Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Just got back....

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:59 pm

.....and I'm really confident. Against a decent Parma team, I'd say we bossed the game and created a few chances!

Really impressed with Gestede, Conway, Mason, Whittingham and the defence in general (although McNaughton was incredible).

I'm really, really optimistic after watching that game

Re: Just got back....

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:03 pm

me too :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:09 pm

In all honesty I feel far more confident than last season, I think Miller is going to be very influential. Gestede, needs games at Championship level get his positioning better at long kick outs. Conway didn't stop running back four will gel very well.

Top 6 finish minimum.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:11 pm

Agree with all of that but the french Bothroyd lookalike is very raw - He's not championship standard YET

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:00 pm

Very impressed with young mason,my motm,closely followed by whitts & conway.Overall a very good team performance,where i felt the team togetherness shone through (although they have only been together for 5 mins),that i think is down to MM and the background staff .COME ON CITY IN MM WE TRUST :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:03 pm

bluecek60 wrote:Very impressed with young mason,my motm,closely followed by whitts & conway.Overall a very good team performance,where i felt the team togetherness shone through (although they have only been together for 5 mins),that i think is down to MM and the background staff .COME ON CITY IN MM WE TRUST :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Whitts was so far and away man of the match it wasnt even close. He was everywhere and his passing was premiership class. Mason was however much improved and showed some potential. Still a little raw but looking forward to seeing more of him! Conway also looked exciting and I think hes going to be a fan favourite. We were also missing Kiss and Gunnarson and they have looked good pre season so if you throw them into the mix we are not looking too bad all of a sudden! :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:15 pm

nice to see confident fans :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Whitts was MOTM today but Conway, Mason and Super Kev couldn't have been far behind. So much sharper today. Nobody really had a bad game. I think Gestede was excellent today. I took a couple of knocks and didn't moan, just got on with it. He's young and still new but I like the look of him a lot. I also like the 4-3-3 we played too

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:22 pm

Bluebird99 wrote:Whitts was MOTM today but Conway, Mason and Super Kev couldn't have been far behind. So much sharper today. Nobody really had a bad game. I think Gestede was excellent today. I took a couple of knocks and didn't moan, just got on with it. He's young and still new but I like the look of him a lot. I also like the 4-3-3 we played too

Conway and Super Kev were also very good! Conway looked lightning! Gestede didnt overly impress me to be honest, he put himself about and won some good headers but he didnt look great with his feet! Saying that, hes a vast improvement on Parkin! I also liked the 433, i dont think we will play it every game but at least we have a plan b and we looked very impressive knocking the ball around at times!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Gestede didnt overly impress me to be honest, he put himself about and won some good headers but he didnt look great with his feet

dont want to turn this into a DJ debate and this certainly isnt aimed at you but in general.

ALOT of people said they wanted rid of Jay and would rather someone with some bottle and who would get stuck in - if this is what we got with Ruddy will these people be happy? - I still think Jay will be a massive loss.

Also Witts by all accounts MOTM and showed a master class playing a deep role - something DJ used a number of times last season and was slated for? what is the difference? difference formation or was it just DJ bashing?. - to me again it makes sense to have the player most comfortable on the ball dropping deep to collect it.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:43 pm

Anyone else worried that 10+ crosses went in and no one got on the end of them especially in the air because of mason,earnie and miller?

However Overall great performance mason,conway and whitts best players and defence looked solid even against that beast upfront!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:46 pm

how many headed goals did we get last season though? Jay got very few, oli got some but no much else.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:47 pm

2blue2handle wrote:how many headed goals did we get last season though? Jay got very few, oli got some but no much else.

very true we where alot better passing it fast and quick

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:50 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Gestede didnt overly impress me to be honest, he put himself about and won some good headers but he didnt look great with his feet

dont want to turn this into a DJ debate and this certainly isnt aimed at you but in general.

ALOT of people said they wanted rid of Jay and would rather someone with some bottle and who would get stuck in - if this is what we got with Ruddy will these people be happy? - I still think Jay will be a massive loss.

Also Witts by all accounts MOTM and showed a master class playing a deep role - something DJ used a number of times last season and was slated for? what is the difference? difference formation or was it just DJ bashing?. - to me again it makes sense to have the player most comfortable on the ball dropping deep to collect it.

Aye, but DJ set the team up so that Whittingham had minimal protection and passing options, effectively making him useless for this role. Note how it rarely worked last season but worked well today.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Aye, but DJ set the team up so that Whittingham had minimal protection and passing options, effectively making him useless for this role. Note how it rarely worked last season but worked well today.

I didnt go today so thats why I asked :ayatollah:
I dont totally agree it didnt work before but certainly the balance wasnt quite right last season.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:23 pm

why do some people want new centre backs? i thought gerrard and hudson were great together.

Gerrard screaming for the ball even for the simplest of passes across the back line is also good to see.

Malky shouting on the line is the best thing i've seen down Cardiff in recent years. A proper old school manager straight from the first whistle he started shouting at them

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:23 pm

Whitts is a class act, Mason looked good and Conway looks the part, lets hope Earnie and Miller can deliver the goals

Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:33 pm

Just got back myself and agree with some of your comments. I thought Earnshaw, Mason, Conway and Miller when he came on looked very good. Mcnaughton and Whitts also perserved and for me looked very solid. However I thought the French bloke number 15 in the first half Rudi looked terrible, lethargic and not chasing or closing anyone down. Good to see around 30 Parma fans having a good sing song and overall a good day out.