Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

West Ham win: Don't underestimate its importance

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:01 am

Yesterdays win held vital importance, not only because of the fact its got us off to a great start, but due to the secondary opportunities it presents Malky and how he can use it leading on.

Malky is now able to utilise the result as a yardstick throughout the season of what can be achieved, and can be used as an effective reference point to highlight exactly what we did well and what can be improved upon, but in a postitive manner.

The players will have acquired a sizeable portion of confidence from the win, in addition to having a greater degree of trust in not only each other, but in Malky's methods. The all important first impressions, first competitive excercise, first test of doubts anyone in the squad or its management may have had prior to kick off yesterday will now have been put to one side (to a large extent) en masse.

It would also be foolish to disregard the timing and exposure of the result also. I acknowledged the trust factor the win will have provoked within the squad/management, however what it will also positively impact is our potential transfer targets. Those players which we have our eye on will have more than likely watched the game live on national tv and would have certainly got a great impression from what Malky is trying to achieve at our club.

The team achieved yesterday and manufactured three points from what the majority of those involved with football deem to be the Championships toughest task this year. Malky now has great platform from which to build a successful season and I believe he will :ayatollah:

Re: West Ham win: Don't underestimate its importance

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:04 am

Good post and agree!

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:20 am

Logie wrote:Good post and agree!

:ayatollah:

Exciting times ahead I think mate..

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:38 pm

JonScam wrote:

deffo :ayatollah:
the squad is far better than last season, if we can beat west ham away, we can beat any one in this division :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:51 pm

samdm94 wrote:
JonScam wrote:

deffo :ayatollah:
the squad is far better than last season, if we can beat west ham away, we can beat any one in this division :ayatollah:

I agree...I'm 100% sure now that Malky and his staff won't let the positives a start like yesterday was slip them by :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:15 pm

JonScam wrote:Yesterdays win held vital importance, not only because of the fact its got us off to a great start, but due to the secondary opportunities it presents Malky and how he can use it leading on.

Malky is now able to utilise the result as a yardstick throughout the season of what can be achieved, and can be used as an effective reference point to highlight exactly what we did well and what can be improved upon, but in a postitive manner.

The players will have acquired a sizeable portion of confidence from the win, in addition to having a greater degree of trust in not only each other, but in Malky's methods. The all important first impressions, first competitive excercise, first test of doubts anyone in the squad or its management may have had prior to kick off yesterday will now have been put to one side (to a large extent) en masse.

It would also be foolish to disregard the timing and exposure of the result also. I acknowledged the trust factor the win will have provoked within the squad/management, however what it will also positively impact is our potential transfer targets. Those players which we have our eye on will have more than likely watched the game live on national tv and would have certainly got a great impression from what Malky is trying to achieve at our club.

The team achieved yesterday and manufactured three points from what the majority of those involved with football deem to be the Championships toughest task this year. Malky now has great platform from which to build a successful season and I believe he will :ayatollah:

Fantastic Post with nicely balanced optimism without getting carried away! :old:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:15 pm

JonScam wrote:Yesterdays win held vital importance, not only because of the fact its got us off to a great start, but due to the secondary opportunities it presents Malky and how he can use it leading on.

Great post. If we can all stay this positive, who knows what we can achieve? Dave Jones was more positive (and happy) yesterday than I've seen him in a long time, so leaving CCFC was obviously good for him - and us.

I'm really impressed with Malky so far and we all know we've got a long way to go, but that was a fantastic start.

I'm looking forward to watching our club this season and I haven't felt this optimistic for a while. A cloud seems to have lifted and after 35 years of watching the City, I feel like I did years ago. I jumped around the pub like a loony yesterday when we scored and gave the finger to the plastics and the Jacks behind us, who looked like they were going to cry! Lovely day and a week off now to celebrate before we beat the Wurzels on Sunday.

:)

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Win against arguably strongest squad in the division, and away from home is obviously a huge confident boost to the fans, players and staff, but we shouldn't dwell on it, we were really good at the start of last season too.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:45 pm

quadsas wrote:Win against arguably strongest squad in the division, and away from home is obviously a huge confident boost to the fans, players and staff, but we shouldn't dwell on it, we were really good at the start of last season too.

I'll dwell on it until Sunday and no longer - I promise!

:lol:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Excellent post.
Doomsayers will compare our start to last year, but there are fundemental improvements in squad strength and solid foundations for longer term growth that werent there last year and will stand us in good stead when pressure mounts.
A very solid start with lots of reasons to be optimistic.
There is still much to do before we can be considered a Championship contender but the early signs are positive. Malkay had very little to build on in terms of squad when he arrived but they played as a team yesterday and I rarely felt that last year..... :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Talking of dwelling on something, lets not dwell on being pessimistic or negative about our team.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:48 pm

griff105 wrote:Excellent post.
Doomsayers will compare our start to last year, but there are fundemental improvements in squad strength and solid foundations for longer term growth that werent there last year and will stand us in good stead when pressure mounts.
A very solid start with lots of reasons to be optimistic.
There is still much to do before we can be considered a Championship contender but the early signs are positive. Malkay had very little to build on in terms of squad when he arrived but they played as a team yesterday and I rarely felt that last year..... :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:55 pm

A very interesting & good post. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:59 pm

Great post!
Good to have something to shout about after heads dropped last season,not many teams will take 3 points against the hammers in their own back yard so plenty of reason to be optimistic but feet firmly on the ground.Every player gave it a good crack and MALKY outshone BIG SAM in the barking orders dept,totally agree we were in the shop window yesterday and didn't harm our chances of attracting new players. :ayatollah:

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_9570861

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_9572195

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:15 pm

Good post Chief and thought provoking :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Eight players made their debuts for us yesterday. the friendlies dont
really count except for helping with match fitness. We did look disjointed
but who wouldnt? :lol: But there was a determination out there yesterday.
A will to win that stopped the team from buckling under pressure from some
very good players.

Great original post. Not getting carried away. But I feel there is much more to
come from this group of players and whoever else he brings in. We didnt play
well yesterday - and still beat the 'favourites' to go up!

Another point..

I didnt once get that feeling of inevitability yesterday, that West Ham were BOUND
to score at any minute, and that the floodgates would open! I had faith in that
line-up :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:02 pm

I was so proud to be at upton park yesterday to celebrate with our boys! Never felt so close to the team. An unbelievable feeling and a well grinded out display. Stuck to our game plan and played for each other. :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Great post mate, loving all this positivity !!!

Very true it won over the doubting fans too, when very negative fans tried to slag off players they were shot down in flames, yesterdays result was a very positive boost for everyone fans and media included. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am

original post was great - good to see some refreshing positivity and i agree completely.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Yeah i was up there and the teasm worked hard for each other you could see the players and fans were giving it their all :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:27 am

We have all had a few days to contemplate it all now.

After spending an hour in the WHU supporters bar with my mates I was rather worried about the game and what damage it could do to us. The way my mates were going on about all the internationals they had and how buzzing they were to get this season underway my thought were well lets get this game out of the way. I walked to the away section expecting us to be undone everywhere.

As the game went on and we prevented them scoring I begged for the full time minutes to approach. The closer we got to the 90 minutes the more I feared we would let a goal in. It was that sort of game and I prayed that we would hang on. As we came up to the end of the game I was feeling that we really deserved the point.

It was more in hope I felt when Rudy won that ball over to our left that we would score. I mean this sort of thing only happens in fairytales. When the ball went in the net it has taken me up to this time, like 4 days, to come down and really come to terms with it all. We work hard for our point, the draw, but like most things when you do work hard you sometimes get a prize at the end and we got ours.