Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Boxing greats

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Hallett wrote:
Aberblue89 wrote:Hold on no-one has said the name of one of boxings greats yet ... A-Force "Audley Harrison" :lol:

Genius

:lol: He's spent more time on the deck than Jay Bothroyd did last season

I wouldn't go that far ;)

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Interesting bit of info here, did you know that the sayings "come up to Scratch" and "Toe the line" and "Stake Money" came from the days of Bare knuckle fighting. They used to make a ring with Stakes driven in the ground at each corner and the money was put in a Purse (another saying which is still used) and tied to the stake so both fighters could see it, hence Stake money.
In the middle of the ring was a line made by a scratch. They didn't have rounds by minutes back then it was until a knockdown and that ended a round so then the boxers had to Come up scratch and toe the line. If they failed then they didn't come up to scratch and the other fighter was awarded the victory.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:29 pm

taffyapple wrote:
LiamD wrote:Cannot believe Joe Frazier hasn't had a mention here - the guy had a permanent crooked left arm and 50% eye sight and still managed to beat the best heavyweights around (bar foreman).. He was quiet and humble and was and still is very underrated.. Not like clay who I believe to be very overrated

Liam, Muhammad Ali, or Clay or whatever you want to call him fought and beat everybody
in his era. Even when he got beat he always got back in that ring, even with Ken Norton
who broke his jaw, and Joe Frazier (who also broke his jaw) Boxing was a different entity back
then... none of this "i got a sore toe" bollocks!!... Even his sworn enemies admit he had
the heart of a lion. Over-rated?? nah.

As a boxer he was great there's no doubting that but as a person like mayweather he has taken a shine off his talent by being a complete tool, the way he treated Frazier was a joke and nobody else would have gotten away with it.. Everybody who gets in the ring has a heart of a lion to me - takes unbelievable bollocks to do it.. I just feel clay was an idiot for doing the rope a dope and taking punches willingly when he could move as well as he did (he got Parkinson's in his mid thirties) that to me is not good boxing

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:28 pm

As someone said to me tonight Nigel Benn. One of the bravest fighters i have seen :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:10 am

in the words of comedian eddie murphy in his film "coming to america"

HOW COMES EVERYTIME A BLACK MAN MENTION CASSIUS CLAY A WHITE GUY GOTTA MENTION ROCKY MARCIANO

Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:28 am

@liamd

To say rope a dope tactics was not good boxing is sheer ignorance! You couldnt dance around foreman with speed as he was a master at cutting off the ring, he would of knocked ali down within minutes!! Foreman is still regarded as the hardest puncher the sport has seen and the fact ali leant back on the ropes hence rope a dope stopped him going down as he could lean back from foremans headshots. Ali wasxa great tactician and was one of the greatest of all time.

As for Rocky Marciano, gr8 record, dirty fighter! His tactics arent allowed in todays game. Punching the opponents arms until their "dead" and can barely hold them up. Not saying he wasnt a very good fighter, but his record is better than his ability

Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:30 am

CraigCCFC wrote:@liamd

To say rope a dope tactics was not good boxing is sheer ignorance! You couldnt dance around foreman with speed as he was a master at cutting off the ring, he would of knocked ali down within minutes!! Foreman is still regarded as the hardest puncher the sport has seen and the fact ali leant back on the ropes hence rope a dope stopped him going down as he could lean back from foremans headshots. Ali wasxa great tactician and was one of the greatest of all time.

As for Rocky Marciano, gr8 record, dirty fighter! His tactics arent allowed in todays game. Punching the opponents arms until their "dead" and can barely hold them up. Not saying he wasnt a very good fighter, but his record is better than his ability

Marciano hit his opponents from the knees up

Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:54 am

Ignorance - boxing is about hitting and not getting hit.. Clay stood there and took punches off the biggest hitter out there and that's good boxing? Apart from the 10 secs when he attacked Foreman the fight was boring.. If he's as great as everyone says he is then he would have boxed him instead of being a punch bag and maybe he'd be in a better state now.. All I'm saying is you'd never tell a learning boxer to ever fight like he did that night

Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:58 am

LiamD wrote:

Ignorance - boxing is about hitting and not getting hit.. Clay stood there and took punches off the biggest hitter out there and that's good boxing? Apart from the 10 secs when he attacked Foreman the fight was boring.. If he's as great as everyone says he is then he would have boxed him instead of being a punch bag and maybe he'd be in a better state now.. All I'm saying is you'd never tell a learning boxer to ever fight like he did that night

how else could he have won? no-one gave him a chance, look what foreman did to frazier! Ali did what he could to win, only tactics he could have used. Modern boxing is about hitting without getting hit, these guys fought when it was pretty much last man standing.......2 totally different eras, and imo the current era is inferior.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:44 am

I felt i was privileged to have been alive and witnessed the heavyweight scene in the 70s the likes we will never see again. Since then that division is pants, the recent fight between Klitschko and Haye just backed it up.
As for Tyson even in his prime he would never beat Ali, Foreman, Spinks, Frazier, Holmes never !!

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:58 am

not going to argue who is the greatest of all time because im not lucky enough to have been alive to see so many great fighters from past eras. im just gonna say that mayweather is clearly the best of this generation. nobody comes close to him and he will never get beaten. there is absolutely no doubt he will take pac-man apart when they get in the ring, completely school him for 7 or 8 rounds before finishing him off. its an easy nights work for mayweather, no doubt. doesnt matter about judges, referees, anything, floyd easily picks him apart. it will be simular to his fight with gatti, a counter punching masterclass before a stoppage whilst a mile ahead on the cards!

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:14 am

tazmania wrote:not going to argue who is the greatest of all time because im not lucky enough to have been alive to see so many great fighters from past eras. im just gonna say that mayweather is clearly the best of this generation. nobody comes close to him and he will never get beaten. there is absolutely no doubt he will take pac-man apart when they get in the ring, completely school him for 7 or 8 rounds before finishing him off. its an easy nights work for mayweather, no doubt. doesnt matter about judges, referees, anything, floyd easily picks him apart. it will be simular to his fight with gatti, a counter punching masterclass before a stoppage whilst a mile ahead on the cards!

U sir are mental :lol:

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:27 am

CraigCCFC wrote:
tazmania wrote:not going to argue who is the greatest of all time because im not lucky enough to have been alive to see so many great fighters from past eras. im just gonna say that mayweather is clearly the best of this generation. nobody comes close to him and he will never get beaten. there is absolutely no doubt he will take pac-man apart when they get in the ring, completely school him for 7 or 8 rounds before finishing him off. its an easy nights work for mayweather, no doubt. doesnt matter about judges, referees, anything, floyd easily picks him apart. it will be simular to his fight with gatti, a counter punching masterclass before a stoppage whilst a mile ahead on the cards!

U sir are mental :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: i suppose its all about opinion but i am willing to back my judgement all the way. pac-man is not in the same league as floyd. i have watched every floyd fight in the last 10 years and seen him take 1 clean punch in all that time (mosley) whereas i have watched practically every pacman fight since he was on the lewis-tyson bill and he gets caught every fight. lets face it, the 2 fights against marquez, pacman lost them in all reality! marquez is just a poor mans floyd. styles make fights and floyds style is all wrong for pacman. he will get picked apart and outclassed

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:31 am

I agree with you on the result, but i dont think it will be quite as easy as you make out. Floyd is a counterpuncher, but will he be able to read pac-mans esp with the angles he throws them from? One thing i do know, this fight has to happen!!

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:41 am

CraigCCFC wrote:I agree with you on the result, but i dont think it will be quite as easy as you make out. Floyd is a counterpuncher, but will he be able to read pac-mans esp with the angles he throws them from? One thing i do know, this fight has to happen!!

ok maybe i am making it sound a little easier than it will be but i truly believe pacman is made for floyd to bring his best and totally outclass him. but on the other side there is no doubt pac will push him. i just think its gonna make floyd bring his absolute best and given the styles i dont think pacquiao will live with him on the night.
and yes the fight HAS to happen and i did have my doubts but after watchin floyd talk at the victor ortiz press conference the other day i think he means business and is ready for it. i think he'l take ortiz then pacman then khan and maybe 1 more mega fight after that and call it a day.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:52 am

tazmania wrote:
CraigCCFC wrote:I agree with you on the result, but i dont think it will be quite as easy as you make out. Floyd is a counterpuncher, but will he be able to read pac-mans esp with the angles he throws them from? One thing i do know, this fight has to happen!!

ok maybe i am making it sound a little easier than it will be but i truly believe pacman is made for floyd to bring his best and totally outclass him. but on the other side there is no doubt pac will push him. i just think its gonna make floyd bring his absolute best and given the styles i dont think pacquiao will live with him on the night.
and yes the fight HAS to happen and i did have my doubts but after watchin floyd talk at the victor ortiz press conference the other day i think he means business and is ready for it. i think he'l take ortiz then pacman then khan and maybe 1 more mega fight after that and call it a day.

I reckon he fights Khan after Ortiz, reason being khan is the
Most similar fighter to pacman out there for floyd, his handspeed and the fact he spars with pacman regularly makes him ideal preperation for the big one!! I think floyd wins on points and announces his retirement in the post fight interview

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:03 pm

But i started the thread, to state a Boxer you think is a great or changed the way boxing has performed then you can nominate another if you want. Its not a thread to say pound for pound who is the best ever. Its gone a little of track here.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:07 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:But i started the thread, to state a Boxer you think is a great or changed the way boxing has performed then you can nominate another if you want. Its not a thread to say pound for pound who is the best ever. Its gone a little of track here.

Everytime people talk about boxing the mayweather pacman debate surfaces due to the fact this fight will be bigger than anything to date, even more anticipated than hearns v haggler!