Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

O/T Racism?

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Something which has just come to my attention is that my uni has an "Indian Society" for Indian students. I'm pretty sure that other universities across Britain have similar groups and societies. Surely if a "British Society" was created whereby non-British people were unable to join, it would be deemed as racist and probably not be allowed to run as an official uni society. Views please.

Re: O/T Racism?

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:53 pm

For exactly the same reason if you were in university in India and joined the 'British Society' so you could meet other Brits, have a few beers and discuss any problems you have adjusting to life in a new country.

Edit : Also, have you checked if you are excluded form that society? I'm sure if you wished you could join.
Last edited by bornsurvivor on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:55 pm

why would you even care about racist/nationalistic/whatever stuff anymore...

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:08 pm

bornsurvivor wrote: I'm sure if you wished you could join.

Surely they would see this as defeating the object of the society then and not be too happy at Brits joining?

Quadsas, what a pointless post. :roll: It was a simple enquiry that is all.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:11 pm

jackland_bluebird wrote:Something which has just come to my attention is that my uni has an "Indian Society" for Indian students. I'm pretty sure that other universities across Britain have similar groups and societies. Surely if a "British Society" was created whereby non-British people were unable to join, it would be deemed as racist and probably not be allowed to run as an official uni society. Views please.

I joined the British Residents Association here in Uganda. There is no Ugandan Residents Association, they don't need one, neither does your Uni need a British Society.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:16 pm

bornsurvivor wrote:For exactly the same reason if you were in university in India and joined the 'British Society' so you could meet other Brits, have a few beers and discuss any problems you have adjusting to life in a new country.

Edit : Also, have you checked if you are excluded form that society? I'm sure if you wished you could join.

Thats understandable but i bet 95% of them were born and bred over here. So does that still make it alright ? And would a White background club be ethical ?

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:29 pm

There was an Asian Ball at my Uni.

Then you have the Mobo awards.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Ste_W wrote:There was an Asian Ball at my Uni.

Then you have the Mobo awards.

OH! feck ere we go again with the MOBO's!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:32 pm

Well where are the Mowo awards, where??????

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:41 pm

Lets not start with the MOBO debate again. :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm sure you could setup a British society at your uni to celebrate British culture etc what would be wrong with doing that? In fact, you would probably get a lot of asian and other foreign students wanting to broaden their learning and understanding during their stay who might be interested in joining!

I missed the MOBO awards last year what happened! haha

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:07 pm

this is a 7 pager coming!

fu## sake :(
we are cardiff not Burnley or Oldham !!