Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff Break With Tradition!

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:11 am

"Cardiff City have agreed a deal for powerful French striker Rudy Gestade to join after the youngster impressed while on trial with the Bluebirds - scoring the winner in a 1-0 tour victory over Charlton Athletic. The deal has yet to be formally confirmed on the CCFC website, but terms are agreed and the medical has already taken place and an announcement is expected shortly.

Malky Mackay has only been with the club a matter of weeks, and has already broken with tradition somewhat in signing up a triallist ! The Dave Jones era saw City offer trials to numerous out-of-contract players, though this often turned out to be only to bulk up the squad numbers for training and pre-season tours! The vast majority were then released without being offered a contract.

Wilson Oruma (twice voted 'African footballer-of-the-year!'), Vincent Pericard, Julian Gray and Maros Klimpl are just a few of those who trained with City, and were spoken about by Dave Jones - only to be leave.

Left-back Steven Smith, formerly of Rangers was another prospect - especially since we desperately needed cover in that position while there are obvious comparisons between Gestade and Czech U21 player Daniel Kolar, formerly of Sparta Prague who is of a similar build and style to our new signing.

Perhaps the most intriguing departure was Cypriot winger Costas Charalambides , who enjoyed an impressive and productive pre-season under Dave Jones in 2007. We badly lacked pace and trickery on the wing at that time but opted against a deal for him and he also departed the club.

The above are just a selection of the failed triallists over previous years - and just the ones I can remember! There have almost certainly been many more, but it`s clear that Jones or the club were not keen on signing up triallists. There are probably current or former players who did earn deals on the back of training with the club etc, though few in the normal trial structure utilised by those above and Gestade. Either he is a better player than the others, or this deal suggests a change in transfer policy under new manager Malky Mackay."

http://www.cardiff.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... p?a=248348

Re: Cardiff Break With Tradition!

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:15 am

Overthemoon wrote:"The deal has yet to be formally confirmed on the CCFC website, but terms are agreed and the medical has already taken place and an announcement is expected shortly.

Look forward to international clearance mid August. ;)

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:39 am

what started off interesting turned into a dig over dave jones and im just bored of it.....

how do we not know that the trailists, rejected contracts, wanted to much, or just didnt want to stay themselves ??

Costas Charalambides - signed for a relegation threated german leage 2 side and got realeased after just 12 appearances after being on trail with us. Good Decision by DJ

Wilson Oruma - played after our trial in the french THIRD division, players less than 50 games over 2 years after our trial and retired. Good Decision by DJ

Vincent Pericard - The juventus player, well one appearance in 2 years. moved to pompy and player 12 times in 3 years !!. his 11 year career he has scored 23 goals, for a striker. and he is now struggling in league 1. Another good decision from DJ

Julian Gray - when we first had him he was amazing, he went on to do great things after too. however, he had him on trail in 2009, but us and sheff utd rejected him, then barnsly got him on a free, released him months later and well now he is playing in cyprus.... Good decision DJ.

Maros Klimpl - went from our trail to dundee in scotts 2nd tier and then relseased a year later. i think another bullet dodged by DJ.

Steven Smith - a 9 year career and less than 80 games played... well done DJ

Daniel Kolar - bad decision by DJ, i think this guy would of done us some good, but cant egt them all right

i mean i really think people need to get over DJ, he wasnt that bad at all, he had faults but he certainly didnt miss out on much here guys !!

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:42 am

jezzy666 wrote:what started off interesting turned into a dig over dave jones and im just bored of it.....

how do we not know that the trailists, rejected contracts, wanted to much, or just didnt want to stay themselves ??

Costas Charalambides - signed for a relegation threated german leage 2 side and got realeased after just 12 appearances after being on trail with us. Good Decision by DJ

Wilson Oruma - played after our trial in the french THIRD division, players less than 50 games over 2 years after our trial and retired. Good Decision by DJ

Vincent Pericard - The juventus player, well one appearance in 2 years. moved to pompy and player 12 times in 3 years !!. his 11 year career he has scored 23 goals, for a striker. and he is now struggling in league 1. Another good decision from DJ

Julian Gray - when we first had him he was amazing, he went on to do great things after too. however, he had him on trail in 2009, but us and sheff utd rejected him, then barnsly got him on a free, released him months later and well now he is playing in cyprus.... Good decision DJ.

Maros Klimpl - went from our trail to dundee in scotts 2nd tier and then relseased a year later. i think another bullet dodged by DJ.

Daniel Kolar - bad decision by DJ, i think this guy would of done us some good, but cant egt them all right

i mean i really think people need to get over DJ, he wasnt that bad at all, he had faults but he certainly didnt miss out on much here guys !!

not going to have a dig at DJ no point but can i just say things might have been different for them if they joined us just saying ;) :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:46 am

judging from there age, performances and career paths since, lets be honest it looks very unlikely :/

DJ had his bad points, these wernt one of them imo

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:46 am

Steve Smith would have done well for us

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:47 am

welshie wrote:Steve Smith would have done well for us

he did have a bit of potential, but im sure he is at aberdeen now. that ones a bit 50/50

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:12 pm

jezzy666 wrote:what started off interesting turned into a dig over dave jones and im just bored of it.....

You put a bit of thought and time into that response mate! ;) :)

Good post and worth your time! :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:16 pm

its monday, im in work, i dont like my work, so i do this :)

i find DJ a terrible motivator, not so much without a plan B but too stubborn to change and poor at man management.

he was however a good manager in a lot of other ways, working within budget and gettting some gems.

praise is due just as much as critisism

im still glad we have MM :)

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:20 pm

jezzy666 wrote:its monday, im in work, i dont like my work, so i do this :)

i find DJ a terrible motivator, not so much without a plan B but too stubborn to change and poor at man management.

he was however a good manager in a lot of other ways, working within budget and gettting some gems.

praise is due just as much as critisism

im still glad we have MM :)

With you all the way and if I'm honest, I thought the same as you when I re-read the article, as I didn't see it as so much as a dig at him initially!

I've since changed my mind due to your post and agree that not everything about DJ was bad! :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:21 pm

i wasnt even going to reply until i saw the name vincent pericard....

then i just thought it was my moral duty to reply :)

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:25 pm

Or did DJ take on cr@p trialists? Just a thought.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:26 pm

jezzy666 wrote:i wasnt even going to reply until i saw the name vincent pericard....

then i just thought it was my moral duty to reply :)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Or did DJ take on cr@p trialists? Just a thought.[/quote]

thats a fair point, you can either complain they were crap or praise him for only offering them a trail and check them first before giving them a contract and not knowing anything about them,

they would only of been recommended by scouts anyway