Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Boxing..

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:04 pm

Im thinking of joining a boxing club soon and i am just wondering what i could do in the house to get started as i dont want to go into a boxing club really unfit so im going to start jogging and weight lifting for about a month before i join.

Anybody think i should stick to this idea? Or shall i just join up?

Also anybody know were i can get quite cheap weights for the house, maybe even a bag?

Would like advice too of someone that has done boxing before.

Anything would be great.

Thanks.

:ayatollah:

Re: Boxing..

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi mate,go to the gym 1st to seeif you like it. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Ccfc Shane wrote:Im thinking of joining a boxing club soon and i am just wondering what i could do in the house to get started as i dont want to go into a boxing club really unfit so im going to start jogging and weight lifting for about a month before i join.

Anybody think i should stick to this idea? Or shall i just join up?

Also anybody know were i can get quite cheap weights for the house, maybe even a bag?

Would like advice too of someone that has done boxing before.

Anything would be great.

Thanks.

just watch Rocky over and over again. then if u get bored. watch rocky 2

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:10 pm

boxerbob wrote:Hi mate,go to the gym 1st to seeif you like it. :ayatollah:

Ok, cheers buddy. :ayatollah:

Can anyone recommend a gym in the Rhondda area?

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:35 pm

I done a bit

Mainly core fitness you want to be doing a couple of runs a week (minimum 3.5 miles) plus boxing club say twice a week that should keep you in good stead. If you can try and do circuits or something which will give you an idea of how fit you need to be.

Lots of press-ups and lots of sit ups (crunches, v-sits, half sits, roll backs, lean back and twists and many more) and if you can get your own bag lots of punching especially jabbing, I wouldn't necessarily worry about doing loads of weights mainly exercises that use your own body weight.

We do loads of crazy shit like smacking a tire with a sledge hammer, medicine ball work, pad work, speed ball, it doesnt matter how fit you are your always ****** after boxing but its great.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:42 pm

Ccfc Shane wrote:
boxerbob wrote:Hi mate,go to the gym 1st to seeif you like it. :ayatollah:

Ok, cheers buddy. :ayatollah:

Can anyone recommend a gym in the Rhondda area?

The rhonndda abc was a good gym.i boxed a boy from that club years ago.always had good boys boxing for them.I used to train in the gym 3 times a week,run twice a week(hills will build your stamina up) :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Cheers lads, great help!

Thanks a lot. :)

Were abouts that Rhondda ABC?

I know theres a boxing gym around Tonyrfail way/Gilfach. :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:16 pm

My boy trains at the fight academy, Coed Cae lane, he loves it & trains 3 times a week, he was made welcome from the word go,they give you a choice if you want to Box competitively or just keep fit.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:19 pm

Ccfc Shane wrote:Cheers lads, great help!

Thanks a lot. :)

Were abouts that Rhondda ABC?

I know theres a boxing gym around Tonyrfail way/Gilfach. :ayatollah:

im from a different area so dont whwhere the gym is.I spoke to my brother,he trains the kids in my area,he said there's a few gyms around the rhondda area :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Thers's a gym in tylerstown , I trained for many years in aberaman abc , I'd get a good quality skipping rope and start practising as it'll give you a good core fitness(and you won't look like a nonce in front of everyone starting off) :lol:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:51 pm

evil c wrote:Thers's a gym in tylerstown , I trained for many years in aberaman abc , I'd get a good quality skipping rope and start practising as it'll give you a good core fitness(and you won't look like a nonce in front of everyone starting off) :lol:

Hi mate,you mentioned aberaman abc.Do you know a dean owens?He boxed there years ago tho

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:59 pm

boxerbob wrote:
evil c wrote:Thers's a gym in tylerstown , I trained for many years in aberaman abc , I'd get a good quality skipping rope and start practising as it'll give you a good core fitness(and you won't look like a nonce in front of everyone starting off) :lol:

Hi mate,you mentioned aberaman abc.Do you know a dean owens?He boxed there years ago tho

yeah, he trains over tylorstown these days, trying to stop the years catching up with him. old boxers never die :old:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:13 pm

evil c wrote:
boxerbob wrote:

yeah, he trains over tylorstown these days, trying to stop the years catching up with him. old boxers never die :old:

My brother boxed him about 6 times.I think they were fed up of fightin each other in the end.My brother now trains the youngsters at the heads of the valleys boxing club.That boy was a tough ol nut

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:23 pm

he`s a good craic, you can still hit him all day and he`d come back for more :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:46 pm

evil c wrote:he`s a good craic, you can still hit him all day and he`d come back for more :ayatollah:

Thats what i remember of him :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:16 pm

Cheers, great help.

Just contacted Coed Cae lane, as i liked the sound of them making you welcome and giving you a choice weather you want it to keep fit, or box competitively.

Any boxing items can anyone recommend, Will get a skipping rope from JJB/Sports world tomorrow.

Was thinking of getting a bag, or a speed ball for the house too.

And some weights.

Cheers lads.
:)

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:19 pm

i used to do a little when i was a young athlete :lol:
plenty of skipping, running and agility work helps
gte fit before ;) :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Anyone know of any Boxing gyms in the Cardiff area?

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:28 pm

eighty_8 wrote:i used to do a little when i was a young athlete :lol:
plenty of skipping, running and agility work helps
gte fit before ;) :ayatollah:

Cheers mate,

Yeah i dont want to be looking like a right c*nt! :lol:

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:52 pm

RichBluebird wrote:Anyone know of any Boxing gyms in the Cardiff area?

It's 31 years since I boxed last but some of the main clubs in Cardiff then were,

Cardiff ymca, used to be known as Llandaff ABC, situated in the walk off Newport road
Two in Ely, the Highfields ABC and Ely star ABC
St. Clares in Fairwater I think
Splott adventure ABC
St Josephs ABC
Heath school of boxing
Prince of Wales ABC Grangetown
Roath ABC, I think it is sadly closed now
Victoria park ABC, this also maybe long gone.

I don't know how many of these are still going to be honest but they were all great clubs that produced some terrific boxers over the years.