Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

LEON JEANNE UPDATE

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:51 am

As news has been a bit slow this week i thought it maybe a good time to do a quick update on Leon Jeanne.

Since Leon left Brighton he has been keeping himself fit and has continued to lose weight. Four football league clubs initially expressed an interest in talking to Leon but for one reason or another all of those talks have now gone cold. This is very disapointing as all Leon was asking for was an opportunity to train, and to prove his fitness. Contact was made with Peter Risdale at Plymouth, and depsite Peter expressing an interest it appears that Peter Reid didnt want to take the matter any further. Cardiff City were also asked if Leon could train with the squad, just to keep fit, but we were told that it would not be possible at this moment in time as they have a lot of work to do in order to get ready for the start of the season.

What has made things frustrating is that Gus Poyet has offered to give Leon an excellent reference in regards to his talent and his attitude. As I outlined in a previous update, Leon did not look out of place at Brighton but his fitness was lacking, and with the club spending millions of pounds on players, Gus could not guarantee Leon a contract when he did get up to full fitness. He felt that as he hadnt played at a pro level for 8 years that he would be better off playing regularly in League One/Two at this time. There was however no question in his mind that Leon could still play at a professional level and he even spoke to Swindon on Leon's behalf!

Leon has not given up his dream of a football league return but has needed to play games to keep fit and sharp. As a result he has been training with Neath most days, and has also played pre season games for Afan Lido against Swansea (twice) and Coventry City. In all of those games Leon has shown flashes of his class, especially last night where he scored a 30 yard free kick, in a 1.1 draw with a Swansea reserve team. There is no doubt that Leon still has the talent, and the pace, but unless he can train everyday in a professional environment he is finding it very difficult to get 100% fit. He has done everything possible to get his weight down, and has lost an enormous amount already, but his experience at Brighton showed him how fit he needed to be!

At this moment in time Leon will continue to play for Afan Lido in order to keep fit whilst he hopes that a football league club will soon give him a chance. If however an opportunity does not present itself then he is toying of the idea of attending MLS trials in America in January where he will have a fresh start.

Leon's troubles, and past have been well documented, and he has a lot of regrets but a lot of the stories bandied around about him are not true. I have no doubt that if a League Two club were to take a gamble on him, and get him fit, that he could still be a very very exciting player at that level. Whilst it may seem hard to believe I also feel that if Cardiff City were to get him fit that he could still do a job for us. Obviously I do not expect this to happen but Leon has a unique talent and at Brigthton he proved he still had something to offer. It has been a very frustrating time as some of the players being offered trials, and getting contracts, at some League clubs are not fit to lace Leon's boots but no one now seems prepared to give him the chance he has worked so hard for!

Re: LEON JEANNE UPDATE

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:57 am

Has he tried Newport or even Merthyr in the English pyramid rather than LoW clubs ?

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:00 am

I know a Torquay fan and they'd love him down there. He should honestly just get a reference from Gus Poyet and send an application to every club in the Football League and Conference.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:02 am

Bring him home Malkay :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:02 am

Hope he gets his chance. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance in life if they have messed up. My advice for what its worth, go to the MLS trials and get himself a fresh start in life. He won't be judged over there. However the only concern to me would be that they may not allow him in the country. I don't know the ins and outs of his personal life but does he have a criminal record? if he does it would be difficult for him to get in the USA. Anyway all the best to him and I hope his dreams come true. :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:03 am

Vintage 63 wrote:Has he tried Newport or even Merthyr in the English pyramid rather than LoW clubs ?

Unfortunately the level that Merthry now play at is well below the Welsh Prem so wouldnt be worthwhile for him at the moment. Newport is a consideration but at this time he is enjoying being with Afan Lido as he knows the manager well. Contact was made with Wrexham, and they were keen, but since all of the financial shennigans up there then everything has gone quiet. Bath City want to sign him again but Leon is not sure if he wants to go back and will wait until the end of the summer before making a decision on signing for conference/LOW clubs.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:04 am

Zabier wrote:I know a Torquay fan and they'd love him down there. He should honestly just get a reference from Gus Poyet and send an application to every club in the Football League and Conference.

unbelievably he has! He would love to go to Torquay but we havent even had a repsonse from them.

I wish the guy the best but he wont make it as a professional again. Go to Merthyr, they would love him there

30 years old, no professional club will take him on.

ihatealiens wrote:Hope he gets his chance. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance in life if they have messed up. My advice for what its worth, go to the MLS trials and get himself a fresh start in life. He won't be judged over there. However the only concern to me would be that they may not allow him in the country. I don't know the ins and outs of his personal life but does he have a criminal record? if he does it would be difficult for him to get in the USA. Anyway all the best to him and I hope his dreams come true. :ayatollah:

weve discussed the pros and cons of this but for the avoidance of doubt Leon does not have a criminal record

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:06 am

Steve Van Halen wrote:I wish the guy the best but he wont make it as a professional again. Go to Merthyr, they would love him there

whilst professional clubs dont appear keen to even have a look at him right now it is a shame for Leon, and for them, as he is still quick, and has skill to burn. A League Two club could pick up a player who could be the best player in that division for absolute peanuts if they took a chance!

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:14 am

Steve Van Halen wrote:I wish the guy the best but he wont make it as a professional again. Go to Merthyr, they would love him there

Merthyr are on the rise and no reason why another promotion this season cant see them knocking on the door of the Conference South again soon ??

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:21 am

Jimbo27 wrote:
Zabier wrote:I know a Torquay fan and they'd love him down there. He should honestly just get a reference from Gus Poyet and send an application to every club in the Football League and Conference.

unbelievably he has! He would love to go to Torquay but we havent even had a repsonse from them.

Going one step further, Simeon Jackson was in a similar position when he came over from Canada. He didn't have much luck so just started turning up to training sessions and asking the manager for a go. Eventually, Rushden and Diamonds gave him a go. To be honest, I'd much rather Leon Jeanne than Simeon Jackson even now so why teams aren't having a gamble is beyond me. No transfer fee, low wages, could even grab him on a pay as you play basis to start and they could have one of the best lower league players on their hands. Yes, he's had his problems but he's been trouble free for years now.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:22 am

Jimbo27 wrote:
ihatealiens wrote:Hope he gets his chance. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance in life if they have messed up. My advice for what its worth, go to the MLS trials and get himself a fresh start in life. He won't be judged over there. However the only concern to me would be that they may not allow him in the country. I don't know the ins and outs of his personal life but does he have a criminal record? if he does it would be difficult for him to get in the USA. Anyway all the best to him and I hope his dreams come true. :ayatollah:

weve discussed the pros and cons of this but for the avoidance of doubt Leon does not have a criminal record

Think he'll do well in the states. Not being funny, but I can imagine him doing well in the MLS and Hollywood making a film about his lifestory.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:38 am

Vintage 63 wrote:

Merthyr are on the rise and no reason why another promotion this season cant see them knocking on the door of the Conference South again soon ??

Merthyr are at Step 5 in Non League which is 4 leagues below the Conference South, It will take a while before they get back to there. Hopefully they can carry on where they left off last year and have another promotion!

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:38 am

Vintage 63 wrote:

Merthyr are a good club, and have a decent set up, but they are well below Welsh prem standard at the moment and Leon needs to be playing as high a standard as possible in order to keep fit and sharp.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:26 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:
Vintage 63 wrote:

Merthyr are a good club, and have a decent set up, but they are well below Welsh prem standard at the moment and Leon needs to be playing as high a standard as possible in order to keep fit and sharp.

having watched Merthyr @ Taffs Well last season the standard was below the Welsh League 1st Division, Newport Co would be the better option for him

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:29 pm

So why hasnt he been playing for a Welsh premier side in recent years then? Why doesnt he sign for one now?

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Best of luck to him :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:59 pm

Steve Van Halen wrote:So why hasnt he been playing for a Welsh premier side in recent years then? Why doesnt he sign for one now?

he basically has the pick of welsh prem sides at the moment and has been inundated by offers from them but unfortunately the harsh reality is that football league clubs very rarely take notice of any players from that level, even if you are playing well week in and week out. If he doenst get an offer from a football league club then I would expect him to play Welsh Prem until January when he will then probably give the MLS a crack.

As for why leon hadnt played at that level for a few years he basically had fallen out of love with the game and was just going from club to club, helping out mates who asked him to play, or wanting to play with his friends. The fact his weight also ballooned also didnt help.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:41 pm

i admire him for having the determination to try again the biggest problem he ll have is when clubs see his age and his past drug problems will raise a few eyes brows,but with a few footballers been done for murder,rape and numerous other offences there is no reason if he keeps up the hard work why a league club wont take a punt with him,if he plays well for what ever non league side he ends up with there will always be a chance to progress :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:43 pm

Dont the MLS have open trials? Surely that would be his best option

Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:45 pm

Also I have heard that Newport has a football club that is close to the football league?

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:

We? Sorry to be rude but are you his agent? :? :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:19 am

Watched him yesterday for the Lido. Tormented their right back. He missed a pen but apart from that he played really well and Lido should of won by 4 goals but "would have, should have" don't win games.

One thing I would say though, he needs to be more aggressive, especially in this league,both with the opposition and his own team mates. The Lido right winger took a free kick in the first 20 Min's which was in an ideal place for Leon. Leon should of stood his ground and told him to f@ck off but then again I suppose he's still the new fella there and still finding his feet.

Definitely look forward to watching more of him this year. Think Lido got Neath in a fortnight. Hope he takes the piss out of Trundle.