Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Even if we do get Eremenko, Goodwillie, Bellamy etc

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:29 pm

We will still only be on a par attacking wise to last season, that's how I would feel comparing our attackers on paper anyway. I think some of us are being naive thinking we are going to go up if we sign these players. Last season showed it doesn't matter how many goals we score if we have a rubbish defence behind us leaking goals.

I don't think we will have the same problems defensively this season with Malky in charge because for once, we have added a few midfielders with high energy levels who will hopefully add more protection to our defence, but we still have the same defensive players apart from Taylor so far. If we don't bring in at least one new centre back, I worry the defence will let us down once again this season.

I'm not knocking McNaughton, Gerrard, Hudson and Quinn as I feel that back 4 would be solid enough this season. Hopefully Taylor will make that left back spot his own as well which will probably mean Quinn would be on the bench. But we're all aware of potential injuries and suspensions and I seriously think we lack the strength in depth in the centre of defence. Gyepes is finished as far as i'm concerned and I know the majority of you still rate Keinan, but personally I thought he showed his limitations at the end of the season and he really struggled. I don't think we would be solid at the back if Dekal Keinan played the whole season, I think the end of last season showed that. I also think Darcy is better as a full back, so for me, I think it's essential we sign another good centre back.

My worry with our centre backs is consistancy, Hudson overall was good last season, but he has still had his poor games, as has Gerrard previously, although i'm sure he'll come back to us a better player this season after his loan with Hull and with Malky getting him fit pre-season. The whole squad should be much fitter this season than the last 6 seasons under DJ, so perhaps we should all wait and see how our current squad performs?

We will add to our attack, there is no doubt about that, but will our attack have a solid, tough defence behind them able to show the mental toughness to cut out the silly mistakes that gave away goals last season and grind out clean sheets? Personally, it's still an area of concern for me, and I think it's an area that should be strengthened, but with some new hard working, high energy midfielders in front to protect our defence, I would be willing to give everyone a chance.

So what are your opinions? Do you feel we should add to our defence as well as our attack? Or are you happy with what we've got for defenders at the moment?

Re: Even if we do get Eremenko, Goodwillie, Bellamy etc

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

New Strikers at the moment is more important than the defence. If we get Eremenko, Goodwillie and Bellamy, i'd like us to move for 1 more winger and one more centre mid. And then if there is any more of the budget available i'd move for a centre back :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:40 pm

I remember reading somewhere Malky said he would strengthen all areas and that includes the defense, this was after we'd signed Taylor so don't be too surprised if do.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:52 pm

I would like to see our defence addd to, but I agree that other areas are more essential right now. I think we need another 2 strikers and another winger, plus a defensive midfielder perhaps. Would still like to see cover in all areas mind, perhaps i'm being greedy hoping for another defender but I believe in the phrase "if you don't concede a goal, you can't lose a game". We were conceding too many sloppy goals last season, but maybe things will change this season with some new midfielders addding some protection?

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:55 pm

We were let down last season with a poor defensive midfield.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:57 pm

I reckon we should offload Gyepes, and bring in a CB, but that's not an immediate priority IMO. Right full-back is fine, and as for LB, we know McNaughton can play there as well as Taylor, and for some strange reason I think Naylor is going to prove us all wrong this season. I'd also like to see Jon Meades given a chance, he's a LB isn't he ?

As I said CB is a position where we have 3 good CBs in Hudson (great season last season), Keinan (people are saying he's crap and struggled towards the end of last season, but for me that's bollocks as he only really played poorly against Reading), and Gerrard (Hull's player of the year last year, but that doesn't mean he's a world-beater all of a sudden!).

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Do we really need another centre half to sit on the bench we have 4 either we get rid of one and buy thats should be the option young mean and hungry to make a mark

right back mac, quinn and blake.

left back taylor and naylor maybe another one.

Whats the young players in first team squad any defenders in there..?

we need another striker, centre mid and a right winger which I guessing Malky looking at with Eremenko, Bellers and Goodwillie

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:23 pm

i definetly think that we strenghten in other areas first, especially another middle player. but i do think gyepes has had is day wiv the city, offload him, and bring a fresh face in :ayatollah: