Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Is anyone else worried that Earnie and Millar...

Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:32 am

Midfield general wrote:are too small and are two very similar players..? Both players in the past played always played with a big striker alongside them.

Yep ain't gonna work together.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:41 am

Midfield general wrote:are too small and are two very similar players..? Both players in the past played always played with a big striker alongside them.

I haven't got the concerns as yet, i'm to see how it goes. It can work, both are experienced & clever enough to know how to make it work, that coupled with Malky setting up the team in terms of approach, style and personnel to make it work also.

Experience is the key imo...there will be games where potentially theyre hounded out ( particularly away from home),so Malky needs to have a plan b - which i think he has in Rudy & Mason. However if theyre played consistently together throughout the season theyll success will far out way the negatives.

Both will get into double figures imo :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:43 am

We are use to having Bothroyd as our target man. When he was not playing or got injured we had no plan B such as to play the ball on the ground. I recall once we were forced to having Chopra and MacCormack up front and guess what we still played the high ball. It as like we were programmed to play that and nothing else.

Yesterday we had no height up front in the second half. Yet we dominated the play with our ground work football. Only thing missing was a goal. I'm not too sur e if this will be enough for us to challenge this season but it should leave us comfortable safe in mid table. I feel a bit more tweeking and we could be challlenging though.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:02 am

I'm worried about Earnie full stop. I know he's a big hero to some, but i think he's a big mistake. Nothing more than a bit part player for Forest, an injury prone player in rapid decline.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:16 am

Krel wrote:I'm worried about Earnie full stop. I know he's a big hero to some, but i think he's a big mistake. Nothing more than a bit part player for Forest, an injury prone player in rapid decline.

earnie played very well against parma

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:24 am

I hate to say this but I think we gonna miss Bothroyd big time

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:24 am

Earnie done nothing against Palma

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:48 am

Never really been a fan of Earnie, so not expecting great things this season from him. Overall too early to judge how the team will perform, but I can't see us getting hammered anywhere nor can I see us giving other teams a going over.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:51 am

i think if the ball is kept on the floor when playing through to them then they will be good together but when crosses come flying in not a chance in hell but we did make quite a scare with Earnie and Miller up front from Super Kevs cross when Earnies shot was blocked by the defender.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:53 am

Mr Moo Cow wrote:Earnie done nothing against Palma

Neither did anyone else.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:12 am

We don't need a target man on the pitch!!! Like everyone's been saying we want to start playing football the right way like gypos down the road did last season, if we keep it on the floor like we should Earnie and Miller will work well!

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:14 am

We are gonna play a different way. As fans we have been used to the target man set up and without it we are all worrying.

My only concern is Earnie, not sure it's still there. However I think Miller offers much more and will run himself ragged. I am very, very excited about Mason, seen him three times now and the kid will be a star.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:15 am

miller and mason could be interesting pairing.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:35 am

not at all
going to score quite a few between them this season, need another winger though as not much pace in team

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:57 am

i cant believe the criticism Earnie is getting already!!! Yesterday wasnt his best game but hes been out injured for two weeks and it was one of his first games of pre season, against a tough serie a team! His build up play was never the best but he shines in the box! Yesterday the service to him wasnt the best so he didnt get the chance to do what he excels at! Earnie will be ok and will get into double figures this season.

As for Earnie and Miller together im yet to be fully convinced. In an ideal world i would have had Jay Bothroyd (pre england form) alongside one of them and i think that would have been perfect! Unfortunately talents like Jay at this level are few and far between and im not sure we will find a mobile, quick target man to replace him! Rather than have lumps like Parkin and Gestede up there I think I would prefer two, quick, strikers. The way we seem to be playing seems to suggest that we wont be lumping it long up to the front pair anyway so we can play it short and into feet.

Mason did look good yesterday but i didnt think he looked great against Celtic where he played as a striker in a 442 formation. In that position he seemed a bit lost and his touch was shown up playing with his back to goal! On the tip of a midfield diamond yesterday (in the hole) he looked much more comfortable and showed some good moments but im not yet convinced he's going to be someone who is ready for our starting 11 week in and week out just yet. Still a bit raw for my liking but he did show some encouraging glimpses yesterday! Im thinking that if Bellamy comes back then Mackay has earmarked him for this role at the tip of the midfield diamond and i think that would really suit him!

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:07 pm

I don't think the Miller & Earnie show will be a success either.

But not because I don't think either one of them isn't capable of putting the ball away. Far from it.

My worry, is that most Championship sides excluding perhaps the Jacks, when they are under pressure or are a goal down, often resort to basic, route one football. I'm sorry but that's the league we are in. I can't see Mark Hudson tarting about on the edge of his own box doing a 360' pirouette ala McPhail. The ball is going to leave his foot at a considerable rate of knots, up in the air as far as he can get it.
6'3 defenders will eat them up all day long.

"IF" (and it's a big "if") MM has brainwashed them otherwise, then Gunnarrsson, Cowie, Kiss and especially Whitts will be pivital in our success this season.

I'm hoping he starts with Miller/Gestede.

Brings Earnie on for Miller or Mason on for Gestede... depending on which one is running on empty.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:37 pm

Yorke & Cole of the Championship? :D

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:23 pm

i must admit i agree to a certain extent but after a lil ponder bout our strike force infact our whole team i like the fact we can confuse other teams with our selection last season we had a great starting 11 an we played predictable this season who knows what the boss plans on doing for each game miller an earnie fast low to the floor finishers chuck gestede on for some height then as the big defenders are getting tired of chasing miller an earnie stick mason on to tear strips off them and not forgetting the beast he is big enough to hold there coats whilst there real boys are playing.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:24 pm

Would work in a 4-3-3 mason or gestede with them.