Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The club have enquired about.....

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:08 am

It's my understanding that the club have enquired about taking Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverly on a season long loan. Malky is aware of him from his Watford days but apparenty Utd aren't sure how much of a role he will play this season and it could well be in the September loan window. He's a player that can play in central midfield but is more of a right winger. He's currently in America and played a part in their game v MLS Allstars last night.

How would we feel about Cleverly coming in?
Last edited by Bluebird99 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The club have enquired about.....

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:09 am

The same Cleverley that Sir Alex Ferguson said would be an England international this season and become a more integral part of the Man Utd first team?

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:12 am

Defies said few weeks ago he will not be going out on loan,wigan wanted him.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:12 am

I'd be very surprised if Cleverly became an integeral part of the Man Utd team ahead of Nani, Valencia, Young, Park and Giggs. Hence the point I made about Utd not knowing how much of a part he will play. They are reluctant to let him go and this could be done after this window closes

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:26 am

Bluebird99 wrote:I'd be very surprised if Cleverly became an integeral part of the Man Utd team ahead of Nani, Valencia, Young, Park and Giggs. Hence the point I made about Utd not knowing how much of a part he will play. They are reluctant to let him go and this could be done after this window closes

:lol: All the players you just named are wingers. :lol: Granted Giggs played a lot in CM towards the end of last season but thats because they have very little cover there. There are no CM in the Man Utd squad that Cleverly could not challenge for a 1st team spot.

Thread Over. :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:28 am

Little chance of this happening.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has tipped Tom Cleverley to break into the England squad.

Ferguson said Cleverley, 21, and team-mate Danny Welbeck, 20, who made his England debut last season, will not leave Old Trafford on loan this season.

Cleverley impressed on loan at Wigan last season, while Welbeck scored six goals in his loan spell at Sunderland.

"Welbeck's an England international, an exceptional talent. Cleverley will play for England too," said Ferguson.

The veteran United boss described midfielder Cleverly as "an intelligent modern-day footballer".

"His movement and understanding of space is really good for a young player," added Ferguson.

"We are happy both of them will stay with us. Because of the experience they have had, keeping them now benefits us."

Both players are now with the Manchester United squad on their tour of North America, having been given extra time off following England's disappointing European Under-21 Championship campaign.

Cleverley made 25 Premier League appearances for Wigan last season, as the club avoided relegation on the final day of the season.

Welbeck can play as a winger or striker and his performances for Sunderland saw him make his England debut in the friendly against Ghana in March.

Ferguson gave hope to Welbeck and Cleverley, and new signing Phil Jones, that they would be more than just fringe players next season by citing the examples of promising youngsters Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans in previous campaigns.

Smalling, 21, joined United from Fulham last summer, and ended up making 33 appearances in all competitions.

Evans, a product of the United youth system, has played 81 times for the club in the past three seasons.

Ferguson has always made good use of the loan system, with the likes of David Beckham and Federico Macheda completing loan spells at Preston and Sampdoria respectively in the past.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:30 am

Cleverly can and does okay in central midfield but when he was player of the year for Watford, he managed 11 goals in 33 games FROM THE WING. Hes equally comftable in both positions. Grow up!

Ive not said he's signing have I?

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:32 am

That article does not say anywhere that he or Welbeck are definitely staying! He's talking them up yes but he could be just as happy to loan them rather than them be in the reserves

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:33 am

Bluebird99 wrote:That article does not say anywhere that he or Welbeck are definitely staying! He's talking them up yes but he could be just as happy to loan them rather than them be in the reserves

I'm not having a go mate, and not saying it's 100% out of the question - just that it's unlikely. Fair if it comes off though :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:34 am

Bluebird99 wrote:That article does not say anywhere that he or Welbeck are definitely staying! He's talking them up yes but he could be just as happy to loan them rather than them be in the reserves

Ummm..... Ferguson said Cleverley, 21, and team-mate Danny Welbeck, 20, who made his England debut last season, will not leave Old Trafford on loan this season. :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:36 am

As I stated, we have enquired about him and that is 100%! Utd are still unsure exactly what to do with him and we've been told to wait. That's it, that's all we've/they've done. Maybe if you knew that I used to work for the club and still have lots of links to the club, you will realise that there other people other than Carl hear stuff

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:38 am

even in CM at united they have carrick fletcher gibson anderson giggs who all play in the middle also man utd will have somebody like wes snjeider in soon. so the sooner they sign one more cm the more likely it is cleverly can go out on loan

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:40 am

jezzy666 wrote:even in CM at united they have carrick fletcher gibson anderson giggs who all play in the middle also man utd will have somebody like wes snjeider in soon. so the sooner they sign one more cm the more likely it is cleverly can go out on loan

I just really can't see this happening.. fair play if it does... but it won't.

Besides Cleverly is as good as any of those CM you mentioned on his day except for Fletcher & Giggs. I think cleverly will make the bench week in week out this season for Man Utd. Hope i'm wrong :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:40 am

droopy wrote:

Ummm..... Ferguson said Cleverley, 21, and team-mate Danny Welbeck, 20, who made his England debut last season, will not leave Old Trafford on loan this season. :ayatollah:

It says that but then when you read what he says, he doesn't say that at all. Just that he would be "happy if they stay". He has to say that because if he stated he wanted them to go out on loan and then don't, you'd have two unhappy players who know they haven't got a chance of playing.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:41 am

i think he will make the bench too, but is that what he and sir alex want with him at his age?

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:42 am

jezzy666 wrote:i think he will make the bench too, but is that what he and sir alex want with him at his age?

Exactly!

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:43 am

Bluebird99 wrote:
jezzy666 wrote:i think he will make the bench too, but is that what he and sir alex want with him at his age?

Exactly!

Well.... Let's hope ur right. I would love him here. :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:48 am

Win-win. He will help us get to the Prem and we will help him gain experience. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :wav:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:49 am

If he goes out on loan, i personally think it will be to a Premier League club

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:51 am

Give BLUEBIRD99 a break, he didnt once say they are joining us, he said we've enquired, fergie can tell us to f**k off. We can enquire about messi, doesnt mean he's signing!

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:40 am

Double G wrote:If he goes out on loan, i personally think it will be to a Premier League club

I agree, I dont see the benefit of him dropping down a league after a relatively successful season with .

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:41 am

Would be over the moon if he came, but if I was him I would push to get a first team start at Man ure.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:26 pm

I think people on here are just plucking names out of the air and generating debate, which is good, but let's keep it real. Cleverley is going nowhere as United aren't buying any players, 2 things Ferguson has said himself. How do we know that Malky has enquired about him, especially since Fergie said what he did?

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Nottage Blue wrote:I think people on here are just plucking names out of the air and generating debate, which is good, but let's keep it real. Cleverley is going nowhere as United aren't buying any players, 2 things Ferguson has said himself. How do we know that Malky has enquired about him, especially since Fergie said what he did?

Manu havent stopped buying http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14285602.stm

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:25 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:I think people on here are just plucking names out of the air and generating debate, which is good, but let's keep it real. Cleverley is going nowhere as United aren't buying any players, 2 things Ferguson has said himself. How do we know that Malky has enquired about him, especially since Fergie said what he did?

Manu havent stopped buying http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14285602.stm

Probably Sneijder !