Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Advice needed

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Absolutely fuming :evil:

This just happened to me.

I live in a quiet cul de sac with little traffic. As I pulled into the cul de sac, I was going down the straight part of the road about 15-20mph. In front of me is a junction leading under an archway. As I approach this junction, some kid on an electric scooter (looked like a normal petrol scooter to me, but no licence plate) pulled out in front of me. This kid had no lights, no helmet and to make matters worse, was looking the other way AND was on his phone. I clipped him and as he lay on the floor, he still had the phone to his ear and was still talking on it. His friend rushed over to help him up. Luckily there was no damage to my car or his scooter. As you can tell, I was absolutely seething. Within a few seconds of bumping this kid, a man came out of his house, checked that the kid was ok (he was, got up and drove off seconds later).

I wanted to get the kids name etc but the fella told me he works for an insurance company and that I should just walk away as the kid could try and sue ME :o Cos he was a kid, he doesn't have duty of care or something yet I do?! I'm sorry, but I was going under the speed limit, had my lights and seatbelt on and braked as fast as I can. I don't see what more I could have done.

I'm just worried about what this guy said now. As I don't want this to come back and bite me on the arse if the kid tells his parents and decides to claim.

Anyone been in this situation before?

Re: Advice needed

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:44 pm

Doubt his parents know if he hasn't got any plates etc so i'd of thought he'd keep this one quite myself.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Go to the Police Station and report it straight away.

Seriously.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:52 pm

Mate, we ALL have a certain 'duty of care' and the kid involved would need to confess that he was riding illegally before the very unlikely event of a claim against you

He also left the scene rapidly, so I suggest you sleep well tonight in the knowledge that (a) you didn't hurt him and (b) he hasn't got the sense he was born with to even give it a second thought!! :lol:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Sven Ghali wrote:Mate, we ALL have a certain 'duty of care' and the kid involved would need to confess that he was riding illegally before the very unlikely event of a claim against you

He also left the scene rapidly, so I suggest you sleep well tonight in the knowledge that (a) you didn't hurt him and (b) he hasn't got the sense he was born with to even give it a second thought!! :lol:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I was thinking the same.

Millar - I was tempted to, but don't have the kids details. Also I had a passenger in the car at the time so I have a witness. Whilst the man who came to help said that they had been speeding around the cul de sac all evening. So I was thinking that I would have witnesses anyway.

Worst thing was, about 10 metres away was a police car. But im guessing the coppers were inside the house and didn't hear the bang.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Report the incident.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:02 pm

You need to report it and within 24 hours to cover yourself. Do it or you may regret it big time.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:02 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Go to the Police Station and report it straight away.

Seriously.

As above, you should definitely report it. Either pop in, or ring your local station tomorrow.

You don't want to be reported for leaving the scene of an accident.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:04 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Go to the Police Station and report it straight away.

Seriously.
carlccfc wrote:Report the incident.

I agree with them, best to report it.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:04 pm

Just on the phone to the police now fellas. Thanks for the advice :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:25 pm

PhatFrog wrote:Just on the phone to the police now fellas. Thanks for the advice :ayatollah:

Just realised I can't report it. Car registration is listed to a different address to my driving licence and insyrance. Can't risk getting done for driving without valid insurance. Won't look good on my application when I apply for the police force.

Lets hope this kid keeps quiet. Thanks for your advice anyways guuys. Much appreciated. :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:37 pm

He won't say anything Hannah anyway! He was on the road illegally! without a registered or roadworthy vehicle! no disregard to traffic or pedestrian, no insurance, licence! Left the scene of an accident himself, and was using a mobile at the time! :lol: You and your witness will be fine! ;) Dont panic.

By the way, you will need to update your insurance ASAP! having worked in insurance for 4 years, if anything happens, you will need to prove you keep your car overnight at the registered (risk) address.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:41 pm

This is exactly what pisses me off with society. Some little pikey motoring around with nothing legal about him at all, probably underage, and you the innocent party in this are the one worried. Hes not hurt, probaby not even clever enough to think to get your number plate, and his parents probably dont even know he was on the bike.So he wouldnt tell them, he'll probably just brag to his mates that he got run over. :twisted:

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:44 pm

milly44 wrote:This is exactly what pisses me off with society. Some little pikey motoring around with nothing legal about him at all, probably underage, and you the innocent party in this are the one worried. Hes not hurt, probaby not even clever enough to think to get your number plate, and his parents probably dont even know he was on the bike.So he wouldnt tell them, he'll probably just brag to his mates that he got run over. :twisted:

and the bright green silicone cover on his mobile phone saved him £20 on a new BBerry! :lol:

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:01 pm

milly44 wrote:This is exactly what pisses me off with society. Some little pikey motoring around with nothing legal about him at all, probably underage, and you the innocent party in this are the one worried. Hes not hurt, probaby not even clever enough to think to get your number plate, and his parents probably dont even know he was on the bike.So he wouldnt tell them, he'll probably just brag to his mates that he got run over. :twisted:

Nathan they both were :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:43 pm

report it. Like Now!

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:46 pm

PhatFrog wrote:Just on the phone to the police now fellas. Thanks for the advice :ayatollah:

he already did. :thumbup:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:34 am

Bluebird 82 wrote:

he already did. :thumbup:

I think you'll find He is a She... :lol:

I can only agree with what's been said and good that you've done it PhatFrog, covers your own arse.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:11 am

deny everything as manuel would say i no nutting :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:32 am

PhatFrog wrote:

Just realised I can't report it. Car registration is listed to a different address to my driving licence and insyrance. Can't risk getting done for driving without valid insurance. Won't look good on my application when I apply for the police force.

Lets hope this kid keeps quiet. Thanks for your advice anyways guuys. Much appreciated. :ayatollah:

F*ck me, your born to be a police officer. :lol: