Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CARDIFF CITY 1-0 CHARLTON ATHLETIC: MATCH REPORT

Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:45 pm

From the Charlton website :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Charlton slipped to their first pre-season defeat of the summer with a 1-0 loss to Cardiff City in Spain on Friday evening.

Played in stifling heat at the Estadio Guadalquivir del Coria CF in Sevilla, Charlton fashioned the first chance of the game in the ninth minute but Ruben Bover-Izquierdo, impressive in the first two friendlies, blazed over from 25 yards.

Tthe Bluebirds, with former Charlton captain Mark Hudson in their back four, then went close to opening the scoring, only for John Sullivan to make a scrambling save from Aaron Wildig's header.

On 18 minutes, Bover-Izquierdo fired over after pouncing on a loose ball and Championship outfit Cardiff went in front soon afterwards, triallist Rudy Gestade robbing Bradley Pritchard of possession and bursting clear to score with a low finish.

Charlton could not have come closer to equalising just before the break, Michael Morrison seeing a header hit the bar after meeting Bover-Izquierdo's cross. From the follow up, Pritchard smashed a volley agaomst the woodwork from 22 yards.

A minute before the break, Pritchard and Paul Benson were inches away from connecting with a driven cross from Scott Wagstaff as Charlton finished the first period on top.

As he had done in Charlton's previous two friendlies, Chris Powell fielded an entirely different team for the second half.

Bradley Wright-Phillips, a scorer against Bristol City on Tuesday, saw a low shot saved by the Cardiff goalkeeper on 53 minutes.

Then, in a game of few chances in a disjointed second 45, Wright-Phillips raced through with seven minutes remaining, only to see the Cardiff keeper superbly keep out his effort as the Bluebirds, who also made 11 changes at the break, held on for the victory.

Re: CARDIFF CITY 1-0 CHARLTON ATHLETIC: MATCH REPORT

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:01 pm

Seems we were second best from that report but we grinded it out. That's something we may not have been able to do last season. Considering Charlton had already played 2 friendlies before tonight and we have a lot of new players gelling, I am more than happy that firstly we won, and secondly, we kept a clean sheet. This will bring everyone on and we will only improve as the season approaches.

Interesting that it describes Gestade as "bursting clear" for his goal. Does this suggest he has a bit of pace?

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:21 pm

"Cardiff keeper" ?

Bit lazy if you ask me :lol:

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:23 pm

marshall

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:24 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:"Cardiff keeper" ?

Bit lazy if you ask me :lol:

They probably didn't know who was in goals for us. :lol:

I'm assuming it was Santiago is the whole team changed at half time.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:27 pm

actually it was santiago

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:28 pm

I bet its a lot more City oriented in the Echo Tomorrow,,,that report was for Charlton fans.