Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: WHERE IF ANYWHERE . . . . . . . . .

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:22 am

Our back 5 have shown time and again that they're not capable of keeping clean sheets regards of who plays in what position. Most successful sides are built from the back for me a dominant goalkeeper and centre half should be Malkys next priorities.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:22 am

Carl
The demise of Dave Jones was because he didn't address the defensive frailties we had and in my mind still have. Our two keepers do not command their box or come for crosses so perhaps a keeper? Having Gerrard back should stiffen up our back line but I would like to se a no nonsense centre back brought in.

With the Bellers situation dragging on perhaps a Routledge with a bit of pace and guile would help an exciting looking forward line?

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:23 am

None our squad is ideal for playing a diamond formation, all the players are there.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:29 am

centre mid
attacking mid
right winger
striker

:ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:36 am

we need a Japp Stam, a Roberto Carlos, a Roy Keane and a John Barnes.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:48 am

ivor smart wrote:we need a Japp Stam, a Roberto Carlos, a Roy Keane and a John Barnes.

Very shrewd as they are all avaiable on free transfers.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:49 am

Lets face it we have little quality in this side at present,no one IMO that could turn a game bar Wittingham! The manager has money to spend and is not doing so why? I think this is where his lack of experience will show as he has really only bought players that are Scottish or from Watford,he has hardly taken a gamble or is it that he cant see what we need.We are all lovey dovey with Malky at the moment but lets see how we all feel when we are bottom of the league after three games,lets face it West Ham away,Bristol City and Brighton home are tricky games to say the least.We have lost 40 goals and maybe replaced 20 so to asnswer your question we need two central defenders,a winger and experienced central midfield player and at least 2 strikers!!! Its time our manager grew a pair IMO as the first few games I think will shape our season and the team at present aint good enough for sure!!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:53 am

At the very very least we need a quick centre back, another winger and a proven target man so thats 3 players right there! However im very worried about the poor strength in depth that we have so I'd ideally like to see us sign at least 5 more players. I would have thought we would be bringing a few guys in on loan which will boost the ranks but the sooner we do this the better as the way we are currently shaping up im quite worried.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:24 am

Creativity in midfield + a monster of a centre back.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:40 am

In:
Centre-back (To compete with Huds and Gez for 1st team place)
RIght-midfield (Top quality player to be 1st team player)
Centre-midfield (Youngster with a bit of experience on loan)
Striker (Promising Young striker)

Also would be temped to get a Left-back in on loan if one became available (Players like Bertrand or Van Aanholt)

Out:
Gyepes (Sell)
Parkin (Sell)
Jarvis (Loan)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:59 am

I think Bellamy would be enough tbh.

Ideally id like another striker and a winger.

If we couold offload Gypes and Naylor that would be useful.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:26 pm

Winger someome with pace
Centre back a big lad Martin Taylor?
Striker Goodwillie would be perfect but if we have this 10 million to spend why not get shane long :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:11 pm

carlccfc wrote:Do you think our squad is lacking ?

How many more signings do you think we need to be ale to compete at the top end of the division?

Not looking for names but more position wise.

Probably 1 to 11 :old:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:09 pm

CB - James Collins

Wing - Routledge

Wing/forward - Bellers.

Our creative midfielder is Whitts or Cowie can come inside. Gunnarsson and Kiss defensive midfield.

Just worried by how many chances the team at the moment is creating.
A lack of raw genuine pace throughout the side.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:19 pm

Goodwillie and Bellers.

I would then like to look to Sweden, Norway etc for a solid CB and holding midfield player. You get great value over there.

Miller, Goodwillie and Bellers have enough goals in them to get us there or there abouts come the end of the season.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:57 pm

I still think we need another striker and a winger.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:22 pm

We are going to need a miricle even if we get 5/6 other players in we still dont have the same class as what we lost at end of last season ,not one signing has excited me to be honest eitherway it will take 1-3season for MM to build and ditch the shit that DJ left behind under contract and people need to realise this so i dont expect anything this year just to stay in same league to be honest :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:19 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:We are going to need a miricle even if we get 5/6 other players in we still dont have the same class as what we lost at end of last season ,not one signing has excited me to be honest eitherway it will take 1-3season for MM to build and ditch the shit that DJ left behind under contract and people need to realise this so i dont expect anything this year just to stay in same league to be honest :ayatollah:

Sorry but I have to disagree today we played very well against a Top Seria A side. Back four a lot stronger than last season, Midfield had more running, could do with a battler to put him self about a bit if required. Miller will prove to be very influential could do with a proven hit man. Parkin not up to the job in this division, Gestede needs a lot of development and needs to work on his positioning (need for a B side but that's another debate).

In short one hard man in midfield and a proven target man for Miller or Earnie.

Fagin didn't any thing foe me this afternoon, maybe time will tell.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:39 pm

BlueView wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:We are going to need a miricle even if we get 5/6 other players in we still dont have the same class as what we lost at end of last season ,not one signing has excited me to be honest eitherway it will take 1-3season for MM to build and ditch the shit that DJ left behind under contract and people need to realise this so i dont expect anything this year just to stay in same league to be honest :ayatollah:

Sorry but I have to disagree today we played very well against a Top Seria A side. Back four a lot stronger than last season, Midfield had more running, could do with a battler to put him self about a bit if required. Miller will prove to be very influential could do with a proven hit man. Parkin not up to the job in this division, Gestede needs a lot of development and needs to work on his positioning (need for a B side but that's another debate).

In short one hard man in midfield and a proven target man for Miller or Earnie.

Fagin didn't any thing foe me this afternoon, maybe time will tell.

its only one game we have looked good that will not achieve anything this year

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:16 pm

GOALKEEPER, CENTRE BACK AND A STRIKER AND POSS A WINGER :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

no disrespect meant but why is this a sticky? no doubt that stickys play their part but there are too many and posts like this are the reason why. not a bad post but a classic example of what makes this board look cluttered

Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:44 pm

During the game today i said to my mate next to me we need more width, especially on the right. Kev was good going forward but left us a bit exposed at the back. If we can get Bellamy in we know how good he is on the left so i'd like to think Conway would shift over to the right.

Defence looked good, and so did the midfield. Dont have any 'major' worries about our squad.

Fingers crossed Bellamy comes home sooner rather than later. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:57 pm

SBF1 wrote:CB, (centre back not Craig Bellamy) :D

I would like to see a more reliable keeper. Never comfortable with Marshall and Heaton is not good at coming off of his line and also not clever collecting crosses.IMHO.

I also want to see how the centre mid play today too. :?:

Difficult to say without seeing the first 11 play for 90 mins though.

The keepers are fine. I've got to laugh at your second point about Heaton - have you seen Marshall's pathetic ability to deal with corners ? Remember the play-off final ? I still have nightmares about it. Heaton is good at coming off his line as well - the defence trust him and he's much less hesitant than Marshall.

Heaton for me !

Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:30 pm

I think firstly we need a match winner someone who can either create something out of nothing we only got whitts! or someone to be able to beat a player which we ain't got! So for me it's a creative mid fielder and a winger names ideally Ramsey and routledge! But realistically mcgugan from forest and Kebe from reading!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:06 pm

depsite having some good working players,

we still lack that bit of quality...

id like to see a top winger, another quality cm... 1 more striker and def a top centre half...

4 more players...

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:26 pm

I definitely feel that we need more than 2 new players. Personally, I think we need another 5, possibly even 6 new signings. I would love for us to sign another goalkeeper, a centre half (with pace), a central midfielder (that scores goals, sets up goals and is creative), 2 right wingers and 1 more proven striker. If we were to bring in another quality 6 players and add them to our current squad then I really do think that we could challenge for promotion this season. I do think we need more than the 2 new players that Malky thinks we need, however Malky is the boss and surely he knows best??? I would be pretty content if we brought in 3-4 new players, as I feel then we could challenge for the play-offs, but if we want to challenge for the automatic places then we really would need another 5 or 6 new players, in my honest opinion.

Blooooooooobirds

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:24 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
ivor smart wrote:we need a Japp Stam, a Roberto Carlos, a Roy Keane and a John Barnes.

Very shrewd as they are all avaiable on free transfers.

Its Jaap Stam but nevermind, awesome defender, full of passion and ability x 10 John Terry and like Sir Alex said one of his biggest mistakes selling him.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:09 am

carlccfc wrote:Do you think our squad is lacking ?

How many more signings do you think we need to be ale to compete at the top end of the division?

Not looking for names but more position wise.

Carl after watching the Parma match, we are seriously lacking any width, ala Burke Routledge wtf was super Kev doing playing up on the right wing? because we had no-one else to go down that flank. Whits should be out wide using his pace NOT in the middle.

Earnshaw and Miller up front, God the likes of Sonko at Reading will eat them for a snack. All the hype of the signings made it all look good on paper but in practice :?: Our spine is seriously lacking any strength and unless we get a play maker and a target man imo I think we are in for a below average season.

The only good thing is my expectations can only go up and I won't be disappointed with our season :cry:
AndyFS

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:51 am

After watching them yesterday we deffo need someone quick in defence as mc naughton was doing all the running by himself
and a left winger was very volitile on the left

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:06 pm

2 wingers more strikers a fullback , versatile midfielder and defender, maybe a keeper

we need to start scoring

p.s seria A isn't much better than the championship apart from the big few sides I'm not gonna get carried away on current squad size it's a bit of a concern