Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: I think we need Oli back

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:03 am

Midfield general wrote:He wanted to play for us these season no matter what and to be honest our midfield was far better when he was in it.

disagree ..... high wages, went missing in games far too often... think we have a cheaper and better acquisition in gunnarsson.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:06 am

Liked him last season, but went missing in too many important games... i'd rather get someone like John Eustace :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:09 am

Midfield general wrote:
Rhondda Bluebird wrote:Liked him last season, but went missing in too many important games... i'd rather get someone like John Eustace :ayatollah:

He's much better then Eustace :lol:

I always liked oli,i'd have him back tomorrow but this gunnarsson looks a decent player

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:12 am

Midfield general wrote:
Rhondda Bluebird wrote:Liked him last season, but went missing in too many important games... i'd rather get someone like John Eustace :ayatollah:

He's much better then Eustace :lol:

hmm, I dont know, Ollie seemed to get lazier and lazier game by game!

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:12 am

We could try and get a good midfielder that would be a better idea than Gavin Rae Mark 2.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:15 am

Fairplay to oli,he added a few goals to his account

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:15 am

Koumas anyone?... we got him back to fitness so would he be worth a try on a free? :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:16 am

Rhondda Bluebird wrote:Koumas anyone?... we got him back to fitness so would he be worth a try on a free? :ayatollah:

I thought he went to sheff weds

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:16 am

Midfield general wrote:
Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:
Midfield general wrote:He wanted to play for us these season no matter what and to be honest our midfield was far better when he was in it.

disagree ..... high wages, went missing in games far too often... think we have a cheaper and better acquisition in gunnarsson.

How much was he on then..? and to be honest no-one went more missing in games then Whitts

oli is on over 20k a week at hull.. wouldnt pay half that for him to be honest, just to inconsistent. he did play extremely well in some games, but in important games he was totally of the game. gave the ball away to cheaply , got caught in posession by bringing the ball out of defense to slowly. when losing the ball made no attempt to win it back.. was very slow at tracking back.. rarely tracked with the runners , slow when other teams on the break..

yes whitts went missing alot also, but he made up for it and i feel he will be a key player this season..

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:22 am

Thought he was a big fairy. Gave the ball away to often, did'nt protect our back four and always ran into trouble.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:22 am

Kiss and gunarrson are far better players!!

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:29 am

boxerbob wrote:
Rhondda Bluebird wrote:Koumas anyone?... we got him back to fitness so would he be worth a try on a free? :ayatollah:

Just looked at their team on thier website... Koumas isn't on there. :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:31 am

Rhondda Bluebird wrote:
boxerbob wrote:

Just looked at their team on thier website... Koumas isn't on there. :ayatollah:

went for talks but nothing materialized ....

passed it now...

league 1 or a lower champ side is prob best he can hope for..

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:33 am

Nakedbussurfer wrote:Kiss and gunarrson are far better players!!

This

I'd take Koumas on a Pay as you Play Deal though. But maybe i'd have taken him at the beginning of Pre-Season and not now.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:36 am

Koumas? Oli? Seriously, did you watch City last year? :shock:

Oli went missing in games and was too soft not really doing his job in my opinion and Koumas has clearly got issues regarding fitness and confidence. He might have had a good ten minutes at Doncaster and ONE good season with us in 2005/6 but those days are gone.

I personally am glad both are gone.

Give it a few months and I'm sure Gunarrson will be bossing our midfield like Oli never could.

:ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:43 am

I liked Oli in the 4-5-1 but he struggled in a 4-4-2 and we need players who can adapt to different formations. Gunnarsson seems like a step up so I think we'll be fine without him.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:44 am

He did go missing for large periods, but so did everyone else. Most players have bad patches, the important thing is that when they do we have back up (that isn't Gavin Rae). If we could get him for less than 400k and on around 8-10k per week, I would love to see him and Gunnarson battling it out for the holding midfielder spot.

That said, I doubt he'll come back - he seemed to have a great relationship with DJ and I reckon that was the reason he came in the first place. Still though, would like to think that MM made an enquiry at least.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:46 am

it worries me that fans dont see the reason why players go missing last year.

when you have no strength in depth, carrying injuries, unable to rest and playing 3 games a week !! this leads to a streak of bad games. and every player had it even kev mcnaughton !!

players should not be judged on that and people of this forum should stop following the crowd by just agreeing and realise it.

oli is a class player when fit and used correctly.

Koumas with a proper preseason under his belt could be invaluable

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:52 am

jezzy666 wrote:it worries me that fans dont see the reason why players go missing last year.

when you have no strength in depth, carrying injuries, unable to rest and playing 3 games a week !! this leads to a streak of bad games. and every player had it even kev mcnaughton !!

players should not be judged on that and people of this forum should stop following the crowd by just agreeing and realise it.

i disagree mate, oli made a total of 39 league apperances last season.. some fulham players last yr made 60 appearances ..

every player will have an off day.... out of the 39 in the league oli was missing for the vast majority of the final 10 games...

i think that gunnarsson will be a better signing that oli.. and at a fraction of the wages.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:29 pm

he could do well under a proper manager :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:06 pm

jezzy666 wrote:it worries me that fans dont see the reason why players go missing last year.

i disagree mate, oli made a total of 39 league apperances last season.. some fulham players last yr made 60 appearances ..

every player will have an off day.... out of the 39 in the league oli was missing for the vast majority of the final 10 games...

i think that gunnarsson will be a better signing that oli.. and at a fraction of the wages.

oli was rushed back from his knee or back injury for the last 10. thought everyoone knew that??

not taking anything away from GUnn. he seems a class act

Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:26 pm

What do you know about being a Midfield General?

You used to be sub for Georgetown :lol:

"Clubman of the Year" was about your level :lol:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Midfield general wrote:
polo wrote:What do you know about being a Midfield General?

You used to be sub for Georgetown :lol:

"Clubman of the Year" was about your level :lol:

Dont even go there Mr.Polo :lol:

People are on about Gunnerson but remember he hasn't had time off due to the Under 21 European Championships bearing in mind English club managers stopped some English players taking part in the competition due to fears of burn out.

That Slovakian kid will be back-up. A younger fitter version of Oli who can also pass the ball better.

Anyway, why are you bothered. Your a Merthyr fan. :lol:

Remember you used to say in school "Hate people from Merthyr who follow Cardiff instead of supporting their local club"

You might have these fooled councillor but you dont fool me. :D

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:45 pm

Sorry lads, i really dont like oli, too lazy for my liking :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:45 pm

Oli NOT coming back I know someone who knows him VERY well...

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Sometimes i want to weep reading this board.

Koumas? The man is done, finished, its over.

Olifinyana? was good in spells

Now my old mate Midfield General is saying we are 'paper thin' in midfield??

Gunnarsson and Kiss, both self-confessed defensive midfielders, both better
than ANYONE we had in there last season. Cowie, a ball winning, pass finder.
Whittingham.. well, given the role Malky has decided on for him.. I think he
may prove to be one of the best players in this division. They do all the graft
they do most of the tackling, he finds space (and he's good at it).. he keeps the
ball moving. Whitts is also good at getting back behind the ball. In modern
football thats almost as important as getting a tackle in

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:41 pm

taffyapple wrote:Sometimes i want to weep reading this board.

they do most of the tackling, he finds space (and he's good at it).. he keeps the

agree taffy......

whitts will be able to exploit this yr as he had no protection from behind him last yr...

gunnarsson will win the ball all day leaving whitts free to pick out those passes ....

i think whitts will have a big season..

also from what ive seen from cowie is that he has a good engine. has great work rate right up to the end of the game...

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:57 pm

taffyapple wrote:Sometimes i want to weep reading this board.

agree taffy......

whitts will be able to exploit this yr as he had no protection from behind him last yr...

gunnarsson will win the ball all day leaving whitts free to pick out those passes ....

i think whitts will have a big season..

also from what ive seen from cowie is that he has a good engine. has great work rate right up to the end of the game...

I have a funny feeling Kiss is going to be special too.

just a shame Malkys forgotten all about wingers and width, what a plonker eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:04 am

hes right taffy, we need a bigger squad, i would love oli bqack.

and to be fair you have seen kiss play what? 45 mins of football?? gunnarasson 90??

im not saying your wrong bit it is too soon and i would love a winger cm and cb before the start