Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

serious question - do you like the stadium ?

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:16 pm

:lol: :lol: i no i should be gratefull for what we got ect,

but me and my dad have both said although it is great to have a new stadium with more seats, i hate the plastic panels, not enough glass and hate being part of this new 'ikea flat pack' generation like many other championship clubs are going for. I agree it must be very cost effective,

Personally would much rather have spent the money refurbishing Ninian, like some other clubs have done, craven cottage, stamford bridge, old trafford ect.

also how much did our stadium cost ? i have no clue about 30mill ?

Re: serious question - do you like the stadium ?

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:18 pm

Fairly nice stadium but dreadful atmosphere so far... :(

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:19 pm

bluetooth25 wrote:Fairly nice stadium but dreadful atmosphere so far... :(

I believe a huge part of that is due to the stadium tho ?

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:21 pm

carpet20 wrote:

I think it may be down to the stewards and the design of the stadium seems to suck up noise

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:25 pm

Yup love it

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:26 pm

carpet20 wrote::lol: :lol: i no i should be gratefull for what we got ect,

but me and my dad have both said although it is great to have a new stadium with more seats, i hate the plastic panels, not enough glass and hate being part of this new 'ikea flat pack' generation like many other championship clubs are going for. I agree it must be very cost effective,

Personally would much rather have spent the money refurbishing Ninian, like some other clubs have done, craven cottage, stamford bridge, old trafford ect.

also how much did our stadium cost ? i have no clue about 30mill ?

no :(

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:27 pm

bluetooth25 wrote:
carpet20 wrote:

I think it may be down to the stewards and the design of the stadium seems to suck up noise

I'VE CAUGHT YOU AGAIN! CLOSSEE DOWN FIREFOX!

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:30 pm

It's ok,atmosphere should improve now as the players wont be suckin the life out of us so much unlike last season with their gutless performances,stadium itself i have no complaints with inside...although looks a bit tacky from the outside im not to keen on the perspex sheetin on the corners would look better if it was glass IMO...looks fine in the nite though :lol: when its all lit up

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:32 pm

It's a nice ground but to similar to other new grounds, madjeski, riverside, pride park, st marys etc, no individuality, no character and the lego cladding defo gotta be replaced by stone. I think like the vast majority of fans would've preferred a redevelopment of ninian although I don't think that was an option.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:36 pm

The simple question is, would we have attracted players without it? Everyone who signs for us these days say in their interview "The set up here is amazing, THE STADIUM, the training facilities are top class."

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:43 pm

It's an awful piece of architecture, plastic, bland cheap looking thing, fookin horrible.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:48 pm

AfanBluebird wrote:The simple question is, would we have attracted players without it? Everyone who signs for us these days say in their interview "The set up here is amazing, THE STADIUM, the training facilities are top class."

well said,i hadnt thought of it like that,i just dont like the place :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:05 pm

The atmo will improve next season now that passionless waste of space Jones has gone. I really do believe that Malky and his team will introduce some long lost Soul to the CCS

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:10 pm

the inside is awesome the outside could do with a bit of work maybe the removal of those ummm..... Cardiff Blues badges :lol:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:29 pm

AfanBluebird wrote:The simple question is, would we have attracted players without it? Everyone who signs for us these days say in their interview "The set up here is amazing, THE STADIUM, the training facilities are top class."

good post i hadent thought of that, however surely if the money had been spent on a regeneration of ninian that could have been just as good ? many players have said in the past they hated playing against us at ninian , so playing for us was always nice as a player.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:06 pm

its a decent stadium, not much different to the madejski or kc stadium...

re the atmosphere, we knew it was going to take a season or two to sort out as people will move to new areas accordingly... i think this yr we will see a much better atmosphere for a number of reasons..

the new manager and team deserve it...

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:24 pm

with DJ gone, i can see a better atmosphere for next season. sounds mad but i just think having a big change will spur the fans on.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:41 pm

carpet20 wrote:

I don't agree....QPR and Pompey last season shows the atmosphere we can generate there. I think the atmosphere generally suffered last season because of the high level of expectation surrounding us, and the pressure that we all felt. It seemed to just take the fun away, as we were all more concerned with getting promotion than we were with enjoying the football.

Personally I'm indifferent about the stadium. I mean it's ok, it does the job, everything works, it's about the right size, it's clean and it's got good facilities.....but it does lack that X-factor and that uniqueness that sets it apart from any other flatpack ikea stadium. A unique wave-like roof, or large grandstand that extends well above the roofline of the rest of the stadium would have been nice, as would a welsh stamp on the stadium.....like a giant steel dragon sculpture outside the away end of the ninian stand to welcome our visiting away support! :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:59 pm

How many "old" grounds did we go to last season and ousting them? I don't believe these comments about the stadium, it's all about the fans.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:27 am

Always hard moving to a new stadium as it's difficult to keep the tradition and atmosphere.
Don't think the layout or design is massively to blame - just everyone getting used to new surroundings (must confess I'm a rugby fan too :oops: and going to Blues games is awful - Stadium is way too big for the team and they should never have left the Arms Park imo).

Think as seasons pass it will get better and better, we've proven that we can create an amazing atmosphere there already- (QPR, Swansea games, Bellers debut v Doncaster, Playoff Semi-final).

Maybe not as intimidating as Ninian was, which is a shame as teams really used to hate coming to Cardiff.

Not a massive fan of the lego brick look on the outside but once you're through the gates I think it's a very good stadium and I'm glad we've got it
:ayatollah:

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:34 am

I like it. Ninian Park was a great place to be, but we had to move with the times. I have my doubts that players like Goodwillie, Bellamy, Keinan, Parkin etc would even think about coming to us if we were still at Ninian. We all miss it, and I for one always glance over at those houses whenever I walk past.

It is a fantastic stadium, and will be even better when it gets expanded. Imagine about 35,000 people in there against someone like Man Utd - that will bring the atmosphere together. The atmosphere will come in time, every team have difficulties when moving to a new ground. Look at Boro!

I've been told that the stadium cost between £40m and £50m, though not sure how reliable this is. We should be proud of our stadium, though. It's one of the best in the Championship, and better than most in the Premier Division. We're a big club now, and a lot of that is down to the stadium move.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:40 am

Bluebird_in_Barry wrote:
carpet20 wrote:

I don't agree....QPR and Pompey last season shows the atmosphere we can generate there. I think the atmosphere generally suffered last season because of the high level of expectation surrounding us, and the pressure that we all felt. It seemed to just take the fun away, as we were all more concerned with getting promotion than we were with enjoying the football.

Personally I'm indifferent about the stadium. I mean it's ok, it does the job, everything works, it's about the right size, it's clean and it's got good facilities.....but it does lack that X-factor and that uniqueness that sets it apart from any other flatpack ikea stadium. A unique wave-like roof, or large grandstand that extends well above the roofline of the rest of the stadium would have been nice, as would a welsh stamp on the stadium.....like a giant steel dragon sculpture outside the away end of the ninian stand to welcome our visiting away support! :ayatollah:

I think the welsh dragon idea is a great one! Would take away the bland outside the stadium :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:14 am

Yes I like the new stadium. Very comfortable, but it needs work on:-

Look - make it more Cardiff like, more colour, flags etc.
Atmosphere - needs defo work
Car parking - i hate seeing empty spaces on match days
more places to put your pint in the concourses.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:51 am

not being funny but when the jacks call it legoland...its a fair description!

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Lads, let's be totally honest the atmosphere last season apart from one or two matches was poor but for next season with the Canton and The Ninian vying for best vocal end and the whole " new era about to start" feeling we will be well up for it and the atmosphere will be tremendous. We have got a SUPERB stadium and I for one am very proud of it and as someone has already said, when we walk towards it for a night game the blue glow sends a shiver of excitement through me, It's our home, I love it and let's all be proud of it. BLUE ARMY! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:35 pm

I dont like it. It has no character and looks like every other new stadium built in the country. Ninian Park anyday!

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Only us the fans can make the atmosphere :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:52 pm

i love the stadium :)

fans make the atmosphere not the stadium

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:15 pm

jezzy666 wrote:i love the stadium :)

fans make the atmosphere not the stadium

I don't like the stadium.

I agree but over-zealous stewards are the problem in my eyes.

I prefer away games now, which never used to be the case.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:29 pm

bluebirds over.... wrote:It's an awful piece of architecture, plastic, bland cheap looking thing, fookin horrible.

I dont think winning awards for architecture were part of the remit when building the stadium somehow.