Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Looks increasingly like Marshall will be number 1

Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Anyone oppose this?

After Heatons pretty odd end to last season...and his 'nerves' comments, I'm quite happy Marshall is firmly back in the frame

Re: Looks increasingly like Marshall will be number 1

Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Midfield general wrote:
JonScam wrote:Anyone oppose this?

After Heatons pretty odd end to last season...and his 'nerves' comments, I'm quite happy Marshall is firmly back in the frame

I think both are very average and Marshall's ability of taking care of crosses leaves alot to be desired. I wonder if its just a coincidence that the moment he left Norwich they got promoted twice in two seasons..?

Excellent point MG :ayatollah: - Norwich went down,DJ then got Marshall in.
Also Marshall and MM have the same back ground,with both played for Norwich and Celtic ;)

Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Marshall is a very good shot-stopper where as Heaton is better taking crosses.. IMO it all depends on who we're playing. For example, if we're playing a team that play wide and utilize the wings i'd play Heaton but if we play a very central and direct team play Marshall. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:30 pm

Marshall by far the better keeper imo :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Not too keen on either to be honest.Best keeper ive seen play for us in last few years is was Casper on loan.He saved us so many games. :|

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:38 am

why not get alexander back

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:42 am

thomas9990 wrote:why not get alexander back

is he still at rangers. :?:

Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:17 am

Maerdy boy wrote:
thomas9990 wrote:why not get alexander back

is he still at rangers. :?:

yes but hes n the bench and i think we could get him relativley cheep

Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:54 am

Quite happy with Marshall, someone posted on here a couple of days ago about watching the players train and he mentioned that the new goalkeeping coach spent a lot of time working on crosses with the goalies, he is a bit suspect with crosses but if the new coach can sort this out then happy days.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:04 am

Prefer Marshall and Heaton over Alexander.

Both good enough IMO, neither keeper concerns me.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:13 am

I don't think there is much between them tbh. I feel that Marshall is definitely a better shot stopper and is a goalkeeper that can make crucial saves at the right time - Just look when he saved Kuqi 1 on one effort and chops went down the other end and scored the winner agaisnt the Jacks. However, his inability to marhsall his defence on set plays is his major weakness. Heaton is probably a more naturally talented keeper with better all round ability than Marshall, however with his nerves issues etc, you would worry about him in a big game.

Bit of a dilema really although most keepers in this league are of the same ilk or they would be playing in the Premier League. The only keeper in this league i would have above ours is Camp. Green/Foster obviously there but i would expect them to leave their clubs.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:37 am

Bledd10 wrote:Marshall is a very good shot-stopper where as Heaton is better taking crosses.. IMO it all depends on who we're playing. For example, if we're playing a team that play wide and utilize the wings i'd play Heaton but if we play a very central and direct team play Marshall. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Play them both - simples :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:49 am

if only we could put them together heaton catching off crossing marshall shot stopping and positioning would be bloody fantastic :lol:

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:20 am

what's the point getting Alexander back when Marshall is a good shotstopper and terrible at crosses??? :P

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:24 am

Midfield general wrote:
JonScam wrote:Anyone oppose this?

I think both are very average and Marshall's ability of taking care of crosses leaves alot to be desired. I wonder if its just a coincidence that the moment he left Norwich they got promoted twice in two seasons..?

Correlation does not equal causation

Far more likely to be the introduction to Paul Lambert as manager