Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

PETER WHITTINGHAM

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:04 am

I'm beginning to wonder if we deserve Whitts at our club! Despite the fact he has scored close to 40 goals in two seasons from midfield, stats prove he covers more ground than almost any other player at our club, is rarely injured, and never involved in any off pitch shennanigans, he remains chronically underappreciated!

In the home semi final leg against Reading he was head and shoulders our best player yet McNaughton was awarded man of the match and people on this messageboard were then talking about accepting paltry sums for him and calling him a taxi. Against Celtic and Parma some of the football he has played has been out of this world, top notch premier leage material, but because it all looks so easy for him it barely warrants a mention. Yesterday Whitts was embarassingly a country mile above every other player in our team yet all the talk is about Mason (who was decent to be fair but not on the same level to Whitts!) and others. It still staggers me that Whitts doesnt even have his own song! Malky is obviously building our team around Whitts and this year he will be our most vital player, i hope that we as fans finally get across to him just how much we do think of him because he must wonder what the hell he has to do to get some praise from our fans!

Re: PETER WHITTINGHAM

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:09 am

couldn't agree more !!! but last season i thought he looked average in the centre and better out wide. He looks like a different player already this season and im glad Mackay hasnt parted with him. :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:17 am

Fans at this club get an opinion about players very quickly and its tough to change people's mind:

McPhail, Hudson, Whitts.

Whitts has long been the player with the most ability at the club. But when he scored all those goals and then last season only scored 11 (only :lol: :lol: love to find another team that would be critical of a player getting into double figures from midfield, but Cardiff fans manage it). So many looked at the stats and decided he therefore had a fluke season and was no good.

Those of us with eyes saw just how good he was last season from the middle where I don't believe he was deployed effectively but still was in the top four last season for us (Kev, Bellamy, Whitts, Bothroyd). Thankfully the board made the decision to bring in a manager that players football on the floor and now people can see just how good he is. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:45 am

The basic point of this is that any fan who thinks that Whittingham is average or poor for our team knows nothing about football.

I'm so glad the manager obviously knows a lot about good players.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:50 am

im not saying people who dont agree know nothing about football but im just saying that Whitts definitely does not get the credit or praise he deserves! It seems that Cardiff fans dont put a high value on technically talented players but prefer someone who will dive into tackles all day. Thankfully Malky has obviously appreciated he has a diamond in Whitts and everything is now going through him and we look all the better for it! If we had Bellamy and Bothroyd in this team then we would really be in business!

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:51 am

I totally agree i have spent more time sticking up for this lad on this board than any other subject it is total rubbish what some say about Whits on here at times.

Mcphail & Hudson can not be put in the same topic as they have had bad games and cost us big time by making mistakes that they will admit themselves but Whits does not do a lot wrong except score goals and can be one of the best players in this league

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:56 am

RFMH wrote:Fans at this club get an opinion about players very quickly and its tough to change people's mind:

McPhail, Hudson, Whitts.

Whitts has long been the player with the most ability at the club. But when he scored all those goals and then last season only scored 11 (only :lol: :lol: love to find another team that would be critical of a player getting into double figures from midfield, but Cardiff fans manage it). So many looked at the stats and decided he therefore had a fluke season and was no good.

Those of us with eyes saw just how good he was last season from the middle where I don't believe he was deployed effectively but still was in the top four last season for us (Kev, Bellamy, Whitts, Bothroyd). Thankfully the board made the decision to bring in a manager that players football on the floor and now people can see just how good he is. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

This !

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:00 pm

valleyrambill wrote:I totally agree i have spent more time sticking up for this lad on this board than any other subject it is total rubbish what some say about Whits on here at times.

Mcphail & Hudson can not be put in the same topic as they have had bad games and cost us big time by making mistakes that they will admit themselves but Whits does not do a lot wrong except score goals and can be one of the best players in this league

completely agree mate. Whitts will be one of our shining lights this season and i hope some will be eating humble pie as the criticism he has recieved has been mindblowing at times! When people wanted to ship him out to Forrest for £2m i couldnt believe it. If Whitts was to get injured this season then we will really struggle to replace him as at this level players of his talent really are few and far between!

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:00 pm

What I like about whitts is his loyalty, he signed on the dotted line, whereby the boothroyds and ledleys didnt, for that he deserves a magic hat.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:12 pm

Definately Whitts gets the magic hat, this pre-season he looks like a player with true belief. Crunching tackles, stiffling attackers, chasing lost causes, the Malky endorsment has boosted Whitts confidence, influence and he has paid the backing back with some top class shifts

People need to get behind Whitts, give him the magic hat and really appreciate him.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:55 pm

I've said this all along some of the numptys sayin 1.5m and ill drive him up myself frankly havent got a clue wot they're talkin about i know its all about opinions and all that but u do hav to wonder about some of the people followin our club

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:59 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if we deserve Whitts at our club! Despite the fact he has scored close to 40 goals in two seasons from midfield, stats prove he covers more ground than almost any other player at our club, is rarely injured, and never involved in any off pitch shennanigans, he remains chronically underappreciated!

In the home semi final leg against Reading he was head and shoulders our best player yet McNaughton was awarded man of the match and people on this messageboard were then talking about accepting paltry sums for him and calling him a taxi. Against Celtic and Parma some of the football he has played has been out of this world, top notch premier leage material, but because it all looks so easy for him it barely warrants a mention. Yesterday Whitts was embarassingly a country mile above every other player in our team yet all the talk is about Mason (who was decent to be fair but not on the same level to Whitts!) and others. It still staggers me that Whitts doesnt even have his own song! Malky is obviously building our team around Whitts and this year he will be our most vital player, i hope that we as fans finally get across to him just how much we do think of him because he must wonder what the hell he has to do to get some praise from our fans!

Agree with what you say. Especially the Redaing game Whitts was the best player on the park.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:04 pm

I agree totally whitts has been our stand out performer in midfield for the last two seasons, I think one of the reasons he doesn't get the plaudits he deserves was when he had an off day we rarely won so it stood out more

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:14 pm

A sensible post at last, such a good point whitts doesn't go out on the piss, model pro never does pointless interviews with the echo and just gets on with it. Gets slagged off by the morons who criticise him for having no pace, scored so many goals and creates everything,topman.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:20 pm

cecilccfc wrote:A sensible post at last, such a good point whitts doesn't go out on the piss, model pro never does pointless interviews with the echo and just gets on with it. Gets slagged off by the morons who criticise him for having no pace, scored so many goals and creates everything,topman.

I think you will find that Whitts does indeed go out on the piss and quite often at that :lol: What has that got to do with the post anyway :roll:

Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:27 pm

No one begrudges any player having night out, and I've seen Whitts out on the town, but it's doing it at the right time, not letting it affect your game, and not acting like an idiot when you're out! He's never let himself down off the pitch and behaves like a model pro! If only all our squad were like him last season!

Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:28 pm

Whitts is a class act, best passer of the ball in the club and a player every champ side would love. it seems MM is building his team around him and i think Whitts will get even better. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:44 pm

Absolute bollocks, luxury player. Pussies out of tackles, doesnt challenge for headers, always loses his man. When hes played wide right he constantly drifts inside so we have no width

Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:46 pm

Steve Van Halen wrote:Absolute bollocks, luxury player. Pussies out of tackles, doesnt challenge for headers, always loses his man. When hes played wide right he constantly drifts inside so we have no width

Clearly not watched any pre-season then, the true class act on the field

Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:56 pm

Glad to see people who appreciate whitts coming out and saying cos like u pal I was appalled by how many people were calling him rotten and really making him a scapegoat! For me he is by far our best player this season and the last 3 or 4 so let's hope the numpties who hav been slating him will now realise how good he really is! Well done mm u realised it straight away!

Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Bowmonster wrote:
cecilccfc wrote:A sensible post at last, such a good point whitts doesn't go out on the piss, model pro never does pointless interviews with the echo and just gets on with it. Gets slagged off by the morons who criticise him for having no pace, scored so many goals and creates everything,topman.

I think you will find that Whitts does indeed go out on the piss and quite often at that :lol: What has that got to do with the post anyway :roll:

Well seeing as I go out with him whenever he does think I'd know lad ... Only drinks in Summer and if there are breaks of 2 weeks in between games. Had to do with post as Jimbo said he rarely goes out on the piss ..

Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:11 pm

Steve Van Halen wrote:Absolute bollocks, luxury player. Pussies out of tackles, doesnt challenge for headers, always loses his man. When hes played wide right he constantly drifts inside so we have no width

You're entitled to your opinion but I thank god you're not our manager! Whitts is probably the best passer in the league and certainly one of the most creative! Stats prove he runs more than most and when did he last play wide right??? When he played left mid he scored 25 goals and was the leagues top goalscorer! It's staggering that for a player of such ability he still gets posts like this! If we had Messi some fans would still slag him off!

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:07 pm

Looking a better player so far in the last couple of friendlies, getting stuck in more. Always rated him for the goals he's scored and the assists. best left foot in the league. Whitts will hit double figures this season and will shine big time and put all those doubters to shame.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:09 pm

Come on then....let's write the lyrics for whitts magic hat.....who's gonna start?

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:17 pm

If he puts the effort in he should be playing in the premier league. Theres a good reason why he isnt and I highlighted a few of them. I have heard he has been getting stuck in in pre-season (saving for a wedding, no friendlies for me) and I hope it continues.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:28 pm

Steve Van Halen wrote:If he puts the effort in he should be playing in the premier league. Theres a good reason why he isnt and I highlighted a few of them. I have heard he has been getting stuck in in pre-season (saving for a wedding, no friendlies for me) and I hope it continues.

Getting stuck in?? Not really. But what Whitts ALWAYS does is track back and
get goalside of his man. Thats all he needs to do defensively. Whitts is looking
absolute class under Malky, everyone looks to give him the ball, because he
always shows for it. I agree to an extent, he did drift out of games under Dave
Jones. But he is like a totally different player under Mackay, which to me yet
again underlines just how shite Dave Jones was at man management, motivation
and tactical awareness.

Guess whats going to happen all season... he is going to get targetted, the opposition
are going to try and cut off the supply to him. Harry him, hassle him, knock him
about a bit.

Shame really... Cos Don Cowie was also Watfords playmaker last season, Gunnarsson
is a class passer of the ball and "give us a" Kiss can also ping a ball.

Mackay has put together the best midfield in the division, and before anyone starts
on about us having no width? Perhaps you should have a look at Craig Conway!!!!

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:33 pm

I think Malkay is going with a diamond formation this season and Whits will be deployed behind the front 2 with either Kiss or Gunderson playing the holding role in front of the back 4.

In that position I fully expect him to be devastating both scoring a hatful of goals himself and setting up loads for Earnie and Miller.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:38 pm

Totally agree. Just because hes not a shirt thumper, and is quite a laid back charachter people think he doesnt care, and hes an easy target.

For as long as ive been a City fan this has been the case with the skillful players. Jason Bowen was never truly appreciated because he wasnt a shirt thumper, Gareth Ainsworth couldnt lace his boots yet the crowd loved him just because he went diving about like a mad man.

Jobi Mcanuff another quality player not appreciated just because he didnt fly into challenges, even though that wasnt his role in the team.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:42 pm

[quote="taffyapple"][quote="Steve Van Halen"] But he is like a totally different player under Mackay, which to me yet
and tactical awareness.

quote]

Jones couldnt have been that bad at man management in Whitts case considering he got 40 goals from midfield last two seasons. :?

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:47 pm

polo wrote:
taffyapple wrote:
Steve Van Halen wrote: But he is like a totally different player under Mackay, which to me yet
and tactical awareness.

quote]

Jones couldnt have been that bad at man management in Whitts case considering he got 40 goals from midfield last two seasons. :?

Fair comment. But Whitts disappeared last year didnt he, and looked half the player