Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gunnarsson wore the armband yesterday

Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:48 pm

In the second half, whilst in the pitch at the same time as Cowie (Malky's Captain at Watford).

I think this is obviously reflective of how much Malky thinks of Aron and probably indicates one of the centre midfield spots is his for the coming season. Who will partner him?

Hudson wore the armband in the first half which more than likely means he will have the priviledged accolade of Captaining Cardiff City this season. Who do you think will partner Hudson in defence? Got to be Gerrard for me.

Re: Gunnarsson wore the armband yesterday

Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:51 pm

Id prefer a defence of Super Kev, Keinan, Gerrard, Taylor

Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:59 pm

I would have rather seen cowie have had it in the 2nd half

he's more experienced and looks alot more vocal than gunarrson

:ayatollah:

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:02 pm

glammy74 wrote:I would have rather seen cowie have had it in the 2nd half

he's more experienced and looks alot more vocal than gunarrson

Yeah, bit of a surprise for me this one was...very interesting. Not against it though :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:02 pm

Th@Und@D@wg wrote:Id prefer a defence of Super Kev, Keinan, Gerrard, Taylor

Why do people always blank Hudson, despite the fact he was a regular under Jones, and would seem to be a regular under Mackay given that he started last night and was captain ? Last season he was excellent, as well as being hugely missed at the end of it (Boro @ home a prime example).

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Thats exactly what I'd like to see, although I do believe Darcy has got loads to offer also :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

Why do people always blank Hudson, despite the fact he was a regular under Jones, and would seem to be a regular under Mackay given that he started last night and was captain ? Last season he was excellent, as well as being hugely missed at the end of it (Boro @ home a prime example).

my back 4 is

Quinn Hudson Keinan Mcnaughton

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

First impressions are everything when considering perception, and Hudson got off to a stinker at the City and if it werent for the fee we paid for him (which was ridiculous imo) he wouldve been dropped and probably would be with another club by now.

Yes he recovered extremely well, however confidence ina defender is built largely on trust, and considering this alot of fans (including myself to a degree) haven't forgotten about his potential for a f**k up and would rather he didnt start.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:13 pm

JonScam wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

First impressions are everything when considering perception, and Hudson got off to a stinker at the City and if it werent for the fee we paid for him (which was ridiculous imo) he wouldve been dropped and probably would be with another club by now.

Yes he recovered extremely well, however confidence ina defender is built largely on trust, and considering this alot of fans (including myself to a degree) haven't forgotten about his potential for a f**k up and would rather he didnt start.

Yes Hudson did better last season but for me he is still far too slow for a professional footballer, everytime he gets turned for pace i shit my pants expecting to see the ball hit the back of the net or HUdson bring the player down.
Also i think he didnt look as bad last season because we were all too busy conentrating on the performances of the other players who were far worse, i.e Naylor, Bywater , etc.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Could be that Gunnar has proved popular in the squad, so he's a (temporary) captain that would be liked and respected, or maybe someone Malky's looking to build up for the future.

Alternatively, maybe he didn't give it to Cowie because he doesn't want any chance of players thinking he favours the Scots in the squad.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Baarmy_Bluebird wrote:Could be that Gunnar has proved popular in the squad, so he's a (temporary) captain that would be liked and respected, or maybe someone Malky's looking to build up for the future.

Alternatively, maybe he didn't give it to Cowie because he doesn't want any chance of players thinking he favours the Scots in the squad.

Fair points, MM could well be managing the team dynamics and effectively creating a team with 'leaders' from 1-11. A successful team has more than one captain on the field :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:32 pm

JonScam wrote:I think this is obviously reflective of how much Malky thinks of Aron and probably indicates one of the centre midfield spots is his for the coming season. Who will partner him?

Probably Whittingham as that's where he started to play last season, but maybe Malky will prefer him on the wing.

Hudson wore the armband in the first half which more than likely means he will have the priviledged accolade of Captaining Cardiff City this season. Who do you think will partner Hudson in defence? Got to be Gerrard for me.

Keinan, but I would like to see how Gerrard does. :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:40 pm

For me I'd like to see, at first, a back 4 of McNaughton, Hudson, Keinan, Taylor. Haven't made my mind up regarding Gerrard. It's all well and good being Hull's player of the year, but let's be totally honest, they weren't a great side. Someone also pointed out the other day that he didn't play that well on the two occasions he faced City. Add those two things to the fact he's human and can make mistakes like anyone else and it doesn't mean that he's one of the best centre-halves in the league. Still, I like him, he's still young and I'm excited to see whether that year at Hull has improved him. Nice to hear he's been working hard in training !

Keinan and Hudson had struck up an excellent partnership last season until Hudson was unfortunately injured at Millwall. I felt we missed something at the back after that, and some games at the end of the season proved me right, as Hudson's intelligence and organising at the back was missed.

Keinan is still a very good centre-half at this level despite a below-par performance at home in the play-offs against Reading, and he can score a few goals as well, which is always an added bonus coming from a defender.

The arrival of Taylor has meant most people including myself are favouring McNaughton reverting to right-back (god knows when he last played there though!). If Taylor doesn't live up to our expectations however, then McNaughton can always move across to the left leaving Blake or Quinn to come in on the right. If this situation does arise then it doesn't bother me who plays on the right, as I think both of them are better than most full-backs in the league. I would however like to see more of Blake this season, especially at full-back (where, if you remember, he was very good against Sheffield United on the opening day last season, getting forward well. McNaughton was on the left of course, where, as always, he was unbelievable. I know United were eventually relegated but they were two excellent performances nonetheless).

Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:46 pm

JonScam wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

Good point about first impressions. I thought Naylor was good at the beginning but there we are :lol:

Potential for a cock-up ? Fair enough, since it happened a couple of times during 09/10, but I can't recall him making a major error last season. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

But since he was very good last season, and last season was the most recent season, how would you not want him to start. It appears to me that when he plays he's the organiser at the back, the leader (more often than not he is captain though). If Gerrard and Keinan play together, who's going to be the leader, the organiser ? I'm not too sure :?