Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Best Read!!!

Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:33 pm

I'm off on hols this week and wondered if anyone could recommend some good books?

PS - I'm going to get a couple of Annis books at the airport. Which are the best read?

Cheers :D :ayatollah:

Re: Best Read!!!

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:06 pm

I,ve heard the Valleys Rams one is by far the best. :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:12 pm

Game of Thrones, fantastic book and TV series.

On the second one in the series atm, really good so far :D

Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:12 am

Joe Calzaghe's autobiography is a top read as is Robbie Savage's.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:13 am

how much i hated dave jones is another belter

Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:14 am

KP1964 wrote:I'm off on hols this week and wondered if anyone could recommend some good books?

PS - I'm going to get a couple of Annis books at the airport. Which are the best read?

Cheers :D :ayatollah:

Shattered Dreams is the one for me :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:30 am

BigGwynram wrote:I,ve heard the Valleys Rams one is by far the best. :ayatollah:

I agree Gwyn ;) Great read your book :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Shantaram, Gregory Roberts. True story about an ex-junkie who escapes Australia's top security prison and flees to India and goes on the lamb in one of Bombay's shanti towns and ends up working for the Bombay mafia doing all kinds mad stuff. Johnny Depp has the film rights and it's got the potential to be an amazing film to look out for in the future. Main downside to the book is its size...It is bloody massive at nearly a 1000 pages. I certainly didn't get through it all on holiday.

A Long Way Gone, Ishmael Beah. True story about a child soldier in Sierra Leone told first-hand, right from when his village got raided and he got split from his parents and up to rehabilitation and writing the book about his experiences. Again, all kinds of mad things going on. Real page turner and much smaller than the above, easily read in a couple of days.

Hope you get a good read whatever you invest in!

Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:22 pm

just get all of them fella u just cant beat them :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:57 pm

hellraisers. A book about the legendry drinkers burton. reed. Harris. And o- tool
Brilliant read about these legends.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:01 pm

jbirdrules wrote:Game of Thrones, fantastic book and TV series.

On the second one in the series atm, really good so far :D

after watching the series thought i would give the books a go about 2 thirds of the way throught he ist book.

what is the second book like?

Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Howard Marks SeƱor Nice is a good read.

The long-awaited and hugely-entertaining sequel toMr. Nice. During the mid-1980s, Howard Marks had forty-three aliases, eighty-nine phone lines and companies trading throughout the world. At the height of his career he was smuggling consignments of up to fifty tons from Pakistan and Thailand to America and Canada. He was eventually busted and sentenced to twenty-five years in prison at Terre Haute Penitentiary, Indiana for marijuana smuggling. He was released in April 1995, after serving seven years. Senor Nice tells the story of what happened next. After release from prison, Marks changed careers: he wrote two best-selling books, became a sports and travel writer, stood as a parliamentary candidate, and embarked on a long-running sell-out series of one-man shows. While performing in his home town of Kenfig Hill, Wales, an elderly aunt told him of his outlaw ancestry: William Owen, the legendary Welsh smuggler (who had operated for some time in South America) and his great-great-grandfather Patrick McCarty, the half-brother of Billy the Kid, who had joined Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in Patagonia. So, Marks decided to explore South America. His travels took him to Jamaica and Panama in the footsteps of the Welsh buccaneer Henry Morgan; to a search for obscure Welsh settlers in Brazil whom he never found; and a search among the thriving Welsh community in Patagonia for signs of Billy the Kid's half-brother. Richly comic and charged with the sense of adventure that induced this Oxford graduate to become the world's most notorious marijuana smuggler,Senor Niceis the hugely entertaining sequel toMr. Nice

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:39 pm

do you like crime fiction look for two books by tess gerritson the surgeon and the apprentice read them in that order