Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Brighton fans' commitment to their club

Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:43 pm

This is a feature on BBC, fairplay they deserve every last inch of that new stadium:

Brighton & Hove Albion move into their new American Express Community Stadium this season after 14 years without a permanent home.
Campaigns by their supporters have been instrumental in the battle to save the club from extinction and get permission to build a new ground.
Two fans who were heavily involved in the fight were Paul Samrah and John Baine.
They could not have been more different - Samrah is an accountant and Baine is a self-styled punk poet known as Attila the Stockbroker.
The duo were galvanised when it came to light that the board of directors - Bill Archer, David Bellotti and Greg Stanley - had agreed to sell the club's original home, the Goldstone Ground, in 1995.
Cannot play media.You do not have the correct version of the flash player. Download the correct version
Stanley tried to appease fans at a meeting at the Concorde pub in Brighton.
"He said: 'The Goldstone will be sold over my dead body', and gave a load of his bluster," Baine told BBC Sussex.
"Sitting in the front row was a bloke looking extremely angry. That was Paul."
"The club was appearing in the High Court every week it seemed," Samrah said.
"The whole club was at risk. The spectre of the sale of the Goldstone was galling."
Pitch invasions
The fans organised pitch invasions to protest against the board of directors during league matches against Notts County, Bournemouth and York. Fans caused the abandonment of the game against York after tearing down the goalposts.
"It was a combination of organised pressure through the media plus direct action on the pitch," Baine continued.

Baine (l) and Samrah have become firm friends after campaigning together
"All those pitch invasions were necessary. We brought what was happening to the club into the public domain.
"These were all people, from all walks of life, who wanted to save the Albion."
"Everyone was totally united," Samrah continued. "When you've got everyone totally united, it's amazing what you can achieve."
Dick Knight's consortium saved the club in April 1997 but the Seagulls were forced to play at Priestfield Stadium in Gillingham for two years.
The club returned to the city to play at Withdean Stadium, but its supporters now had a new target: to get permission to build a new ground.
The fight for Falmer
Labour MP John Prescott, Secretary of State from 2001 to 2007, was the man who could give the green light build a stadium at Falmer.
"We knew we had to be humorous and have a campaign that was focused," Samrah continued.

I'm so proud to be a Brighton supporter. We were the pioneers of fan protest
John Baine aka Attila the Stockbroker
"We always said Prescott never responded to aggressive tactics.
"We knew the subtle approach of Valentine cards, flowers and witty postcards was going to work.
"It was unlike any other campaign. The impact was enormous."
Permission for construction was eventually granted by Hazel Blears in 2007 following two public inquiries.
"I'm so proud to be a Brighton supporter, looking back at the inventiveness, the courage and the dedication shown to save the Albion," Baine said.
"We were the pioneers of fan protest, and long may it continue."
Samrah added: "Now it's up to the club to explain to players in the years to come the story of how we've struggled to get the new stadium and put the club back on the footballing map.
"They've got to know we treasure our club"

Re: Brighton fans' commitment to their club

Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:47 pm

Good on them. I look forward to seeing brighton this season. :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:04 pm

True football fans :ayatollah: far removed from the Plastid brigade who support There Man Us etc :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:13 pm

went on the march with them in my city top when we had the labour party conference down here, fans from all over were there with there colours on :ayatollah: well happy there all sorted, proper footy for proper fans, cant beat it :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:34 pm

so jealous of their stadium...simply lush! lol.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:36 pm

brighton will be the ones to watch this season i feel

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:13 am

gus their gaffa was great at leeds he;ll do big things there...

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:25 am

I've been to the Withdean and have to say, wouldnt have fancied going there every game for years. Was awful! So hats off to them they deserve a new ground