Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BACK TOO 5 ON THE BENCH THIS SEASON

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:20 pm

i think this will come in handy for us, if we do operate with a smaller squad

The 7 bench rule never really worked for us with the lack of depth, leaving out loan's etc

The 7 bench rule worked out better for big squads, i think reverting back to the 5 sub rule will work for us, if we have to operate with a smaller squad

any one agree?

:ayatollah:

Re: BACK TOO 5 ON THE BENCH THIS SEASON

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:24 pm

glammy74 wrote:i think this will come in handy for us, if we do operate with a smaller squad

The 7 bench rule never really worked for us with the lack of depth, leaving out loan's etc

The 7 bench rule worked out better for big squads, i think reverting back to the 5 sub rule will work for us, if we have to operate with a smaller squad

any one agree?

It'll be four on the bench for us unless Parkin loses a couple of stone.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Wayne S wrote:
glammy74 wrote:i think this will come in handy for us, if we do operate with a smaller squad

any one agree?

oii none of this negativity please ;) :D

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:31 pm

glammy74 wrote:
Wayne S wrote:

any one agree?

oii none of this negativity please ;) :D

Sorry. Behind all the guys but, really? He has to be overweight and for a professional sportsmen that is sacrilege.

The stupid thing is he has a fantastic football brain, makes clever runs and shoots like a shotgun. With less weight he'd be immense.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:33 pm

Wayne S wrote:The stupid thing is he has a fantastic football brain, makes clever runs and shoots like a shotgun. With less weight he'd be immense.

Eh?

One good goal does not shoot like a shotgun make. Clever runs? Must have missed those, the guy is immobile.

He is what he is. A lump of a target man you can throw on for 10-15 minutes when chasing a game, to rough up defenders.

That's incompatible with the style of play Mackay uses, more about passing and movement at pace.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:49 pm

nerd wrote:
Wayne S wrote:The stupid thing is he has a fantastic football brain, makes clever runs and shoots like a shotgun. With less weight he'd be immense.

Eh?

One good goal does not shoot like a shotgun make. Clever runs? Must have missed those, the guy is immobile.

He is what he is. A lump of a target man you can throw on for 10-15 minutes when chasing a game, to rough up defenders.

That's incompatible with the style of play Mackay uses, more about passing and movement at pace.

I'm not restricting my opinion to games he has played for us but his career. Oddly he hasn't even been that good a target man.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:52 pm

I heard something about having 5 homegrown players in a matchday squad aswell?

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:56 pm

Parkin?

I've given him a fair crack

But he's not good enough

i'm not going to get into slagging ANY of our players, so i'll leave it there

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:02 pm

taffyapple wrote:
i'm not going to get into slagging ANY of our players, so i'll leave it there

Didn't have you down as a diplomat. :D

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:47 pm

It's a long old campaign and only 16 rather than 18 making the matchday cut means fringe players will have to take serious stock of their future as their abilit to impact the team has just dropped.

Gyepes, Blake, McPhail, Wildig and to a lesser extend Taiwo all stand a good chance of not making the match day 16. Fine some of you may not be big fans of theirs. But what happens when they leave and we are 30 games in with injuries effecting the small squad and we have no one/kids to replace them?

League 1 and 2 I'd understand but at Championship level teams should cope. That or reduce number of teams in the league.