Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What is your Team/Formation for West Ham?

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:00 am

What does everyone think Malky will opt for? I dont think its as cut and dry as some people are suggesting...especially in midfield.

During pre-season Malky has deployed 3 different players in the quarterback role sitting in front of a flat back 4 i.e Whitts, Kiss & Gunnarsson. He's played various different players on the flanks, ad obviously upfront. However I do believe when everyones fit the back four/five picks itself.

Formation has been another area where I think in attack Malky has tried virtually everything imaginable.

I think we'll start as a 4-5-1...evolving as the game proceeds to 4-3-3 or simply 4-4-2 depending on personnel. If we start as 4-5-1, pre-season would suggest the most attacking player out of the 5 in midfield will sit at the head of the midfield just behind the front man linking up play - or considering Millers versality Malky could place him in a wider role as the game kicks off.

Whatever Malky opts for it will certainly be interesting viewing for us to have variation in our play and set up, considering there was a stapled approach of 4-4-2 under DJ. Heres how I think we will go grom the start:

Formation: 4-5-1

1.) Marshall
2.) Mcnaughton
3.) Taylor
4.) Gerrard
5.) Hudson (Capt)
6.) Cowie
7.) Whitts
8.) Gunnarsson
9.) Miller
10.) Mason
11.) Conway

Whitts and Gunnarsson will IMO form the Central midfield partnership, and I think to start the season Earnie will be on the bench away from home as Malky will opt for Mason to sit in front of Gunnarsson and Whitts primarily to link up play, but to also help press further up the pitch when we haven't got the ball.his energy in that role would be perfect. (I know the squad number aren't right btw).

Whatever we go with I think we've got a really good chance, but it will be tough :ayatollah:

Re: What is your Team/Formation for West Ham?

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:02 am

Agree with that ....... Ive not seen Gestede play yet , so what type of player is he and what role do you see him doing and in which format ?

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:18 am

Vintage 63 wrote:Agree with that ....... Ive not seen Gestede play yet , so what type of player is he and what role do you see him doing and in which format ?

Good question. I can only see Gestede playing an impact role from the bench as the situation currently is. And when he is used it will be in more of a standard 4-4-2 with Miller, Earnie or possibly Bellamy next to him.

Its difficult to second guess Malky at the moment though, we'll probably be a good few games in before we are familiar with his style and approach

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:21 am

JonScam wrote:
Vintage 63 wrote:Agree with that ....... Ive not seen Gestede play yet , so what type of player is he and what role do you see him doing and in which format ?

Good question. I can only see Gestede playing an impact role from the bench as the situation currently is. And when he is used it will be in more of a standard 4-4-2 with Miller, Earnie or possibly Bellamy next to him.

Its difficult to second guess Malky at the moment though, we'll probably be a good few games in before we are familiar with his style and approach[/quote

Malkay has a lot of options and formations possible withthe players.

a rigid 442 and gestede, targetman, will get a lot of playing time, or he could play 4222 two holding mids and two wide but pushed up

its exciting i know that

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:02 am

jezzy666 wrote:
JonScam wrote:

Its difficult to second guess Malky at the moment though, we'll probably be a good few games in before we are familiar with his style and approach[/quote

Malkay has a lot of options and formations possible withthe players.

a rigid 442 and gestede, targetman, will get a lot of playing time, or he could play 4222 two holding mids and two wide but pushed up

its exciting i know that

Defo exciting :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:08 am

Im not 100% convinced about Whitts in centre midfield though ..... Gunarrsson looks good for me there plus Kiss could be the find of the season , thought Cowie was more of a centre player too ? Ramsey back on loan would be a great move BUT very very unlikely .

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:15 am

Vintage 63 wrote:Im not 100% convinced about Whitts in centre midfield though ..... Gunarrsson looks good for me there plus Kiss could be the find of the season , thought Cowie was more of a centre player too ? Ramsey back on loan would be a great move BUT very very unlikely .

I think we can forget about Rambo mate, he'll be starting for Arsenal this season. I agree with you about Whitts though, I'd have him out wide and leave Conway and Cowie to battle it out for the remaining position on the flanks - I'd defo want to see more of Kiss and I think he will play himself into it at some stage judging by what we've seen in pre-season.

Main thing is theres options and flexibility there this season, could be all important factor in a long season - coupled with the enthusiasm a young quality manager like Malky will drive through :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:22 am

Id still like a more mobile centre half too as I just dont like Hudson and Gerrard side by side ...... Keinen is too lightweight and Mc Naughton just has to be the best full back outside the Prem League surely ?

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:10 am

Vintage 63 wrote:Id still like a more mobile centre half too as I just dont like Hudson and Gerrard side by side ...... Keinen is too lightweight and Mc Naughton just has to be the best full back outside the Prem League surely ?

Kev's certainly up there with the best, so solid for us.

Its funny you mention that about Hudson & Gerrard. Whenever they played together under DJ it never quite worked, Gerrard was quality towards the end of the Play off final season when he paired up with Blake.

I think it'll be different this time around under Malky though. Both have improved since they last played together, and Malky may well get a more effective degree of coordination at the back than the previous manager did - only time will tell.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 am

Malky will most likely play like 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, my guess would be:
Code:
         Miller
Whitts             Conway
    Kiss   Gunnarson
Taylor Keinan Hudson McNaughton

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:24 am

quadsas wrote:Malky will most likely play like 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, my guess would be:
Code:
         Miller
    Kiss   Gunnarson

Defo a possibility, although I think Gerrard will start

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:27 am

JonScam wrote:
quadsas wrote:Malky will most likely play like 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, my guess would be:
Code:
         Miller
    Kiss   Gunnarson

Defo a possibility, although I think Gerrard will start

well it's either Keinan or Gerrard, I'm fairly sure Hudson is safe for now.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:02 am

Code:
         Miller
    Kiss   Gunnarson

That's a team I wouldn't mind seeing. Kiss could be a big player this season. Conway is going to be pure class as well. I'd probably start with Cowie against West Ham instead of Kiss mind but bring Kiss on. I'd also choose Gerrard over Keinan.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:49 am

Earnie and Miller up front
Whitts Cowie Gummarson Conway
Taylor Hudson Gerrard Kev

We do not need a big man as we are going to play like Barcelona

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:56 am

4-3-3

Marshall

McNaughton
Hudosn
Gerrad
Taylor

Cowie
Whitts
Conway

Miller
Mason
Earnshaw

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:12 am

Zabier wrote:
Code:
         Miller
    Kiss   Gunnarson

That's a team I wouldn't mind seeing. Kiss could be a big player this season. Conway is going to be pure class as well. I'd probably start with Cowie against West Ham instead of Kiss mind but bring Kiss on. I'd also choose Gerrard over Keinan.

West ham will like it as well....that's only 9 players :lol:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:23 am

fingers88 wrote:
Zabier wrote:
Code:
         Miller
    Kiss   Gunnarson

hmmmm... it is lol

Code:
           Miller
Whitts     Cowie      Conway
       Kiss Gunnarson
         Marshall

then :lol: Kiss as box2box and Gunnarson as anchorman

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:02 pm

My team if I was MM
________________Marshall_______________
_Kev_____Hudson______Gerrard_____Taylor
______________Gunnarsson______________
_________Cowie__________Whitts________
_____Miller_____Earnshaw_____Conway____

West Ham likely team
_________________Cole________________
________________Nolan________________
Taylor_____Parker______Noble_____Barrera
Ilunga_____Tomkins_____Faye_____O'Brien
________________Green________________

I'd go for it if I was MM looking at their defence, only pace there is in Ilunga and with Miller being a work horse up against him hopefully he'll be knackered by the second half :lol:

Although their defence is slow they are good in the air and I can't see us winning a header up top, so if I was MM the most important thing to tell the whole team is to keep the ball on the floor.

With the pace we have upfront I think Cowie and Whitts could have a field day playing through balls IF they find space and that's not going to be easy when they're up against Parker and Noble, so I think if Cowie and Whitts play well we've got a big chance of getting something out of the game.

I think Kev can keep Taylor quiet on the left but our Taylor has a tough task in keeping Barrera quiet, I haven't seen much of Taylor defensively but I don't think he can afford to come forward as we can easily get caught out from Barrera's pace.

Gunnarsson probably has the toughest task in keeping Nolan quiet, I think he has to sit back and act as a third centre half while keeping a close eye and tracking Nolan's every move, which hopefully he can do, whoever wins this battle could decide which team wins the game.

Hopefully everyone stays fit, Come on Cardiff! :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:07 pm

I honestly can't see Earnie starting next game, unless Malky will go for some daft 4-1-2-1-2 or similar formation. Also, you put Miller as wing forward, he can't play there for sure.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:19 pm

quadsas wrote:
fingers88 wrote:
Zabier wrote:
Code:
         Miller
    Kiss   Gunnarson

hmmmm... it is lol

Code:
           Miller
Whitts     Cowie      Conway
       Kiss Gunnarson
         Marshall

then :lol: Kiss as box2box and Gunnarson as anchorman

:lol: That would def be my team as well. I think Cowie would be dangerous behind Miller and conway can move to the left and whitts go inside with Cowie covering the right etc...the movement could cause them problems and we can stifle their midfield and hit on the counter. I agree that Earnie & Mason should be used off the bench

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:25 pm

quadsas wrote:I honestly can't see Earnie starting next game, unless Malky will go for some daft 4-1-2-1-2 or similar formation. Also, you put Miller as wing forward, he can't play there for sure.

Looking at their defence I'd definitely start Earnie, up against a young Tomkins, Earnie will use his experience to beat him every time. Kenny actually played on the right for Wolves but no I agree I wouldn't want him wide, maybe when we're attacking Cowie can come on the right side and when defending he comes back inside.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:28 pm

Bluebird1993 wrote:
quadsas wrote:I honestly can't see Earnie starting next game, unless Malky will go for some daft 4-1-2-1-2 or similar formation. Also, you put Miller as wing forward, he can't play there for sure.

Looking at their defence I'd definitely start Earnie, up against a young Tomkins, Earnie will use his experience to beat him every time. Kenny actually played on the right for Wolves but no I agree I wouldn't want him wide, maybe when we're attacking Cowie can come on the right side and when defending he comes back inside.

Miller is also very experienced, and I'd say he is better than Earnie.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:32 pm

4-1-3-2

___________Marshall__________

Kev___Hudson___Gerrard__Taylor

__________Gunnarson_________

Cowie______ Witts_______Conway

______Earnie_______Miller_____

Subs
Heaton
Keinan
Kiss
Mason
Gestede

Pretty decent looking outfitt ide say. Malky has done fantastic in bringing all these players in. maybe 1 or 2 more and our squad will be ready 4 the season. Cant wait now :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:37 pm

the other option this season would see the full backs pushing on and playing a 3-5-2, great to see that we have two first choice full backs capable of doing this. Would imagine this may be a formation for home games against "weaker" sides (if there are any). As far as the side for west ham goes I think Malkay may decide to go for a more cautious approach after all with Nolan and Parker in the heart of their midfield I feel that is where their strength is. Great to be able to talk about options as we all knew we'd only ever get 4-4-2 last season.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:40 pm

pontlliwblue wrote:the other option this season would see the full backs pushing on and playing a 3-5-2, great to see that we have two first choice full backs capable of doing this. Would imagine this may be a formation for home games against "weaker" sides (if there are any). As far as the side for west ham goes I think Malkay may decide to go for a more cautious approach after all with Nolan and Parker in the heart of their midfield I feel that is where their strength is. Great to be able to talk about options as we all knew we'd only ever get 4-4-2 last season.

playing with 3 defenders these days is way, way to risky and we should never try that.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:43 pm

surely its only risky if your "full backs" arn't fit enough to do the leg work to defend when needed.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:59 pm

___________Marshall_____________

Kev_____Hudson____Gerrard_____Taylor

_______Gunarrson _____ Kiss__________

Cowie_________Whitts __________ Conway

______________Miller__________________

Subs:
Heaton
Keinan
Mason
Earnie
Gestede

I think Malky will set up to keep it tight and press high up the pitch. I fancy us to get something.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:05 pm

So how good is kiss actually then lads? I've only heard positive feedback on him anyone reckon we've found a gem?

Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Daniel_PT_blues wrote:So how good is kiss actually then lads? I've only heard positive feedback on him anyone reckon we've found a gem?

It certainly appear that way considering the reviews hes had since being at the club and the regard Bratislava hold him in :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:28 pm

hope we can sign kiss permanantly soon ,before he proves how good he is, :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: or we might not be able to afford him