Parma - As I saw our team...

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:26 am

We set up as follows:

Mcnaughton-----Hudson------Gerrard------Taylor

---------------------Whitts---------------------------

Cowie---------------------------------------Conway

---------------------Mason--------------------------

-------------Earnie------------Gestede------------

Defensively we did very well yesterday with McNaughton outstanding again, he had his man in his pocket! Gerrard did well as did Taylor who seems to be developing a good understanding with Conway in front of him. My concern is Hudson, not his ability when facing the ball but when he's turned, he looks slow and super K had to dig him out of a hole on a few occasions. That said I think that this defensive line will be up there with the best in the Division.

One thing that's clear is MM wants Whitts on the ball as much as possible, he picked the ball up from the back four on countless occasions and always sat in front of the them when we lost the ball. I thought he had a great game and his work rate was fantastic, even chasing a ball down in to the area near one of our corners in the 89th minute of a friendly.

Cowie and Conway were the "wide" men with Conway staying out there more often than not. Cowie seemed to have free reign to come inside to help Whitts and provide an additional link. Quite often he would drift right across the field to the other side and MM seems happy to use McNaughton as our wide man when this happens. Cowie was much better yesterday. Conway was a more a traditional wide man, the main difference with him to others we've had in this position is that he seems determined to do his job - get the ball in the box and not turn out and start again as we did so often last year.

Now the man that impressed me the most, Joe Mason. If you take your "under tens" follow the ball glass off and watch what he did to help the team he was fantastic imo. He sat behind the front two and constantly made himself available to receive the ball, I'm guessing he covered more ground than anyone else on the field. There was always an outlet for Whitts, Cowie and Conway, also there to help out with the front two. When he got the ball he seemed a lot stronger, this lad is one to watch but don't look to him to beat five men or score 30 goals, look at his movement for the team. He is a defenders nightmare in that position "who's picking him up" the defenders or the midfielders, Parma struggled to decide.

Up front the French lad who looks a lot like Bothroyd without the bullshit hustled and one a lot in the air, seems like a good prospect time will tell. Earnie was a little wayward with his passing first up but then had one or two great flicks. Miller was finding his feet but he does look quick and a tenacious little shit! Fagan didn't have much time but did look as if he was trying too hard and was a little rusty (good squad player me thinks). Its up front where the most settling needs to be done and partnerships built. Several times the forwards went for the same ball, I guess this is just a matter of time.

All in all we were the better team yesterday, outplaying the Italians for long periods of the game. Marshall had one save to make and there were a few crosses that fizzed across the box, apart from that we looked comfortable.

I'm now more confident for the season ahead and can't wait :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Parma - As I saw our team...

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks, Very helpful post.
Rudy is spookily like Betty isnt he?

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:42 am

BIGBLOO VANE wrote:Thanks, Very helpful post.
Rudy is spookily like Betty isnt he?

He is, he even shuffles across the turf like him. Big difference is that he doesn't spend as much time polishing the turf with his backside.

He also "won" not "one" a lot of balls in the air, should have read it before hitting post!

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:45 am

On the whole. Agree with your excellent appraisal. The one thing I noticed about Joe was that he did look a little lost at times in the first half, but he was asked to play a difficult role for a young player. He also needs to lift his head when he's running with the ball and pick a through ball. All in all though I'm confident we will see him grow into an excellent player this season. I think as a unit we are almost there and I'm far more confident after yesterday for the season ahead.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:48 am

Blueboo wrote:On the whole. Agree with your excellent appraisal. The one thing I noticed about Joe was that he did look a little lost at times in the first half, but he was asked to play a difficult role for a young player. He also needs to lift his head when he's running with the ball and pick a through ball. All in all though I'm confident we will see him grow into an excellent player this season. I think as a unit we are almost there and I'm far more confident after yesterday for the season ahead.

Yes I agree, he'll get better! Add a goal or two and he'll be flying.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:53 am

Nice one butt...sounds really good.

I agree, upfront is where things need to settle. Real promise though - BLUE ARMY!!! :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:55 am

enjoyed yesterday, but still wish they'd play the simple ball sometimes. Its not always the fault of the perosn on the ball, but that not enough are within 10 yrds to pass - too many specualtive balls.

Football has changed over last few years, and is now a game of short passes and possession. Centre backs must stop passing back to keeper, only for keeper to hoof up field - centre back could have done this with possibly more finesse.

I try and teach my 10 yrs old to always be within 10-15 yrds of the ball if he can - he's not the greatest skillwise, but his game and fitness have improved immensely.

We have the makings of a very good team.

Dare I say it on here - we need to play the way Swansea have over last few years

Liked Mason yesterday - think Gerrard needs a bit more time - there again he's had an emotional month or so.

Surprisingly Naylor had a little cameo on left mid

I'm very excited - if we can win 1st game - confidence will be sky high - and then I predict automatic promotion - ooooh big call

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: