Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

English Cardiff City fans???

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:18 am

This may sound random but when you English CCFC fans go watch Cardiff City, and Cardiff fans sing songs about England what goes through your head at that point if it is that split second of hate or do you understand fully and accept Cardiff singing it ?

Re: English Cardiff City fans???

Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:04 am

ask welsh bristol fans or welsh leeds fans what they think of their fellow fans singing anti-welsh stuff... you will get the same answers.... ;)

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:53 am

i moved from england 2 years ago and now proudly follow the city home and away.i quite happily join in the 'oh england is full of shit' chants,its just good banter

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:45 am

BluebirdCarwyn wrote:This may sound random but when you English CCFC fans go watch Cardiff City, and Cardiff fans sing songs about England what goes through your head at that point if it is that split second of hate or do you understand fully and accept Cardiff singing it ?

why should we always sing anti english songs,were playing in the english leaue,were aimning to get into the ENGLISH premier league,its about time we rose above all that,all this chanting about whichever team beat england in the world cuo is pretty chidish really,and parading the flag of whichever country beat england is pretty embarassing dont you think after all how pathetic did the jack fans look with their blackpool flags,just my oppinion of course :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:00 am

beddau blue wrote:
BluebirdCarwyn wrote:This may sound random but when you English CCFC fans go watch Cardiff City, and Cardiff fans sing songs about England what goes through your head at that point if it is that split second of hate or do you understand fully and accept Cardiff singing it ?

why should we always sing anti english songs,were playing in the english leaue,were aimning to get into the ENGLISH premier league,its about time we rose above all that,all this chanting about whichever team beat england in the world cuo is pretty chidish really,and parading the flag of whichever country beat england is pretty embarassing dont you think after all how pathetic did the jack fans look with their blackpool flags,just my oppinion of course :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Yeah, I agree. I was born in Canton and lived in Dinas Powys til I was 12. I moved to Surrey and lived there for 20 years or so and I have a thick English accent but I am Welsh and a Cardiffian through and through. I understand the anti-English stuff but I think it's good banter. I know that some of our fans detest the English but I don't count myself as one of them. I spwent many years there and have many very good friends there. I will never actively support anyone who plays England, apart from us and Germany and would never, ever wear the team's shirt that England are playing. I'm Welsh, why would I?

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:08 am

I guess you could say I'm English seeing as I've lived here all my live (until coming to uni in Cardiff), and my Mum's English, but my Dad's a taff so I count myself more Welsh!

I just find it all quite funny really, just a good laugh. Funny to see how wound up and carried away some people get!

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:11 am

Nottage Blue wrote:
beddau blue wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I was born in Canton and lived in Dinas Powys til I was 12. I moved to Surrey and lived there for 20 years or so and I have a thick English accent but I am Welsh and a Cardiffian through and through. I understand the anti-English stuff but I think it's good banter. I know that some of our fans detest the English but I don't count myself as one of them. I spwent many years there and have many very good friends there. I will never actively support anyone who plays England, apart from us and Germany and would never, ever wear the team's shirt that England are playing. I'm Welsh, why would I?

im welsh through and through, when i was a young bluebird there was a lot more hated towards the english than there is nowadays and I used to love the songs as being a teenager, I loved them!
Nowadays, i couldnt really care about it. In fact, when we play some teams, i forget their english. Id rather concentrate on being proud welsh :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:12 am

In our defence, the Cardiff fans that is, every game I have been to it is the English fans that start the banter on this topic. Guaranteed the opposing supporters will start chanting "Engerrland, Engerrland". Of course we react.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:26 am

i take it as just banter. i think it sounds rubbish mind, but i have found my self siniging them when caught up in the moment at away games.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:54 am

Where would be be without a bit of banter, it's all part of the days entertainment for me. A few beers before the game, bit of banter, a win for the City, few beers after the game, job done!! ;) ;)

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:10 am

I dont mind really. Anything to wind up the opposition

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:19 am

unfortunately im only half welsh english mum welsh dad,consider myself to be more welsh though am far more proud of my welsh heritage due to my dads influence and own feelings that have developed.obviously got english friends and family.i join in with the chanting because to me its what ive always done at football following city :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:37 am

Every team, any team plays against is 'full of shit' when it comes to banter.

We've had sheepshaggers and stuff against us from teams with large sections of welsh fans with them!..... Banter

Teams from around the uk doing a swimming sign against us.....Banter
I remember Cardiff fans in the bob bank singing 'sheepshaggers' against merthyr fans in the old welsh cup! most of the singers were from there.

'Ingerland, ingerlan, ingerland' aways starts that bit of banter between us and the clubs we play against.

Preparing anti team slogans or flags (f off cardiiff, or wearing a blackpool shirt when you support swansea is not banter - that is planned and pathetic.
Wasn't there a union jack at CCS against Celtic - A union jack in a cardiff end - that is more worrying than any verbal banter, cos thats pre-meditated and sad. :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:46 am

eddiep wrote:Teams from around the uk doing a swimming sign against us.....Banter

:? :? :?
Are you sure? I've never seen anyone other than swansea doing this

Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:07 am

just cos we live in England!! We are still Welsh, even my boys who were born in Norwich count themselves Welsh more than English. I lived in Lanrumney til nearly 20 but watch games whenever im home visiting my large family who live in Llanrumney, fairwater and tremorfa and Pentwyn. As for what i think, its great banter and part and parcel of being the fans we are, why even my boys join in the English baiting chants :D :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm English. I move to the land of Wales when I was 6 like.

I don't give a f**k about the banter. It's fine to hate the English. As an Englishman who grew up in Wales I understand why some people genuinely dislike the English. That's ok. Banter is just banter. When "we hate England" songs are chanted down the City, my Welsh mates turn and laugh at me whilst my and the other English lads (there are actually heaps down the city) give it large back to them in a friendly way.

Now I live in Oz it is quite surprising that the Welsh and the English actually get on really well here. There is a bit of banter but Britishness seems to be more prevalent abroad. I even went to the boxing with a few Scottish lads the other night and they actually bough drinks. Very unScottishlike.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:01 pm

Look, the English are the enemy. Always have been, always will be.
too much bad blood over the years, their country has shat on Wales
over the Centuries, they have seen two Kings bankrupted trying to
pacify us. There are castles all over Wales, testament to how much
they spent trying to beat little old Wales into submission... yet the
Welsh language they despised so much is still going strong, thriving
in fact.

So there will ALWAYS be that anomosity

But lets be honest, the majority of us dont blame the English people
of today for all that happened hundreds of years ago. We could have
far worse neighbors. The English are fine.

The slagging them off is more banter than anything else.

Our English supporters will just have to put up with it, same as all those
Welsh supporters of English Clubs put up with anti-Welsh songs etc

Its no big deal

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:
eddiep wrote:Teams from around the uk doing a swimming sign against us.....Banter

:? :? :?
Are you sure? I've never seen anyone other than swansea doing this

Wurzels always do it.
Seen scabs, Leicester, Millwall, Reading and swindon also.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:33 pm

taffyapple wrote:Look, the English are the enemy. Always have been, always will be.
too much bad blood over the years, their country has shat on Wales
over the Centuries, they have seen two Kings bankrupted trying to
pacify us. There are castles all over Wales, testament to how much
they spent trying to beat little old Wales into submission... yet the
Welsh language they despised so much is still going strong, thriving
in fact.

So there will ALWAYS be that anomosity

But lets be honest, the majority of us dont blame the English people
of today for all that happened hundreds of years ago. We could have
far worse neighbors. The English are fine.

The slagging them off is more banter than anything else.

Our English supporters will just have to put up with it, same as all those
Welsh supporters of English Clubs put up with anti-Welsh songs etc

Its no big deal

I agree. It's just banter. Doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes I wonder whether a player who just plays for us opnly for the money hears an anti-English chant and being English, fucks up on purpose. That might explain a lot of our history of failures lol.

PS Do people from Newport still want Gwent made into it's own country?

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Newport is in its own dimension never mind country!!! :lol:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:00 pm

I'm a Welsh City fan and I and thousands of other City fans don't sing that anti English shit! So please don't talk collectively about all City fans singing and Chanting certain thing when clearly they don't.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:38 pm

Welsh parents, Welsh sister and brother... I was born in England due to my dad's playing career.
Have lived in Northamptonshire my entire life.
Consider myself a Welshman and City through and through. Would never, ever, wear any shirt apart from City or Wales. Wouldn't even try it on for a laugh to see what it looked like.
I have had the piss taken by every football supporting friend or colleague I've ever known, just for supporting Cardiff City AFC.
So you could say I'm used to the "baaaaaaa-nter" :roll: Doesn't bother me at all.

So when I'm at the CCS, Canton End, directly behind the goal, 3/4 the way up singing my heart out supporting the boys, what do I think when the anti English stuff is sung???
I admit, I wouldn't sing it. Neither would I sing "stand up if you hate Swansea" tbh.
Reason? Not sure, doesn't bother me as such, but I do find it a little cringeworthy and at times embarrassing. I'd rather put my voice into supporting the boys "Kevin McNaughton, you are the love of my life..." etc rather than worrying myself on what the Jacks or anybody else for that matter is up to.
Most of our players, management and coaches up until recently have been English. I know they're all paid professionals, but they surely can't like all that shit sung about their home country. Banter or not.
So I choose not to bother.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:49 pm

I'm from Scotland and a Cardiff fan, It aint as bad for us because we all dislike England and have good banter with them. And we have a good number of Scottish players and Manager. But i'm always made welcome in Wales so i'm happy. Can't see it being tha different as Cardiff fans are generally friendly.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:55 pm

End the day the English give us banter so any English city fan should know we'll give it back it's normal how banter works in football.