Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

O/T Pest Control

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Just come home to discover we have a rat - unfortunately rather than just shut the door to the utility room where it was my wife ran upstairs. No idea where it is now and have to "deal with it". Too late to contact all the companies I have tried so far. Can anyone recommend anyone in the Caerphilly area?

Re: O/T Pest Control

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Bedwas Bluebird wrote:Just come home to discover we have a rat - unfortunately rather than just shut the door to the utility room where it was my wife ran upstairs. No idea where it is now and have to "deal with it". Too late to contact all the companies I have tried so far. Can anyone recommend anyone in the Caerphilly area?

Put it on the Planet Inbred board they eat them !!!!

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:00 pm

just bumping this, as i wouldnt fancy drifting off to sleep with a rat lurking :shock:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:06 am

milly44 wrote:just bumping this, as i wouldnt fancy drifting off to sleep with a rat lurking :shock:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Bump!!! Is that rat still about? Watch him cos they like to sit on the end of the brekkie table :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:09 am

Check your utility room for any holes where the rat has got in and block it up. Cut off the bottom of a plastic bottle to make a small dish. Then mix some peanut butter with some bicarb (baking soda). If you haven got peanut butter, mix flour/sugar/bicarb. Put this mixture in the small dish and put it in your utility room. The rat will then eat the sweet mixture.The bicarb reacts with stomach acid to produce a carbon dioxide gas. As a rat cannot burp or fart, it will internally combust. Keep checking to see if any food has gone or for a dead rat.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:44 am

I could remember when we had a rat my mum phoned the council she said 'I've got a rat in my kitchen' she said almost went into a rendition of the UB40 song :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:57 am

I had a wasp's nest up until yesterday, best thing to do is contact your local council mate. Hope it's sorted :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:05 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:I had a wasp's nest up until yesterday, best thing to do is contact your local council mate. Hope it's sorted :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

My late Uncle got rid of his Wasp nest by spraying fly spray in a hoover, borrowed his mate's gas mask with a coat over himself and he hoovered them out the nutter :shock:

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:57 am

ackers1927 wrote:Check your utility room for any holes where the rat has got in and block it up. Cut off the bottom of a plastic bottle to make a small dish. Then mix some peanut butter with some bicarb (baking soda). If you haven got peanut butter, mix flour/sugar/bicarb. Put this mixture in the small dish and put it in your utility room. The rat will then eat the sweet mixture.The bicarb reacts with stomach acid to produce a carbon dioxide gas. As a rat cannot burp or fart, it will internally combust. Keep checking to see if any food has gone or for a dead rat.

Didnt know they cudnt fart or burp. Anyway, I have heard a similar remedy, mix some cheese, onion, and little bit of black pepper onto a slice of bread, and if the rat dont show his face any time soon then at least you have got sarnies ready to sit it out and wait for the bugger! :ayatollah: Failing that go and borrow next door's cat ;)

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Wife didn't appreciate the UB40 song (no sense of humour - perhaps she will understand why her comments of "It's only a game" are so offensive now!) Have blocked up the holes in the wall to the utility room and added chicken wire. Haven't seen it since but the council should be contacting me to come around with some poison (although the bicarb option sounds more fun). I had no idea that rats couldn't burp or fart - what do male rats do for entertainment? As for cats, we have two - bloody useless. They crossed their arms, showed no emotion and are refusing to talk to the Echo :lol:

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:09 pm

Bedwas Bluebird wrote:Just come home to discover we have a rat - unfortunately rather than just shut the door to the utility room where it was my wife ran upstairs. No idea where it is now and have to "deal with it". Too late to contact all the companies I have tried so far. Can anyone recommend anyone in the Caerphilly area?

Company called ecolab in caerphilly

Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Gegs,

Moles can fart though. Perhaps it needs one of Moleys "Special Farts". They won't come back after that.

Moley

Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:06 pm

trouble with poision is they can die where you can't recover the body.If I was you I'd get a rat trap from B+Q in caerphilly and put a walnut or some bird seed on it.Its an urban myth that rats like cheese and other processed food,they will go for it but they go mad for grain and nuts.Never failed me.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:07 pm

chicken wire :!: it'll walk right through the holes of that, and if you've doubled,trebled or even quadroupled it to make the holes smaller, it'll just chew through it, needs to be stainless steel mesh, If you ever have a problem again and want a quick responce, call 0800 587 05 06 or 02920 865080 http://www.europest.co.uk/index.html they're on your doorstep mate...

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u9a6l54idU

Sorry.. had too. :lol: