Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Samsung Galaxy S II

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:56 pm

Anyone else on this forum got this phone?

Received mine on Thursday and spent this morning debranding it and putting different firmware on. Hate the shite Orange puts on the phone. Got to admit I am impressed with the phone so far and theres so much you can do with it once you jailbreak it.

Will be interesting to see how the Iphone 5 compares once it comes out, should be a close match.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S II

Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:07 pm

chris_ccfc wrote:Anyone else on this forum got this phone?

Received mine on Thursday and spent this morning debranding it and putting different firmware on. Hate the shite Orange puts on the phone. Got to admit I am impressed with the phone so far and theres so much you can do with it once you jailbreak it.

Will be interesting to see how the Iphone 5 compares once it comes out, should be a close match.

I've got one. Had it about a month or so. Very impressed with it :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:36 pm

Great phone,but what is this jailbreak and what does it achieve.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:24 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Great phone,but what is this jailbreak and what does it achieve.

Its actually called "rooting" and allows you to add custom firmwares, themes, and add ons etc. Also things like free apps which are paid for via the market.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Cardiff Crazy wrote:
BigGwynram wrote:Great phone,but what is this jailbreak and what does it achieve.

Its actually called "rooting" and allows you to add custom firmwares, themes, and add ons etc. Also things like free apps which are paid for via the market.

When I say rooting to people they don't get what I am on about, so I say jailbreaking instead and then they know what I am on about, lol. Going to try some custom firmwares out over the weekend to see which one I like best.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:38 pm

chris_ccfc wrote:When I say rooting to people they don't get what I am on about, so I say jailbreaking instead and then they know what I am on about, lol. Going to try some custom firmwares out over the weekend to see which one I like best.

Fair point. I know what you mean.

Have you updated to 2.3.4? If not try KG2 firmware :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:46 pm

Cardiff Crazy wrote:
chris_ccfc wrote:When I say rooting to people they don't get what I am on about, so I say jailbreaking instead and then they know what I am on about, lol. Going to try some custom firmwares out over the weekend to see which one I like best.

Fair point. I know what you mean.

Have you updated to 2.3.4? If not try KG2 firmware :ayatollah:

Yes mate, updated to that this morning. Cracking phone and only had it a few days, so many things to discover about it :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:55 pm

chris_ccfc wrote:
Yes mate, updated to that this morning. Cracking phone and only had it a few days, so many things to discover about it :ayatollah:

I know. I'm still adding stuff to mine a month on. Many of the custom roms are buggy that I have tried. CM7 has just been released on nightly builds.

I have stuck to stock rooted rom and added what I want. If you get Titanium Pro you can freeze all the Sammy apps and hubs (if you don't use them) and it will double your battery life. :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Jesus,when I saw the title of the thread I thought it was about a f*cking car :old: :? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:Jesus,when I saw the title of the thread I thought it was about a f*cking car :old: :? :oops: :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:24 pm

Ordered mine yesterday and its coming monday. everyone is raving about it so thought i wud get 1 lol.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:46 pm

I've had the sony ericsson play for about 5 months,and having had the i-phone phone 4.the sony ericsson is way better i think. :geek: not restricted to itunes and can bluetooth your videos,music unlike the i-phone you can only bluetooth pics.plus the gaming on it is awesome. ;)

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:48 pm

Specs wise, its the best on the market atm. HTC Sensation is right up there too. Upgrade due in Sept, still undecided what to have. Got a Sony Ericsson Arc atm. Good phone, so much potential....but alas....ita a Sony Ericsson so therefore breaks.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:53 pm

PhatFrog wrote:Specs wise, its the best on the market atm. HTC Sensation is right up there too. Upgrade due in Sept, still undecided what to have. Got a Sony Ericsson Arc atm. Good phone, so much potential....but alas....ita a Sony Ericsson so therefore breaks.

It was between the Galaxy S II and the Sensation for me, wasn't going to wait for the Iphone 5 as I am not keen on the Iphone's anyway.

Sensation is good but the specs were not as impressive as the S II. So far I am glad of the choice I made.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:53 pm

PhatFrog wrote:Specs wise, its the best on the market atm. HTC Sensation is right up there too. Upgrade due in Sept, still undecided what to have. Got a Sony Ericsson Arc atm. Good phone, so much potential....but alas....ita a Sony Ericsson so therefore breaks.

They are both dual core but where the Sammy wins is the Super OMLED screen. Nothing on the market can touch this at the moment. The UI is better on the HTC.

I've come from and IP4 to the SGS2 and this wins hands down. Have a look at the Mobil review uk site and they say the Sammy is the best phone currently out.

Bare in mind the IP5 is due towards the end of the year. It might be worth hanging fire to see what spec that is. It will have to be something special mind to trump the SGS2.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:59 pm

I've got the Samsung Galaxy S2 and I am typing on it now.

Best phone I have ever had and I am a self proclaimed gadget geek.