Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

TODAYS PRESS CONFERENCE !!

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:50 pm

Did anybody else catch it??

was on wales online... some very interesting stuff from malkay. ill put below a few things in brief that caught my eye...

* as normal, he hasnt commented on any players with other clubs, giving nothing away.
* Rudy Gestede has gone back to france, and malky Advised they will be talking to his representatives IMMEADIATLY
* Mcphail and quinn still injured, Gerrard and marshal back and fine
* he advised he will be testing the water with other clubs soon, i presume he means putting some bids in for players. no more free signings likely

but what worried me was..

* he said he will be running off a small squad this year

i dont like the sound of that because we need a strong squad if we want to attack this year. he wants 3 more players it seems, fans think 6 !!

thats the only main things i picked up

discuss

Re: TODAYS PRESS CONFERENCE !!

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:57 pm

jezzy666 wrote:Did anybody else catch it??

was on wales online... some very interesting stuff from malkay. ill put below a few things in brief that caught my eye...

* as normal, he hasnt commented on any players with other clubs, giving nothing away.
* Rudy Gestede has gone back to france, and malky Advised they will be talking to his representatives IMMEADIATLY
* he advised he will be testing the water with other clubs soon, i presume he means putting some bids in for players. no more free signings likely

i dont like the sound of that because we need a strong squad if we want to attack this year. he wants 3 more players it seems, fans think 6 !!

discuss

You can do it with a small squad i suppose?

But not with the kind of players our previous manager
was bringing in. Old, overpaid and injured.

If hes going for young fit and gagging to get on that pitch
then i think we'll be ok with a few players less.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:58 pm

discuss

youngsters gonna get a good go then? do you think?

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:00 pm

taffyapple wrote:

discuss

You can do it with a small squad i suppose?

But not with the kind of players our previous manager
was bringing in. Old, overpaid and injured.

If hes going for young fit and gagging to get on that pitch
then i think we'll be ok with a few players less.

exaclty taff think he going for young fight for everything approach still hope for few more players tho :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:02 pm

I think he said that they might have to run off a smaller squad depending on what quality of players are available and for what fee.

12 players is a lot to turn around and Malky is taking the brunt of Dave Jones loan failure.

In Mackay I trust! :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:04 pm

im hoping malky will bring in 3 more players on full contracts ,maybe a couple of loan players and give the young players a chance if good enough,i think we will be fine

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:05 pm

englishbluebird wrote:im hoping malky will bring in 3 more players on full contracts ,maybe a couple of loan players and give the young players a chance if good enough,i think we will be fine

i think he gonna give youngsters a lot of game time this season, lets hope they step up to the plate :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:07 pm

He said along the lines of if needs be we'll run on a smaller squad i.e if he doesn't manage to get the amount of players he's lookin for,i watched the full 18min on CC player

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:09 pm

Here's the full conference! :ayatollah:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -29073754/

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:15 pm

I think the squad of players able to play and put in a shit will be stronger than last season. We had far too many player who were injury prone or crocks before they started.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:17 pm

last year with watford was the same but they died out at the end a bit but hopefully we can have a good start and go from there :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:54 pm

youngsters gonna get a good go then? do you think?[/quote]
YOU DON'T WIN ANYTHING WITH YOUNGSTERS!!!! :roll: ;)

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Everyone is saying a smaller squad than last season, but by my reckoning we are only 1 player short at the moment of the numbers in our squad on the final day of last season.

13 left us, 5 of those were def starters if fit, 4 of them were subs and cover if needed, and 4 were just there to make the numbers up not needed and not contributing to anything!

5 first teamers were
bellers
chops
jay
oli
burke

4 subs/cover
jet
koumas
jls
matthews

4 making the numbers up were
bywater
brown
rae
john

We have signed 6 new players so far, add to that 3 youth players signing up and 3 players returning from loan, so thats 12 so i duno how people are saying our squad will be smaller this season, and malky hasnt finished yet, even if he just adds another 3 more new signings we will be 2 more players more than last season and thats just a minimum, could be more!

Of the 5 first 11 starters i have named above i think we have replaced 3 already they are earnie for chops, cowie for oli and conway for burke, if we can get bellers back and get goodwillie in to replace jay then i think our first 11 will be as strong as last season!

As for the 4 subs/cover players i named, taylor has replaced matthews, gunnerson for koumas, mason for jet and gerrerd returning to free darcy up to replace jls.

And the 4 i named just making the numbers up that we didnt really need and contributed to nothing, we got tawio and wildig back from loan spells and the 3 youngsters signed up full time, evans jarvis and farrah, they cant be no worse than rae john brown and bywater!

So when you look at it like that we aint far off what we had last season already with more to come, in malky we trust, i can see us going close again this season :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:56 pm

Eddie ccfc wrote:Everyone is saying a smaller squad than last season, but by my reckoning we are only 1 player short at the moment of the numbers in our squad on the final day of last season.

13 left us, 5 of those were def starters if fit, 4 of them were subs and cover if needed, and 4 were just there to make the numbers up not needed and not contributing to anything!

5 first teamers were
bellers
chops
jay
oli
burke

4 subs/cover
jet
koumas
jls
matthews

4 making the numbers up were
bywater
brown
rae
john

We have signed 6 new players so far, add to that 3 youth players signing up and 3 players returning from loan, so thats 12 so i duno how people are saying our squad will be smaller this season, and malky hasnt finished yet, even if he just adds another 3 more new signings we will be 2 more players more than last season and thats just a minimum, could be more!

Of the 5 first 11 starters i have named above i think we have replaced 3 already they are earnie for chops, cowie for oli and conway for burke, if we can get bellers back and get goodwillie in to replace jay then i think our first 11 will be as strong as last season!

As for the 4 subs/cover players i named, taylor has replaced matthews, gunnerson for koumas, mason for jet and gerrerd returning to free darcy up to replace jls.

And the 4 i named just making the numbers up that we didnt really need and contributed to nothing, we got tawio and wildig back from loan spells and the 3 youngsters signed up full time, evans jarvis and farrah, they cant be no worse than rae john brown and bywater!

So when you look at it like that we aint far off what we had last season already with more to come, in malky we trust, i can see us going close again this season :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

ha to be honest i didn't even think of it like that :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

well put fair play

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:14 pm

i thought i heard him saying he still needs to get cover in all three positions defence.midfield and forwards he was saying he wants 2 players for every position giving competition and cover hopefully all of an equal ability and he has funds if he needs them :old: :old:

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:15 pm

hes doing a brilliant job so far and thats all i care about theres a new buzz going around Cardiff and tbh im loving it
im not going to be expecting miracles from the Malky like ive always said but in him i trust :lol:
and i think he will a do brilliant job no matter the size of the squad ;)
but i would like at least two loan players in though not to many

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:22 pm

“We need to add strength in depth to this squad before the transfer window closes and we need defenders and midfielders as well as strikers because at the moment there are a lot of kids around the squad who don’t have much experience at this level.

Former Celtic star Mackay says he’s very happy with the calibre of his six signings so far, including internationals Robert Earnshaw, Don Cowie, Craig Conway and Aron Gunnarsson but insists he still has a kitty at his disposal should he need it.

Very happy reading that myself. I think we can expect more than 3 players in. See how we go until xmas and i'm sure if we are in the mix then funds will be provided (for new players) to kick on towards the end of the season. I am full of hope. I think we have ourselves a first class managerial operator (in the transfer market) in Malky Mackay and we all see how well Watford played on the pitch. I don't know about anyne else here but I am really looking forward to this season Malky Mackay has been a breath of freash air. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:38 pm

believe me when i say, it's not a comparison in any way, but - Barcelona won almost everything put in front of them competition wise last season with a playing squad of only 16 outfield players used...so a sizeable squad is always advantagous but not the be all and end all....if malkay can get his players to run through brick walls for him i think we'll be fine with 3 - 4 quality signings..keep the faith people. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: