Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Free Season

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:21 pm

Zabier, great post. I've been talking to other City fans lately and none of us are expecting promotion or the play-offs this season. We all want promotion BUT, like you said, give the man a little bit of time.

Let's chill out - but give a few a good hammering!

:lol:

:ayatollah:

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:22 pm

We all remember the dark old days and when we really think about it we are in a fantastic position compared to the dross in the old fourth division.

Love your post.........we do need to take a reality check in this part of the world :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: lol

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:02 pm

Here, here Zabier

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:06 pm

matty_bull wrote:This thread is superb, two thumbs up!!! This season is all about getting the deck chairs out and sitting back and enjoying.. :ayatollah:

unless we get relegated of course lol

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Top post Zabier, agree completely :old: :ayatollah:

Can't wait, a season of new beginings!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:37 pm

Zabier, top post. We're CCFC, for goodness sake :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:34 am

I agree, however I think its this attitude (both fans and players) that could see us with a top 6 finish this season. as i think one of the (many) reasons we messed it up last season was preasure: pressure we (rightly) put on DJ, the pressure on players both from us and themselves. and i think that will be lifted to some degree and it could end up being the most positive thing to happen to the club this season.......FREE SEASON! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:49 am

Would it be going too far to get t-shirts and flags printed on with FREE SEASON written on them? :lol:

It's more than just a saying, it's now a way of life! :D

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:41 am

last season i think we were right to expect promotion. The league was far weaker and Jones was backed considerably by the board. Over the course of the season he added 16 players to a squad that, barring the loss of Ledley, was the same one which had reached the play off finals the year before! Out of that 16 we also had Premier League stand out players such as Ramsey and Bellamy! That is why there was so much discontent last season as on paper we really should have gone up.

However, this season is a completely different prospect. The league may well be one of the toughest championships ever and we have lost 12 players, including our top 3 goalscorers! We also have a young, relatively inexperienced manager, so i think that expectations should be lower for this season. Im just going to sit back and see what happens. The pressure is certainly off us to be challenging and anyone who really thinks we will run away with the league is not going to enjoy this season. We have a good young, hungry squad, and a likeable manager. Lets give them the time and support to grow together and im sure that at some point we will reap the rewards :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:15 am

I already think like that, ive never got carried away with it all.

I can take or leave Premiership football.

Going to the football with my mates isnt about winning being the be all and end all for me.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:32 pm

I think we'll finish mid table at best this season, and so long that we play the game the right way I'll be very happy with that. We have an entirely new team that needs some developing and needs time to grow and click together. I think this season will be a much nicer watch than last seasons over-paid personalities drastically underachieving. So yeah, top post Zabier, I fully agree.

Anyone who starts booing and putting down the team at early doors this season needs a slap. Sick of that negativity from last season. It's a new start, new beginnings and so on. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Top Post :ayatollah:

I have already resigned to the fact - mid table finish this season!! anything higher is a bonus :D :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Something didn't seem right last season, it became a bit of a chore going down the City as the players didn't seem to have that spark in them, it seemed like they weren't too bothered about putting a shift in.

With Malky as manager I already feel like a cloud has been lifted and better times are around the corner, as long as I can be proud of our players at the final whistle and know they have worked their butts off and given it their best shot I will go home a happy man, I'm sure we'll win more games than we lose but it's the manner that we get those victories that's important, playing good attractive football and keeping the ball on the ground will bring fans through the turnstiles, it's always easier to get behind players who play with their heart and soul than it is to get behind players who are just coasting through games, with the way the squad is developing it seems like we've got a team rather than a bunch of individuals, a team that will battle and play with passion, seems quite a while since we've had those qualities in our teams.

A free season is a good way to look at it, if we are around the play offs come the business end of the season all the better but with the big rebuilding job that Malky has had to do it may take just a little longer to get to heights we've become used to over the last couple of years but the journey's going to be worth it. :ayatollah: