Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

has a lot really changed ?

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:33 am

When Dave jones was her Cardiff used to obtain players on loan or freebies and pay them high wages to come here .Has a LOT really changed under new management ?.We still seem to be looking for freebies.WE still seem to want players where no transfer fee is payable or if so very little.Can u honestly see the players we have making a challenge for the top 2?or even the top 6.?

Re: has a lot really changed ?

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:53 am

john52 wrote:When Dave jones was her Cardiff used to obtain players on loan or freebies and pay them high wages to come here .Has a LOT really changed under new management ?.We still seem to be looking for freebies.WE still seem to want players where no transfer fee is payable or if so very little.Can u honestly see the players we have making a challenge for the top 2?or even the top 6.?

I'm confused, you say that nothing has changed from the Dave Jones days as far as player recruitment goes and, given the way the summer's gone, I can understand that, but you then imply that we cannot challenge for promotion this year. Largely relying on loans and freebies has seen us be genuine challengers for a top six place in the past three seasons (in fact I'd say we have been top two challengers for all but a few weeks of that time), so I'm not sure why you seem to think we cannot do it again.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:16 am

Get a grip. Mackays signings have been spot on so far. Two proven goal scorers another with loads of potential ( you don't play for any french national team otherwise) and he has identified our problem areas, left back and midfield. I thought he may have gone for another keeper but must have faith in what we've got. I am far more optimistic about this season than any in a long time :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:19 am

Unfortunately I just don't think we've got enough top quality players or matchwinners in our squad to go up this year, which is a shame but we've gotta give Malky a couple of seasons to build so I'm not going to be expecting anything this year, and just see what happens

Honestly, I think we'll finish about 13th, because I don't think our attack is strong enough this season to bail out what is a very average/poor defence that we have, like they did last season.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:25 am

yes

for the better----- no
new manager and backroom staff and half a new team

Bothroyd is better than Miller
Burke is better than Conway
Chopra is better than Earnie
Oli is beter than Cowie
Bellamy is better than every player

But then again its a team game

Mid table for me

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:30 am

gonna sound a bit stupid but

more players signing on perm contacts could be advantage least they no they staying here rather than a loan going at then end of the season....

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:48 am

Midfield general wrote:Hand on heart I really dont fancy our chances for playoffs this season. I don't know why but something is telling me that lead and balloon will show their faces very early on and we could struggle. I think the midfield is paper thin and apart from Parkin the attack is too small.

You're feeling down? But you're always so positive and full of energy and a never say die attitude, lol j/k France in WW2 had more resolve.

I don't see why people can predict at all this season, who would have thought Blackpool or Burnley would have made it when they did, still who would have thought Ipswich would have collapsed the way they did under Keane. A solid top half finish with developed team and individuals would be a great accomplishment. It's not as though under Dave Jones we flew into being 'challengers' immediately it can take time.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:27 am

At the back end of last season we had 23 fit and ready to play players (GK: 3, Def: 9, MF: 7, FW: 4)

This season its 24 players (GK:2, Def: 9, MF: 8, FW: 5) and MM is still eager to add so the squad numbers argument doesn't wash.

DJ hated large squads because he couldn't control them or use them effectively. MM has stated his desire to build an efective squad.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:01 pm

in answer to bob wilson Because last year we had a POTENTIALLY lethal strike force and this year we havent .My main question really was to what extent have things changed as far as the kind of players we will be able to attract and how?Bearing in mind that we seem to be having the same policy of not wanting to pay any substantialtransfer fees