Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

2 more signings to challenge for promotion?

Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:45 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... -29141626/

I hope I eat my words but even if bellers is one of the 2 I can't see us being up there at the end of the season. Yes he has signed some good squad players but I still think we are 5 or 6 quality players short of a top 6 finish.

Re: 2 more signings to challenge for promotion?

Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:52 am

I think a few of the new signings will surprise people. I don't know much about people like Kiss or Mason but they are the sort of players that at the end of the season people say "wow, what a gem they picked up there". Same could be said for someone like Conway, Burke took to this league well and aslong as he stays fit, I'd expect the same from Craig too.

As for Bellamy, I certainly wouldn't be hanging around to see if this comes off. I'd rather us go out and get another winger/striker and if then the Bellers deal comes off, we've got depth.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:53 am

I know where you're coming from mate, but in my opinion we don't 5-6 quality signings (maybe 2 or 3). You don't need stars to have a good team capable of challenging at the top, you just have to look at Norwich last season and although I hate to say it Swansea as well, Neither team had a team full of stars but they both got promoted because of their team work and their willingness to work for each other which is what I think we'll see at our club this season. So yeah add Bellamy and then maybe 2 more very good loan players from the premier and I think we can challenge.

In Malky we trust :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:17 pm

were screaming out for a winger and a CB. a goalie too but i cant see us getting a GK at all :/

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:21 pm

the goalies should be fine providing our defence is stronger than last year if hudson and gerrard pick up where they left of last year we will be fine i think but definatly would get one as back up and a winger :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:28 pm

I think we need 4 more players to give a good challenge for promotion, if I was Malky I'd bring in;
striker - Bellamy (loan)
right winger - Fagan (free)
centre mid - David Jones (free)
attacking mid - John Bostock (loan)

I'd also change 2 of our players, they would be;
Gyepes for Luke Chambers, Curtis Davies or Matt Kilgallon
Taiwo for Jonathan Hogg (loan)

And I'd also sell Jon Parkin.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:30 pm

we will not do anything this season im sorry. both of are 1st team strikers are over 30. are defence is weak i dont care what anyone says. we havent really got a play maker apart from whitts. but we all know he can go missing. but he has been different so far.
we are missing a winger. striker. defender. goalkeeper. and a spark like bellamy.
i will take 10th

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:36 pm

NO WAY will another 2 players put Cardiff as promotion challengers .Sounds more like pr excercise again

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:38 pm

we need far more than 2 signings if we want to challenge for promotion. At the moment we are still short of a quick centre back, we only have 1 winger in the squad we gives us any pace and we are short of a quality target man! That is just our starting 11, our strength in depth behind that is also very poor at the moment. We need at the very very least 4 quality signings to come in and immediately challenge, no kids, no gambles, 4 players who can do the business. Malky may not be able to get all the players he needs this transfer window so we may have to wait until January but until we get them in then I am not expecting us to be troubling the autos, let alone the top 6. If we are then Malky Mackay can turn water to wine as far as im concerned! Good luck to him!!

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:39 pm

On paper, we're not looking too strong. But on paper, we should have walked this league by about 20 points last season.

To be honest, we've got a stronger squad that Swansea last year, Blackpool the year before that, and we're on a par with the likes of QPR last season. That doesn't mean we're going up, that just means that on paper we stand a chance.

Last season made me realise that it doesn't matter how strong your squad is on paper, it's about how they gel and how the manager motivates/plays them.

It Malky we trust.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:39 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:we need far more than 2 signings if we want to challenge for promotion. At the moment we are still short of a quick centre back, we only have 1 winger in the squad we gives us any pace and we are short of a quality target man! That is just our starting 11, our strength in depth behind that is also very poor at the moment. We need at the very very least 4 quality signings to come in and immediately challenge, no kids, no gambles, 4 players who can do the business. Malky may not be able to get all the players he needs this transfer window so we may have to wait until January but until we get them in then I am not expecting us to be troubling the autos, let alone the top 6. If we are then Malky Mackay can turn water to wine as far as im concerned! Good luck to him!!

he said before we signed kiss he wanted 6 players :? now he wants 2 :| worried

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:40 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:
Jimbo27 wrote:we need far more than 2 signings if we want to challenge for promotion. At the moment we are still short of a quick centre back, we only have 1 winger in the squad we gives us any pace and we are short of a quality target man! That is just our starting 11, our strength in depth behind that is also very poor at the moment. We need at the very very least 4 quality signings to come in and immediately challenge, no kids, no gambles, 4 players who can do the business. Malky may not be able to get all the players he needs this transfer window so we may have to wait until January but until we get them in then I am not expecting us to be troubling the autos, let alone the top 6. If we are then Malky Mackay can turn water to wine as far as im concerned! Good luck to him!!

after kiss came miller and gestede.... so thats 3 more he wants and he said he wants 2-3 not just 2.

so its correct :)

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:41 pm

Bluebird99 wrote:I think a few of the new signings will surprise people. I don't know much about people like Kiss or Mason but they are the sort of players that at the end of the season people say "wow, what a gem they picked up there". Same could be said for someone like Conway, Burke took to this league well and aslong as he stays fit, I'd expect the same from Craig too.

As for Bellamy, I certainly wouldn't be hanging around to see if this comes off. I'd rather us go out and get another winger/striker and if then the Bellers deal comes off, we've got depth.

I pretty much agree with this, especially the Bellamy point. But I think that, immediately, we need 2 wide players and not the 5 or 6 as has been suggested

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:56 pm

jezzy666 wrote:
bluebird7291 wrote:

after kiss came miller and gestede.... so thats 3 more he wants and he said he wants 2-3 not just 2.

so its correct :)

i stand corrected :lol: i honestly thought we had them before. I AM A BELL EN :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:22 pm

I think we should consolidate this season and aim for the play offs then go up next season when the South Wales derby matches will resume :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah: