Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

World Cup 2014 draw in three days time

Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:45 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_ ... tion_(UEFA)

go to the link above and see how it works with 6 pots of teams...we are in pot 6 and the fact that Russia and Georgia are kept apart....

We really need to start moving back up the rankings and that means we need to win games...so we can assume that we will not qualify for Poland or Brazil what would be the best 5 times we could pull out of the hat to try to get as many points as possible in the next tournament to start moving back up the rankings...

my five idea opponents would be

Greece POT 1
Slovakia pot 2
Belarus POT 3
northern Ireland POT 4
Faroe Islands Pot 5

we draw that lot and we will be laughing.

It really is a shame we are so low at the moment but we have 14 players registered last season in the 25 man squads of the Premier clubs so maybe we will do better in the World cup qualifiers ?

Re: World Cup 2014 draw in three days time

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:06 pm

why dont we get freindlies against the faroes and northern ireland teams that are just above us to improove our ranking or is that too obvious :? :?

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:08 pm

nicky evans wrote:why dont we get freindlies against the faroes and northern ireland teams that are just above us to improove our ranking or is that too obvious :? :?

if its anon competitive game when dont earn that many points... hence why we dont move up the rankings much..

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:
nicky evans wrote:why dont we get freindlies against the faroes and northern ireland teams that are just above us to improove our ranking or is that too obvious :? :?

if its anon competitive game when dont earn that many points... hence why we dont move up the rankings much..

ok i just didnt have a clue how they work it theres loads of teams above us that are shit never mind we will nevber get to a major in my lifetime by the looks of it

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:18 pm

nicky evans wrote:

ok i just didnt have a clue how they work it theres loads of teams above us that are shit never mind we will nevber get to a major in my lifetime by the looks of it

as long as we dont get say germany, spain , italy etc... i think we could do better in this group than previous yrs..

if we can get bale, ramsey, ledley, collison, bellamy, etc... all playing regularly for club & country theres no reason y we shouldnt be beating teams like the faroes and azerbaijan etc...

we just need a bit of luck for a change in the draw like n ireland have had a few times rather than a raw deal and end up with germany, holland, russia, and some other half decent nations..

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:23 pm

Norway
Denmark
Hungary
Northern Island
Faroe Islands

Please :ayatollah:

How many qualify from each group?

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Bluebird1993 wrote:Norway
Denmark
Hungary
Northern Island
Faroe Islands

top qualify, best 2nd place will be looking at play off game , or something like that...

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:26 pm

I don't mind so long that we get some good aways, not going to lie. Our team can only improve based on the talent coming through. :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:36 pm

Bluebird1993 wrote:Norway
Denmark
Hungary
Northern Island
Faroe Islands

top qualify, best 2nd place will be looking at play off game , or something like that...

13 qualified from Europe in 2010, so is it the top 2 and play off between the best 3rd places or something?

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:45 pm

Top team automatically qualify then best 8 second placed teams enter a playoff. The last placed 2nd team is eliminated before the playoffs.

Being pot 6 instead of pot 5 won't really make a difference to the draw because we can beat all of those teams in both pots. I'm amazed how FIFA have worked out that us and Iceland are lower than Azerbaijan, Armenia and Faroe Islands.

I have my thoughts about FIFA though and I'm tired of expressing them now. I'm sure others are in a similar frame of mind.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:49 pm

nicky evans wrote:

I never thought Id see City at Wembley mate so there still hope of a finals, that would be great :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:54 pm

ye spot on mate i hope we will

Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:59 pm

From a Scotland POV I would take

Greece
Slovenia
Hungary
Faroe Islands
Wales(good few days out!)

Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:07 pm

i dont mean to sound negative but i can't see us qualifying for a tournament in my lifetime :(