Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Hudson apologises for relationship with fans

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:20 am

From the Echo...also covers off a few of Malky's comments etc:

Cardiff City captain Mark Hudson has apologised to fans during a meeting at Rhydyfelin Non-Political Club.

Hudson, asked about a gap between players and fans last season, said: “If that was the perception, I apologise. That was never the intention and we will ensure nobody feels that way again.

“Our fans are the heartbeat of Cardiff City and we will always acknowledge them, home and away. I promise we will, as a team, go over to the away section at away games throughout this season and make sure we say thanks at home games.”

Hudson attended a meeting of around 250 supporters along with manager Malky Mackay, assistant David Kerslake, first-team coach Joe McBride, chief executive Gethin Jenkins, Hudson and striker Robert Earnshaw.

Mackay, too, understands the bond fans want with the players and said: “We will be going over, players and staff, and doing the ayatollah. I will always do that when the supporters ask, although I hope not too many times at crucial times during matches.”

City manager Mackay has signed nine new players for the new Championship season, which starts with a visit to West Ham United on Sunday, and made it clear: “We haven’t finished yet.”

Mackay would not go into his thoughts on Craig Bellamy, saying: “He is a Manchester City player. I hate it if other managers talk about my players and I won’t do that.”

Cardiff are still working to bring in two or three players and Mackay said during a meeting which lasted almost two hours he would be looking to see if the right loan players are available either before the transfer window ends on September 1 or when the loan transfer spell opens after.

“There is a place for loan players, but not too many,” said Mackay.

Earnshaw, signed on a free transfer from Nottingham Forest, said he was certain it was the right move for him to come home to South Wales.

Re: Hudson apologises for relationship with fans

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:22 am

all positive :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:25 am

CF14-SE14 wrote:all positive :ayatollah:

All rosey at the moment mate init :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:32 am

I have the upmost respect for Mark Hudson.

He has to be applauded for the way he performed last season having been the target of the boo-boys in his first season.

Shows good charachter. A lot of modern day footballers would have hidden away, or sought a move elsewhere.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:47 am

its on player guys :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:53 am

polo wrote:I have the upmost respect for Mark Hudson.

He has to be applauded for the way he performed last season having been the target of the boo-boys in his first season.

Shows good charachter. A lot of modern day footballers would have hidden away, or sought a move elsewhere.

I feel we have a number of players who have gone down the Hudson route since arriving at the club. Players that have not won the fans over but have never reacted against them. Players like Naylor and Taiwo who have had awful times on the pitch and the fans have made this known. Neither of them have stuck their 2 fingers up at us fans and in my mind that is a strong character. It is players like this I hope will pull through the difficult time they are having.

Funny really but the player that sticks out for having a go at the fans over the last few years is Roger Johnson. I recall him facing the fans after we lost as in telling us to wind your necks in. Then next thing he is in front of the cameras praising the fans. He use to get under my skin but got away with any abuse from me because simple he was our best defender. I just wonder if the guy has had to use the sam etactics at Birmingham since leaving us. I doubt it.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:00 am

Hudson was always one of the players who used to applaud us after games anyway! I get the feeling Mackay has had a word with the lads and urged them to start talking and acting more positively with the fans. I agree about Hudson, I hope he has another good season because he deserved it. I feel we should all back Naylor now as well. Maybe a bit of support will get him playing better. He will make mistakes so let's not boo him or groan if he makes one. Stay positive and behind them, even if the first 3-4 months aren't great. :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:08 am

Definately one of our best defenders last year with Kev, stuck his body on the line so much and was a complete different player to the season before ... We got a good captain in him (if bellamy don't sign)

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:17 am

math_robz878 wrote:Definately one of our best defenders last year with Kev, stuck his body on the line so much and was a complete different player to the season before ... We got a good captain in him (if bellamy don't sign)

Apart from the last month or so Super Kev was awful last season

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:17 am

It was myself who asked Hudson that question last night; what i said was that there was a perception amongst supporters that last season there seemed to be a gap between players and supporters and this was illustrated by players failing to acknowledge the fans at away games (although to be fair Hudson was one of the players who always clapped the fans) i also asked asked if that would change this season and and asked Malky if a bond between Manager, Players and Supporters was important because i felt it was.

To Hudsons credit he apologised on behalf of the players if the fans believed there was not a bond between players and fans last season and he said the players certainly valued our support but accepted there were times when perhaps they had not come over to acknowledge the fans but as he explained many times players are disappointed with the result or their performance and just want to get off the field.

Malky stated that the fans were tremendously important and that his teams always appreciated and acknowledged the supporters both home and away also explained that he had been taught the :ayatollah: but said don't call for him to do it when the opposition are attacking our goal :D

I am sure from the comments and the general tone of the evening we will see every player giving 100% from the first to the last minute of every game and also the bond between players and fans will be much closer this season resulting in a much better atmosphere at the CCS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:37 pm

briiliant as a fan who went to most away games last year i found it disheartening when the players fucked off down the tunnel without saying a thankyou will be good to see this season :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:24 pm

Did he give a reason why it wasn't done though?

Surely they should do it because they want to show thanks not because they now have to.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:22 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Did he give a reason why it wasn't done though?
Surely they should do it because they want to show thanks not because they now have to.

Hudson said that he wasn't aware that the players didn't acknowledge the fans and has i said earlier to be fair Hudson was one of the few players who did applaud the fans but he did say there are times when the players were disappointed with the result or their performance and just wanted to get off the pitch. I think has Captain and with Malky in charge every player will be made aware of the importance of thanking our away support and i think the bond between fans and players which at times seemed quite distant last season will be a lot closer this season and as a result our atmosphere will improve.

I honestly believe the close bond between players and fans is what got Norwich all those late goals and extra points which got them promoted last season.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:23 pm

blueheaven wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Did he give a reason why it wasn't done though?

Hudson said that he wasn't aware that the players didn't acknowledge the fans and has i said earlier to be fair Hudson was one of the few players who did applaud the fans but he did say there are times when the players were disappointed with the result or their performance and just wanted to get off the pitch. I think has Captain and with Malky in charge every player will be made aware of the importance of thanking our away support and i think the bond between fans and players which at times seemed quite distant last season will be a lot closer this season and as a result our atmosphere will improve.

I honestly believe the close bond between players and fans is what got Norwich all those late goals and extra points which got them promoted last season.

fair enough, not sure how he couldnt realise to be honest.
Personally it makes no difference to me if they do or not but to some it matter so hope they do

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:40 pm

I think he was better last year because he didn't have the pressure of being a captain.