Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CHAMPIONSHIP BETTER STANDARD THAN SPL!

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:43 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -29085985/

I agree.

there are far more bigger teams in the championship than spl, the standard of player, and overall attendences are far higher..

Anyone can beat anyone on their day.. The prize at stake is higher!

over the last couple of years the quality of players being attracted to the championship are getting higher..

thoughts?

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP BETTER STANDARD THAN SPL!

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:53 am

The only thing that really annoys me about scottish football (call it envy if you like). Even though, as you rightly stated is is not even Championship Standard football, they still have European Qualification :twisted: ]

I personally think the winner of the Championship should enter qualifying stages of a European Tournament (Bit of Extra Incentive for finishing first, rather than second).

Be interesting to see how many people agree/disagree. Thoughts? :D :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:19 am

droopy wrote:The only thing that really annoys me about scottish football (call it envy if you like). Even though, as you rightly stated is is not even Championship Standard football, they still have European Qualification :twisted: ]

I personally think the winner of the Championship should enter qualifying stages of a European Tournament (Bit of Extra Incentive for finishing first, rather than second).

Be interesting to see how many people agree/disagree. Thoughts? :D :ayatollah:

i suppose as a nation they have to be entered into european comp, just like our shocking welsh league...

the only way into europe from the championship is via one of the cups.. like brum this season..

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:26 am

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2011/07/20/championship-better-standard-than-spl-says-cardiff-city-star-craig-conway-91466-29085985/

I agree.

there are far more bigger teams in the championship than spl, the standard of player, and overall attendences are far higher..

over the last couple of years the quality of players being attracted to the championship are getting higher..

thoughts?

I went to see Hearts play Kilmarnock last season, 3rd vs 4th at the time and it was absolutely dire. The first time in my life that I have left a game at half time. Take Celtic and Rangers out of the picture and Scottish football is shocking.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:39 am

scotsjack wrote:
Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2011/07/20/championship-better-standard-than-spl-says-cardiff-city-star-craig-conway-91466-29085985/

I agree.

thoughts?

I went to see Hearts play Kilmarnock last season, 3rd vs 4th at the time and it was absolutely dire. The first time in my life that I have left a game at half time. Take Celtic and Rangers out of the picture and Scottish football is shocking.

says it all!! with an overall average league attend. of just over 13k, if you did take the top two out it would be shocking..

so why are our players attracted to it. ie. loovens, ledley, matthews etc...

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:56 am

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:
scotsjack wrote:

I agree.

thoughts?

says it all!! with an overall average league attend. of just over 13k, if you did take the top two out it would be shocking..

so why are our players attracted to it. ie. loovens, ledley, matthews etc...

The only two things I can imagine are money ( more than likely the case ), or European football? After that match, we went to the pub and met a few Hearts fans, had a very good debate about the standard up there. Now I am a Swans fan and in the end even the Hearts fans were admitting that if either Swansea or Cardiff were in the SPL then they would take 3rd place at least, if not mount a challenge for the title.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:03 am

the only thing i could think of was champions league football... but then even tns went further than celtic last yr in the competiton..

so you have to presume it was for the cash... and the the old firm derby... a couple of big games a year...