Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Free Season

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:39 am

I want to propose something revolutionary. I want to propose that for this season we all abandon our expectations. We all sit back and see this as a free season if you will. I've already accepted this is a re-building season and I have no expectation of watching Premiership football in 2012/13.

Since I came to this decision, life supporting Cardiff has been so much better. I don't get angry at little things, I don't feel down about a lack of star player signings... I feel more content and I am actually more optimistic now.

Malky Mackay left Watford for us. He left a place he has a firm affiliation with and he came here. That shows the level of belief this man has in our football club. That is the decision of a man worth believing in. I don't care if we finish mid-table this season. It's a free season! I just want to see a team that battles and brings the heart back to the club. Mackay is doing that with his signings and I firmly believe we are on the right track. It might take a season or two to get back to the level we were at but the Premiership isn't going anywhere. There's no cut off point.

So lads, join me and just relax. This season will be a lot more fun if you erase the high levels of expectation and come back to the 90s era of thinking. I'm just glad we have a club we can go and support every Saturday. If this season ends in glory, awesome. If not, then nevermind. Life goes on.

I'm determined to just enjoy this season and I hope you can all do that as well. FREE SEASON!!! :ayatollah: :D

Re: Free Season

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:42 am

NEVER !!!

we shall win the league, and we shall win every game and never concede a goal, we shall accept nothing less !!

:)

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:42 am

I've already accepted the fact that, chances are, we won't be going up this season. And I'm happy with that. We've got a new manager come into a thread-bare team and has had to rebuild - If we go up this season Malky will be a legend for more than one reason!

However, realistically I can see it being a 2-season jobby at least, and am prepared for that. :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:44 am

top ten / top half were my expectations when Jones got sacked and all the players left. Im not going to expect miracles from him
Ill happily wait another season to get promoted.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:45 am

Dafydd wrote:I've already accepted the fact that, chances are, we won't be going up this season. And I'm happy with that. We've got a new manager come into a thread-bare team and has had to rebuild - If we go up this season Malky will be a legend for more than one reason!

However, realistically I can see it being a 2-season jobby at least, and am prepared for that. :ayatollah:

The other reason is his massive penis yeah?

That's the spirit lads!!! Free season!!! :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:46 am

Zabier wrote:The other reason is his massive penis yeah?

Well.. Yeah. I just didn't wanna say that on a messageboard :oops:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:48 am

Dafydd wrote:
Zabier wrote:The other reason is his massive penis yeah?

Well.. Yeah. I just didn't wanna say that on a messageboard :oops:

We are all friends here mate. Nothing we like more than a bit of massive penis appreciation! :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:48 am

Top post Zabier - it's great when you get something nice that your not expecting but it's shit not getting something nice that you were

this is without doubt a building site of a squad, if anyone thinks that if we bring in this or that player it will mean that we are a cert for promotion then you are deluded. Football doesnt work like this - look at the greeks in the Euros a few years back

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

jhippno wrote:Top post Zabier - it's great when you get something nice that your not expecting but it's shit not getting something nice that you were

this is without doubt a building site of a squad, if anyone thinks that if we bring in this or that player it will mean that we are a cert for promotion then you are deluded. Football doesnt work like this - look at the greeks in the Euros a few years back

Exactly! At the start of last season hardly anyone predicted Norwich and Swansea would go up. Ok, we all suspected QPR would but again, that's football. Sometimes the expected happens and sometimes the unexpected happens. It's why we love the game.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:49 am

good post zabier

i admire your belief, i wont see it as a free season, I want to win every game and if we lose any i will go home just as disappointed as i was last season
but i know what you mean, last season we shouldve gone up where-as this season, especially with our squad at the moment, there's no way we will be competing at the top-end, in my opinion anyways
i guess for me, its the expectation levels that have changed
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:53 am

Good post mate!

I definitely agree that adjusting our mindsets to this fashion would make the season a whole lot more enjoyable and cut out the stress.

I also believe it will have a profound affect on the atmosphere, and whilst the tension goes the noise and general feel good factor will go up!

BLUE ARMY!!!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Problem is will all of the rest of our fickle fans feel the same way there as already been criticisim of last nights performance despite the fact it was only our second pre season game which was a friendly with the Manager experimenting with different combinations and with key players missing.

The fact is if we don't finish in the top 6 then we have done worse than we done under Dave Jones last season; however this wouldn't take into account the huge turn around in playing staff and the fact we are virtually building a new team.

I honestly think that Top 6 should be our target but more than anything i want to see every player playing for their shirt and a strong bond between Manager, Players and fans which is not something you could say about last season.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:39 pm

I feel that we should just sit back and relax this season and watch the attractive football that MM will play. I would take championship football for the rest of my life if it ment that the player gave 100% and play nice football to watch. As long as i walk away from CCS with a smile and the fact that we do i best every game i am happy!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:46 pm

Zabier, great post! One of the best this week! And exactly what I'll be doing - lowering my expectation for this season, really can't see us getting in the top 6 but will be a productive season for Malky and squad building :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:09 pm

TBH Zabier's idea is not a bad one and as long as I can see progress in the way we play and the effort put in, then I don't mind righting next season off as a development season.

As fans we could also take the oppotunity to stop moaning about each other (leaving early etc) and concentrate on finally getting some new witty songs going and freshen up the atmosphere.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Amen.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Zabier wrote:I want to propose something revolutionary. I want to propose that for this season we all abandon our expectations. We all sit back and see this as a free season if you will. I've already accepted this is a re-building season and I have no expectation of watching Premiership football in 2012/13.

Since I came to this decision, life supporting Cardiff has been so much better. I don't get angry at little things, I don't feel down about a lack of star player signings... I feel more content and I am actually more optimistic now.

Malky Mackay left Watford for us. He left a place he has a firm affiliation with and he came here. That shows the level of belief this man has in our football club. That is the decision of a man worth believing in. I don't care if we finish mid-table this season. It's a free season! I just want to see a team that battles and brings the heart back to the club. Mackay is doing that with his signings and I firmly believe we are on the right track. It might take a season or two to get back to the level we were at but the Premiership isn't going anywhere. There's no cut off point.

So lads, join me and just relax. This season will be a lot more fun if you erase the high levels of expectation and come back to the 90s era of thinking. I'm just glad we have a club we can go and support every Saturday. If this season ends in glory, awesome. If not, then nevermind. Life goes on.

I'm determined to just enjoy this season and I hope you can all do that as well. FREE SEASON!!! :ayatollah: :D

Im with you all the way mate. Its nice actually sitting back and enjoying the football and seeing what unfolds now. I have no expectations for this season other than expecting everyone to work hard and show some passion. If we finish above mid table then in my eyes thats a bonus.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Too right Tony. The fact all of our fans are different shows how wide the Cardiff City bug stretches across our society. Let's cut out the negativity once and for all. Just enjoy the ride. Spread the word! Free season! :D :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:20 pm

This is definetly how I feel about this season, relaxed and fun, last year was far less enjoyable than it should've been.
I'm ready for a free season :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:29 pm

ive got too disagree

we were finishing 4 odd in the last two seasons, now you think finishing around 10th is acceptable.
i understand our squads abit different , but what would have been the point in sacking DJ, we dont want too go backwards we need too move forward!

and the malaysians arnt looking for an average finish, they want us up in the prem :ayatollah:

thats how i see it

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Definitely! Making the Play Offs would be an achievement in my eyes. :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:36 pm

theblueapple wrote:ive got too disagree

we were finishing 4 odd in the last two seasons, now you think finishing around 10th is acceptable.
i understand our squads abit different , but what would have been the point in sacking DJ, we dont want too go backwards we need too move forward!

and the malaysians arnt looking for an average finish, they want us up in the prem :ayatollah:

thats how i see it

Nobody wants to finish 10th but the idea is to allow MM a season to stamp his mark on the squad. The point in sacking DJ was that his methods had been given time and resources to come to fruitution but they never did.

MM is taking a new route and as responsible fans we will discuss the pros and cons of every individual game, but ultimately we would be very tolerant of a 10th place finish as this is a sit back and enjoy season.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Is it OK to expect us to stay up then Chief ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:57 pm

theblueapple wrote:ive got too disagree

thats how i see it

The point in sacking Jones was that he was a overpaid miserable tw*t. I'm grateful for the good time he brought us but his time was up.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:06 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Is it OK to expect us to stay up then Chief ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just this once ;)

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:13 pm

good idea mate it took me nearly 60 years to work out that watching cardiff has to be done relaxed dont expect to much and enjoy the hi spots when they come along,as another poster said its about giving 110percent and pride in the shirt :old: :old:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:02 pm

well said :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Great post Zabier :ayatollah: :ayatollah: ...

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:26 pm

With the mess Jones left us in I thought shit relegation it could be next season we all knew it was a massive gamble and if we failed then Jones had to go and we were in trouble.

So if Malky can keep us in this division and build a young team and I am willing to wait and do it the right way.

But I believe Malky will do a good job and will within his 3 years get us to the premiership and I am certain if he was in charge of our team last season we would have gone up too.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:38 pm

This thread is superb, two thumbs up!!! This season is all about getting the deck chairs out and sitting back and enjoying.. :ayatollah: