Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FAO Those who went to the Parma game

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:27 pm

I missed the game because I was down The Big Cheese with the family and a few mates...

Did we see a notable difference in play from last season? Were there indications of a more exciting brand of football? Was the ball kept on the floor? How did we build play? What formations did we use? How were we without the ball?

All the reports I've read suggest theres plenty to look forward to and we'll be a hard team to beat as well if we continue the same work ethic...I do believe the league needs to watch out for us this season - this is effectively Malky's team he's literally built. I have faith in him and as a result alot of faith in us doing very well :ayatollah:

Re: FAO Those who went to the Parma game

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:01 am

Dominated for the majority of it. Second half was probably the team's better half of the game. Had chances throughout though and perhaps should've taken them. I think the fact we controlled it is mostly down to Parma being quite a bit behind City in terms of pre-season preparation. Serie A doesn't start until the end of August as it's so hot out there at this time of year !

Standout performers for me were Gerrard (unbelievable first touch nowadays, especially his chest touch :lol: ) and Mason. Showed good strength on the ball, made some good runs into space and ran at them with intent :lol: Never afraid to have a shot !

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:31 am

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:Dominated for the majority of it. Second half was probably the team's better half of the game. Had chances throughout though and perhaps should've taken them. I think the fact we controlled it is mostly down to Parma being quite a bit behind City in terms of pre-season preparation. Serie A doesn't start until the end of August as it's so hot out there at this time of year !

Standout performers for me were Gerrard (unbelievable first touch nowadays, especially his chest touch :lol: ) and Mason. Showed good strength on the ball, made some good runs into space and ran at them with intent :lol: Never afraid to have a shot !

Cheers butt...do you think Mason has a real chance of starting at Upton park after that performance?

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:04 am

Mason was impressive, he likes to get the ball and attack the opposition, I think we have unearthed a gem. Will he start games I think yes, he is still young so needs time to develope, good one for the future.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:13 am

Much better performance than the Celtic game. Good possession, didn't seem at all troubled by Parma. No goals though, that was the only concerning thing, but had loots of good opportunities (hit wood work twice) and I'm sure with a bit of time for the team to gel we'll have a pretty solid team. Whitingham look great.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:31 am

Sounds good boys...real progress :ayatollah:

I'm liking the sound of Mason also. In his interviews with the club and the media to date his attitude seems superb and when younget players like him display the right approach and realise some of their potential early it makes our squad so much stronger, amd more importantly adds more weight to the promotion push

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:15 am

For me mason was motm,but only just overall it was a very good team performance,and how refreshing to see us play 4-3-3.
At the back super kev was his immpressive self,taylor looked solid(who imo was up against parma's best player on the day),
he kept him quiet for most of the game,although from one sublime cross he split our cb's and the parma striker was left with a free header,having said that both hudson and gerrard (that mistake apart)had things preety much under control.
Well what can you say about whitts,his passing ability (as we know) was top notch and was one of many stand out players,
cowie too hardly wasted a pass and he doe's seem to like to get the ball away quickly,conway showed his trickery on the wing
with several good runs.the only downside his superb crosses(of which there were a fair few)were not converted into at least
one goal,thought earnie started slowly,but showed some good twists and turns to get away from his marker,least immpressive player gestde,altough he showed agood attitude and willingness to work for the team.But i go back to mason for one so young and inexperienced,thought he played a blinder in behind the front two his runs and link up play were excellent.
Overall top team performance both with and without the ball,where imo we looked in control throughout the whole 90mins.
IN MM WE TRUST :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:30 am

Thought Whitts was the best player on the pitch closely followed by Mason who looks a good prospect but still raw, Cowie looked good but when he had chances to shoot decided to pass instead. We definitely need another 3 or 4 players including another striker, centre half with pace and a right winger are a must.

Although it's no secret i was told yesterday that Bellamy is Malkys number one target and we haven't given up on Luke Chambers plus Malkys enquired about a Premiership player on loan but we might have to wait until September (Couldn't get any details of who the player is or his position) :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:07 pm

the only downside was the lack of goals im afraid earnie still has no control and his passing was shocking at times not first team imo

Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:46 pm

as they say. its a funny old game. most of us on here. me included. was hoping the city except the deal from forest last season. but from what i have heard. hes playing well. so glad we kept whitts :roll: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:34 pm

I thought the "team" looked good !

They looked like a team, they ALL wanted the ball !

I saw the Celtic game too and the improvement was excellent.

I for one am now looking forward to the new season !

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:40 pm

i went down expecting a shit friendly but i quite enjoyed it. should have won the game, played some nice football at times but lacked a bit of bit of firepower up front. :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:01 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55257