Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Banter is one thing, racism is another

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:03 pm

Some people should learn that. There is nothing in this world that justifies racism or discrimination of any other form. No one is better for having a certain skin colour or being born in a certain country because you have no control over these factors in terms of genetics.

Its extremely likely we have fans who are different to each and everyone of us. Some will have a different skin colour, some will be from other countries and so on. As humans, we are all different. Some need to grow up and realise some of the things they say can hurt/offend not only other people but those who have relatives who are not of British descent.

So yeah, stop the racism, whether you see it as a joke or not, not everyone see's it that way and other people have a different outlook on things, which they're quite entitled to.

Just think before you post, thats all im saying.

Re: Banter is one thing, racism is another

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:04 pm

This is getting out of hand sort it ffs

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:21 pm

Totally agree it's out of order, but it's only the internet, people need to realise this and stop taking all comments so personally. I've been called many things but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've lost count of the number of times (especially on the other board) where someone disagrees with me, then when I try to debate rationally I instead get verbally abused and it all gets out of hand.

One of the current mods on this forum even called one of my opinions "f*cking pathetic" as he had a difference of opinion. But that doesn't make me moan and whinge and stop me coming on here. Unfortunately, not everyone are good, decent, polite people and it's inevitable there'll be the odd "nerd/keyboard warrior" thinking he's big and hard hiding behind his computer abusing someone.

Now if you're prepared to let these idiots win and drive you away that's up to you, but I think the best thing to do is either ignore them, or just laugh off their pathetic insults and don't rise to the bait. Afterall, they wouldn't have the guts to say these insults to your face, and that's exactly why the internet shouldn't be taken seriously.

To be honest, if I went on an African messageboard and one of their locals called me for example, a white, vanilla faced sheepsh@gger, I wouldn't kick up a fuss and let it upset me, I would just laugh.

After saying all that however, racism is completely out of order and shouldn't be tolerated. It just saddens me that I see some people on here actually being driven away because of these sad, pathetic low lives.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:23 pm

NinianBluebird1927 wrote:Some people should learn that. There is nothing in this world that justifies racism or discrimination of any other form. No one is better for having a certain skin colour or being born in a certain country because you have no control over these factors in terms of genetics.

Its extremely likely we have fans who are different to each and everyone of us. Some will have a different skin colour, some will be from other countries and so on. As humans, we are all different. Some need to grow up and realise some of the things they say can hurt/offend not only other people but those who have relatives who are not of British descent.

So yeah, stop the racism, whether you see it as a joke or not, not everyone see's it that way and other people have a different outlook on things, which they're quite entitled to.

Great post

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:35 pm

I DONT KNOW HOW MAY TIMES WE HAVE TO SAY IT - BUT EVERY ONE MOANS ABOUT IT - BUT NOBODY REPORTS THE POSTS - IF IT BOTHERS YOU AND YOU WANT MODERATORS TO LOOK AT IT - WE WONT SEE IT - UNLESS YOU REPORT IT!

JUST TO REMIND YOU - YOU REPORT A POST BY CLICK THE EXCLAMTION MARK NEAR THE "QUOTE" TAB!

THANK YOU :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:38 pm

NinianBluebird1927 wrote:Some people should learn that. There is nothing in this world that justifies racism or discrimination of any other form. No one is better for having a certain skin colour or being born in a certain country because you have no control over these factors in terms of genetics.

CAN YOU please point out/ quote such an instance?? please...

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:41 pm

There is a lot of hypocrisy that goes on with this subject. We had one Poster who had a barney over an alleged Racist thread then went on a rant on Christianity, then he defended himself with i hate Religion. But not long ago when the Muslim faith was put under the microscope then he went on another barney. So can you see where i am coming from with the hypocrisy.

Would you be up in arms if i said something not very nice about someone from up North ? Doubt it. Or have you had a go at Swansea fans calling them Gypos, or mocking them ? I bet you have !! but its not there fault they were born in Swansea is it ?.
Or why should you get upset about someone from a distant land ? Is it because you think it must be embarrassing for them to admit that there heritage originates from that land? But most of all !! Say for instance, any one from African Countries or Asian Countries do not discriminate against other Countries or take the Piss ? Its Human nature. I have a sense of humour that says no one is exempt from some humour or banter. Say i may make a Black joke but i bet my bottom dollar that they have loads to throw back.

People need to lighten up the really PC brigade i find are just hypocrites because half the time they think it must be really embarrassing to come from these Countries that they have to tell people not to mention it. Again if you don't like a threads content dont read it.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:48 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:There is a lot of hypocrisy that goes on with this subject. We had one Poster who had a barney over an alleged Racist thread then went on a rant on Christianity, then he defended himself with i hate Religion. But not long ago when the Muslim faith was put under the microscope then he went on another barney. So can you see where i am coming from with the hypocrisy.

Would you be up in arms if i said something not very nice about someone from up North ? Doubt it. Or have you had a go at Swansea fans calling them Gypos, or mocking them ? I bet you have !! but its not there fault they were born in Swansea is it ?.
Or why should you get upset about someone from a distant land ? Is it because you think it must be embarrassing for them to admit that there heritage originates from that land? But most of all !! Say for instance, any one from African Countries or Asian Countries do not discriminate against other Countries or take the Piss ? Its Human nature. I have a sense of humour that says no one is exempt from some humour or banter. Say i may make a Black joke but i bet my bottom dollar that they have loads to throw back.

People need to lighten up the really PC brigade i find are just hypocrites because half the time they think it must be really embarrassing to come from these Countries that they have to tell people not to mention it. Again if you don't like a threads content dont read it.

here, here... at fecking last.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:There is a lot of hypocrisy that goes on with this subject. We had one Poster who had a barney over an alleged Racist thread then went on a rant on Christianity, then he defended himself with i hate Religion. But not long ago when the Muslim faith was put under the microscope then he went on another barney. So can you see where i am coming from with the hypocrisy.

Thats up to you how you view it. The banter between rival football clubs is a long ongoing thing that comes from both sides. We have banter with Swansea, Swansea have banter with us. The thing is, a lot of us have had a laugh with Swansea fans face to face. They are no different to us, except their passion lies with a different club, a club who are geographically near us so we regard them as rivals.

Racism online can offend anyone who is viewing the site, a much larger audience than the Cardiff/Swansea rivalry. Also, football banter is accepted and always will be unless it gets out of hand like the Istanbul chants which are frowned upon. Racism should always be frowned upon.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:10 pm

NinianBluebird1927 wrote:

Thats up to you how you view it. The banter between rival football clubs is a long ongoing thing that comes from both sides. We have banter with Swansea, Swansea have banter with us. The thing is, a lot of us have had a laugh with Swansea fans face to face. They are no different to us, except their passion lies with a different club, a club who are geographically near us so we regard them as rivals.

Racism online can offend anyone who is viewing the site, a much larger audience than the Cardiff/Swansea rivalry. Also, football banter is accepted and always will be unless it gets out of hand like the Istanbul chants which are frowned upon. Racism should always be frowned upon.

But Racism towards the Jacks is acceptable is it ? And you are saying other ethnic backgrounds do not take the piss out of white folk ? Yes banter or Jokes whatever you call it between whites and Blacks does come from both sides, Honky or white trash so please don't make out that whites are just plain evil Racists and everyone else are angelic people. Someone is living on planet Pluto here

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:But Racism towards the Jacks is acceptable is it ? And you are saying other ethnic backgrounds do not take the piss out of white folk ? Yes banter or Jokes whatever you call it between whites and Blacks does come from both sides, Honky or white trash so please don't make out that whites are just plain evil Racists and everyone else are angelic people. Someone is living on planet Pluto here

Are you deluded? Swansea supporters have the same ethnic origin as Cardiff supporters. You clearly don't understand the definition of the term 'racism'.

Racism

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

I take part in banter against Swansea fans because they're Swansea supporters and because of the club they follow, not because of their race.

Your logic fails on all levels to put it bluntly.

Also, no one is saying ethnic minorities aren't racist towards us, however, my argument was against racism on here against ethnic minorities. You're also trying say its okay to be racist towards them online because those readers visiting this forum may be racist towards us in real life. Thats borderline ridiculous.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:22 pm

I will again ask the originator, please show proof of these claims...you are stirring.... baker boyyy :oops:

Re: Banter is one thing, racism is anotherp

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:29 pm

As merkin said report it.
Takes about 2 second to report a post which will instantly be marked up for a mod.
Yet I've seen about 10 long posts moaning which I'm guessing took at least 10mins to type up :?

I can't speak for all mods but I just read the threads that interest me so threads will be missed. If nothing is flagged up a good chance we won't see it

Re: Banter is one thing, racism is anotherp

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:30 pm

2blue2handle wrote:As merkin said report it.
Takes about 2 second to report a post which will instantly be marked up for a mod.
Yet I've seen about 10 long posts moaning which I'm guessing took at least 10mins to type up :?

I can't speak for all mods but I just read the threads that interest me so threads will be missed. If nothing is flagged up a good chance we won't see it

Took me less than 2 minutes to type that out.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:32 pm

So 120 times longer and massively ineffective unless your attention seeking, well done :roll:

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:34 pm

2blue2handle wrote:So 120 times longer and massively ineffective unless your attention seeking, well done :roll:

No, you said it probably took 10 minutes to type out, I just clarified the fact that it took less than 2 minutes to type out.

Also, im not attention seeking, I find it funny how every time someone disagrees with you on here it must be someone attention seeking. In the future I will report it as I have done in the past, hence why I have emails stating reports have been dealt with.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:38 pm

Messageboards are one thing, real life is another

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:39 pm

I rarely say anyone is attention seeking :? Although lot of it about tonight. but I'm guessing this message is in retalitionb to something else (which of course hasn't been reported) so i don't see why this wouldn't have been posted in the same thread :?

And well done on your typing speed :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:40 pm

cardiff uber alles wrote:Messageboards are one thing, real life is another

Some people read and take things online seriously, others don't. I don't in particular but there are people who do and always will and will be offended by certain remarks made on a public forum.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:41 pm

Some people read and take things online seriously, others don't. I don't in particular but there are people who do and always will and will be offended by certain remarks made on a public forum.

Horses for courses, Fck em. Or log off

Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:16 am

cardiff uber alles wrote:

Horses for courses, Fck em. Or log off

No he is right, it's why we have the report button.
Carl, myself and merlin have highlighted this point massively yet it's still ignored despite it taking 1 second to report.
If it's reported then it may it may not be removed but a judgement will made.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:35 am

RACISM is no longer a crime just against colour. A Scottish bloke got fined for
'racially abusing' Craig Bellamy a few years back

Racism is actually a 'percieved crime'... If I come on this board and say "I cant
stand my black neighbour"... it Does NOT IN ANY WAY mean i cant stand him
because of the colour of his skin. Mentioning that he is black is just a description,
same as if he was Irish, Welsh, disabled, gay, Jewish.

HE MIGHT JUST HAPPEN TO BE AN ARSEHOLE

But Sludge, Born Survivor, the dearly departed in tears AHERNE and others would
immediately 'percieve' "I cant stand my black neighbour" to be a racist comment...
when in fact it isnt. (oh yes you would :lol: )

Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:55 am

if you dont take it seriously then and you dont get offended then why the f**k are you making a song and dance about it?? Makes no sense :roll:

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:08 am

taffyapple wrote:RACISM is no longer a crime just against colour. A Scottish bloke got fined for

Racism is actually a 'percieved crime'... If I come on this board and say "I cant
because of the colour of his skin. Mentioning that he is black is just a description,

immediately 'percieve' "I cant stand my black neighbour" to be a racist comment...

Thats a fair enough point. I wouldn't regard it as racist. However, certain terms/words have been used on here that have been racist and thats a fact. I've reported a few of them and it is still happening. There needs to be a few days ban or a weekly ban for people who are not taking on board what the moderators are saying.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:10 am

JonnieBlue wrote:if you dont take it seriously then and you dont get offended then why the f**k are you making a song and dance about it?? Makes no sense :roll:

I don't take it personally offensive but there are people who will, thats all im saying. Everyone thinks differently and some take more offense than others. Thats life and people are right to take offense to something which is regarded in modern society as a racist term. Its racist for a reason so the offense taken on their behalf is justified entirely.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:10 am

Nuclearblue wrote:But Racism towards the Jacks is acceptable is it ? And you are saying other ethnic backgrounds do not take the piss out of white folk ? Yes banter or Jokes whatever you call it between whites and Blacks does come from both sides, Honky or white trash so please don't make out that whites are just plain evil Racists and everyone else are angelic people. Someone is living on planet Pluto here

Are you deluded? Swansea supporters have the same ethnic origin as Cardiff supporters. You clearly don't understand the definition of the term 'racism'.

Racism

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

I take part in banter against Swansea fans because they're Swansea supporters and because of the club they follow, not because of their race.

Your logic fails on all levels to put it bluntly.

Also, no one is saying ethnic minorities aren't racist towards us, however, my argument was against racism on here against ethnic minorities. You're also trying say its okay to be racist towards them online because those readers visiting this forum may be racist towards us in real life. Thats borderline ridiculous.

id say nuclearblue has it spot on, football banter is an acceptable form of racism, youve defined racism very well but you missed out the definition of race.
Race is the classification of humans into large and distinct populations or groups by factors such as heritable phenotypic characteristics or geographic ancestry, but also often influenced by and correlated with triats such as appearance, culture, ethnicity, and socio-economic status.
There for if you really wanted to you could classify swansea supporters as a separate race to our own, though both Cardiff and Swansea have alot of things in common in both appearance (terrace fashion), culture (football), socio-economic status (where are clubs are positioned in the leagues) and can be very different aswell, appearance (cardiff wear blue, swansea wear white), culture (the different chants we sing and our traditions on match days). Both clubs pick on these differences and we call it banter, but view it in someone elses eyes at its about as racist as you can get.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:56 am

taffyapple wrote:RACISM is no longer a crime just against colour. A Scottish bloke got fined for

Thats a fair enough point. I wouldn't regard it as racist. However, certain terms/words have been used on here that have been racist and thats a fact. I've reported a few of them and it is still happening. There needs to be a few days ban or a weekly ban for people who are not taking on board what the moderators are saying.

Fair enough mate. Your a black lad? So if you feel offended by some of the posts then
report away, dont blame you. Its these white people who 'percieve' racism on your and
on other peoples behalf that do my head in. In reality they have no idea what offends
different people, or what someone would 'percieve' to be a joke, or just an ignorant
tw*t to be ignored!!

Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:51 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:id say nuclearblue has it spot on, football banter is an acceptable form of racism, youve defined racism very well but you missed out the definition of race.
Race is the classification of humans into large and distinct populations or groups by factors such as heritable phenotypic characteristics or geographic ancestry, but also often influenced by and correlated with triats such as appearance, culture, ethnicity, and socio-economic status.
There for if you really wanted to you could classify swansea supporters as a separate race to our own, though both Cardiff and Swansea have alot of things in common in both appearance (terrace fashion), culture (football), socio-economic status (where are clubs are positioned in the leagues) and can be very different aswell, appearance (cardiff wear blue, swansea wear white), culture (the different chants we sing and our traditions on match days). Both clubs pick on these differences and we call it banter, but view it in someone elses eyes at its about as racist as you can get.

No. Swansea fans are of the same race as Cardiff fans and always will be unless they have foreign ancestors just like anyone from Cardiff would be with foreign ancestors. They'd then be regarded as mixed race.

We have banter with Swansea and always have done, to regard it as racism is the most ridiculous thing I've ever come across. We have banter with them because they support Swansea. They have banter with us because we support Cardiff, nothing at all to do with ethnic origin or race. Again, as already stated, its a ridiculous comparison and in no way justifies actual racism.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:54 pm

JONNY012697 wrote:id say nuclearblue has it spot on, football banter is an acceptable form of racism, youve defined racism very well but you missed out the definition of race.

No. Swansea fans are of the same race as Cardiff fans and always will be unless they have foreign ancestors just like anyone from Cardiff would be with foreign ancestors. They'd then be regarded as mixed race.

We have banter with Swansea and always have done, to regard it as racism is the most ridiculous thing I've ever come across. We have banter with them because they support Swansea. They have banter with us because we support Cardiff, nothing at all to do with ethnic origin or race. Again, as already stated, its a ridiculous comparison and in no way justifies actual racism.

So you arent offended or bothered by someone calling someone a dirty pikey mother and
sister shagging piece of Swansea scum... cos its "Banter"

Yet calling someone a black b*stard is really bad and evil and should result in jail??

Hate is hate.

Regardless of colour, country, town, religion

Yours is the saddest indictment of our Society ive read. Is our country really so
brainwashed and blinkerered?? :(

Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:07 pm

I really can't stand the way that you always explain your opinions in a reasonable and logical way.Wouldn't it be easier if you were a Bigot? :)