Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

M4 closed!!!

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:18 am

At the Brynglas tunnel. Hope it don't affect us.

Re: M4 closed!!!

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:20 am

A lorry exploded inside the tunnel this morning, gonna b closed a while :(

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:22 am

CraigCCFC wrote:A lorry exploded inside the tunnel this morning, gonna b closed a while :(

Any idea how long?

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:26 am

Nope

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:27 am

fire cheif has closed it due to structural concerns, stay posted to the radio i say

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:28 am

the tunnel web cam is down too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/tr ... a024.shtml

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:32 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-14288312

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:33 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/tr ... avel.shtml

incident report this will update as and when

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:42 am

Thanks. Not sure my mate wants to take the chance with Yeovil unless the tunnel is open.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:57 am

I've been out and about - and most people are trying to go through newport - but that is spammed real bad! Best bet - is to cut over the top from caerphilly, ystrad mynach, up towards blackwood using the link road, then up through crumlin and around! Its a pain - but the fastest way at the moment!

Also, I'm told there wasn't an explosion - the Lorry simply caught fire, and the tunnel is full of smoke! Traffic is a nightmare within a 10 mile radius!

Avoid at all costs!

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:09 pm

jus spoke to dibbs looks like thats the route he may end up taking, if not open in time

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Just got back of my driving lesson from philly to newport an its jamed all trafic off the m4 is being diverted off at tredegar an through newport , fucked my driving lesson right up , ment to be doing test routes today lol

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Merlin wrote:I've been out and about - and most people are trying to go through newport - but that is spammed real bad! Best bet - is to cut over the top from caerphilly, ystrad mynach, up towards blackwood using the link road, then up through crumlin and around! Its a pain - but the fastest way at the moment!

Also, I'm told there wasn't an explosion - the Lorry simply caught fire, and the tunnel is full of smoke! Traffic is a nightmare within a 10 mile radius!

Avoid at all costs!

Google maps show long queue down to the coldra from Usk direction - may be quicker to go up to monmouth, across to Gloucester through Forest of Dean then pick up M5 - a long way around I know, but better scenery than being stuck in traffic.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:46 pm

bluebird58 wrote:
Merlin wrote:I've been out and about - and most people are trying to go through newport - but that is spammed real bad! Best bet - is to cut over the top from caerphilly, ystrad mynach, up towards blackwood using the link road, then up through crumlin and around! Its a pain - but the fastest way at the moment!

Avoid at all costs!

Google maps show long queue down to the coldra from Usk direction - may be quicker to go up to monmouth, across to Gloucester through Forest of Dean then pick up M5 - a long way around I know, but better scenery than being stuck in traffic.

I was just about to post not to come back down to the M4 at 24! that is obviously the hot spot! best to go from crumlin to pontypool - down the A40 past Abergavenny and through Forest of Dean. right pain in the ass! I hope they get it open and sorted soon! the M4 is such an important rd - it Fecks everything right up when it closes!

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:27 pm

An eyewitness on news this morning, manageress f Etap hotel said there was loads of black smoke and 3 exploions, whatever the lorry was carrying went baboom!!

Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Just heard on the News, the 'tunnel' we be closed for the next few days..bad for buisness eh! :(

Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:25 pm

Just came on the BBC Wales news, the tunnel may be closed for a few days. :cry: :cry:

Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:45 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/07/26/plans-to-re-open-one-carriageway-through-m4-s-fire-hit-brynglas-tunnels-91466-29120820/

Images from inside the tunnel!