Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Salary Cap?

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:47 pm

With many professional football clubs income falling way short of expenditure I think it is about time the FA considers bringing in a salary cap for professional football.

I think it would be reasonable for clubs to pay its playing staff say 50% of its turn over. The downside to this of course would mean richer clubs would be able to pay more to the best players.

That said, we already have a "Big Four" in the Premier so i doubt it would make that much difference to that division and there are always going to be clubs who are able to pay more than others. Moreover though, it would enable most clubs to compete an an even keel thus making the season more interesting.

It may also be worth looking at the issue of making the bottom two divisions part time and even to think of introducing regionalisation, as this would create more local derbys and increased gate revenue.

You only have to look closely at a club like Norwich City.

They average crowds of 24,000, have the third best catering facilities on matchdays IN THE WORLD, apart from Barcelona and Arsenal, have their own travel agents, yet apparently they are on the Brink of Administration. If it can happen to them, well it speaks volumes.

Re: Salary Cap?

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:30 pm

I think a salary cap should def come in to force, the quicker the better.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:33 pm

Players wages are ruining the game, they get payed ridiculous amounts of money for doing a job they love.

It needs to be capped otherwise ALL football clubs will eventually be in trouble financially.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:43 pm

a world wide cap is needed on wages, otherwise all the best players in the uk will go abroad