Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Malky: Highest Standards Will Be Set At Cardiff City

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:10 am

From the Echo:

The Bluebirds were rocked by rumours of pre-match drinking involving some players last season and Mackay was asked about those during a meeting with fans.

“I know the background to what you are talking about, but from day one I have taken over a group of guys who have not caused one minute’s trouble,” said manager Mackay.

“It’s how you set the culture.

“I can only speak from my own experience, plus that of my staff, and we have set a culture for players who want to work hard, want to be together and want success.

“We went to Spain as a squad and those trips can sometimes be a test.

“Sometimes that’s when you find players might sneak out, but every player was totally professional.

“They did everything asked of them and have done that every step of the way since we came together.”

Mackay has brought in nine new signings since he took charge in mid-June and is still intent on adding two or three more players to improve strength in depth.

Their first Championship match of the new season is at West Ham on Sunday (1pm) and 1,000 Bluebirds fans will follow their team to Upton Park.

“We have one or two niggles in the squad and we will check those out before we go to West Ham,” said Mackay.

Craig Bellamy, pictured, unsettled at Manchester City, is still being linked with a move to Cardiff City, but Mackay maintained his silence on the subject.

“I’ve known Craig for a long time since we played together at Norwich City, but he is a Manchester City player,” said Mackay.

“He is their player.

“I don’t like people talking about my players.

“Until his Manchester City position is sorted out there is nothing to say.”