Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

PARMA PLAYER RATINGS

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:11 pm

Firstly this was a much improved performance. Lining up in a 4312 formation Malky tried something different and at times we really played some nice football. By and large we played the ball on the floor and long balls were kept to a minimum. Whilst we didnt score our build up play was encouraging and we looked fairly secure at the back. I said in another thread that as this was the final pre season game I was hoping to see a lot more from us today and I was not disapointed. The team seemed to be gelling and you could see some decent partnerships emerging. If we could add Bellamy, another winger, and another centre back then this could have the makings of a team that could challenge the top 6.

MARSHALL - 8/10 - Didnt have to do much but made one outstanding save in the first half and generally looked calm and assured.

Taylor - 7/10 - defensively sound and good distribution. Doesnt appear to like going forward but looks solid.

Hudson - 7/10 - Captain today and gave a steady performance. Distribution was good and made some great tackles and blocks.

Gerrard - 6/10 - made an outstanding tackle in the second half, and gave his all, but he was one of the few players who still seemed determined to play long balls and some of these efforts went nowhere near a blue shirt.

McNaugton - 8/10 - outstanding performance from Super Kev. I still cant believe no one has made an offer for him.

Cowie - 7/10 - doesnt look comfortable out wide but when he moved into a more central position he was much improved and kept the ball moving nicely.

Conway - 8/10 - get the feeling that Conway will be a real crowd favourite. He is lightning quick, and skilful, and loves running at his full back.

Whittingham - 10/10 - this was a midfield masterclass and he would not have looked out of place in the Parma side. Its clear that Malky is building his team around him and Whitts is relishing it. On this form he's going to be a force to be reckoned with this season.

Mason - 7/10 - After being disapointed with Mason's performance against Celtic he actually played well today. Instead of playing on the shoulder he seemed to play in the hole and looked more comortable. He made some good runs, showed some pace, and had some good shots. Definitely showed that he had something about him today but still looks a little raw.

Earnie - 6/10 - apart from one brilliant effort which hit the bar Earnie looked a bit rusty but it was great to see him back and im sure that once he has caught up on pre season he will get his sharpness back.

Gestede - 6/10 - looks the spitting image of Jay Bothroyd and put himself about, winning a few headers, but on the floor he looked a bit slow.

Miller - 7/10 - Hit the underside of the bar and had some good snap shots. Looked very lively and showed some nice touches.

Fagan - 5/10 - looked to be carrying a bit of weight and generally struggled to get into the game when he came on.

Naylor - 7/10 - played left midfield when he came on and played some very good passes, and even nutmegged his full back at one point which led to a freekick. Some idiots booed him when he came on which was beyond moronic and I have to admit that Naylor has actually been one of our better players pre season. Seems vastly improved.

Taiwo - 6/10 - his first pass went horribly wrong but then made some decent passes and kept possession well. It is however clear that he is far too slow for this level.

Keinan - 6/10 - didnt come on for long and didnt do anything wrong.

All in all a very good run out and it was great to see us play some football instead of just knocking it up to Jay all the time. It may take some time to settle everyone in, and we are a very small team, but Malky's football philosophy is definitely coming across. It was great to see Malky come out to the middle of the pitch at the end of the game, applaud all sides of the ground and do the ayatollah. He seems to really be buying into the club and looks to be enjoying himself. Cant wait for the season to start now! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: PARMA PLAYER RATINGS

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:23 pm

Generally agree but thought Gerrard was worth more than a 6 - Miller 7 ?

We are going to struggle to score goals - Lets face it Palma are probably 2 weeks behind us as the Ity season starts later

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:32 pm

4-3-1-2?

I read it as more of a 4-1-3-2 - Whittingham dropping deeper to get the ball and instigate things. Conway wide left, Cowie nominally wide right with Mason floating behind front two.

Found it promising, but Cowie was almost exclusively moving inside - meaning a lack of width right and Super Kev in a league game would have been exposed - having to get forward.

I can understand the formation - plays to the strengths of Whittingham by getting him time on the ball and Mason who has good awareness and movement, but for league games it would weaken us defensively. It was noticeable at times we'd have the back 4 + Whitts in our half, the rest getting forward.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:49 pm

nerd wrote:4-3-1-2?

I read it as more of a 4-1-3-2 - Whittingham dropping deeper to get the ball and instigate things. Conway wide left, Cowie nominally wide right with Mason floating behind front two.

Found it promising, but Cowie was almost exclusively moving inside - meaning a lack of width right and Super Kev in a league game would have been exposed - having to get forward.

I can understand the formation - plays to the strengths of Whittingham by getting him time on the ball and Mason who has good awareness and movement, but for league games it would weaken us defensively. It was noticeable at times we'd have the back 4 + Whitts in our half, the rest getting forward.

Whitts was in hospitality after the game and said it was a 4312 but it was pretty fluid to be honest and everyone seemed to interchange quite comfortably. He also said he had been asked to get on the ball as much as possible and to try and get it off the back four. I agree about Cowie, he keeps the ball well enough but doesnt give us much width so would be good if we could get another proper winger in but i was impressed with Conway!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:52 pm

Mr Moo Cow wrote:Generally agree but thought Gerrard was worth more than a 6 - Miller 7 ?

We are going to struggle to score goals - Lets face it Palma are probably 2 weeks behind us as the Ity season starts later

6/10 for Gerrard maybe harsh as he didnt do too badly and he made some great tackles. But for me he seems to get caught by balls to the back post too often for my liking and he is too quick to play a long ball out from the back. I love his attitude though, you could hear him talking all through the game and he loves a tackle.

Just out of interest what would you have given Miller? I thought that considering it was his first proper pre season game, and hes a few weeks behind everyone else, he showed some nice touches and wasnt afraid to shoot. I agree though that the game did highlight that we need a bit more in the final third but then again we did hit the woodwork 3 times!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:36 pm

Someone who likes to shoot :love1: