Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Independent Wales would be 39% richer,

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:16 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14370050

Re: Independent Wales would be 39% richer,

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:32 pm

If you believe that,you'll believe anything.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:49 pm

The MP who made these claims used to represent my constituency, don't listen to the homo ;) . In all honestly, I think he was looking at the chart upside down :lol:

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Former MP trying to get back into politics makes an outlandish claim, I think we can take this with a large pinch of salt :)

You could probably guess it would have been a Plaid MP/ex MP making those claims without even reading the article. I liked the way it mentioned small economies doing well in the EU before admitting that Ireland and Icelands economies have recently collapsed! I wonder what we would have exported over the last 20 years make ourselves 39% richer?

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:26 pm

Total Crap

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:17 am

Is there any proof of this or is it pro 'republic of Wales' propaganda?

I find it confusing that these pro-welsh types do not wish to be part of the United Kingdom but are happy to surrender to Brussels, their law making and their FAILED currency......

Could somebody explain? (Genuine question) :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:14 pm

01443casual wrote:Is there any proof of this or is it pro 'republic of Wales' propaganda?

I find it confusing that these pro-welsh types do not wish to be part of the United Kingdom but are happy to surrender to Brussels, their law making and their FAILED currency......

Again a very good point

When i was younger I thought "f**k it".."lets have Brussels as pals instead of the English"

That would have been a disaster, we could be as skint as Ireland now.

Id happily stay as part of a 'united kingdom'... but not as a lapdog taking handouts from London

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:23 pm

taffyapple wrote:
01443casual wrote:Is there any proof of this or is it pro 'republic of Wales' propaganda?

Again a very good point

When i was younger I thought "f**k it".."lets have Brussels as pals instead of the English"

That would have been a disaster, we could be as skint as Ireland now.

Id happily stay as part of a 'united kingdom'... but not as a lapdog taking handouts from London

I agree. I feel the only issue is, we're either part of the United Kingdom or we're not. If Cardiff (I use Cardiff as that is where our government is/would be) had complete law making powers, full control of taxation etc. etc. Where would we stand on other issues, such as defence? Do we stay attached to the British Army or do we break away and have an army of our own. If we break away - is it sustainable? Could we defend ourselves in an attack (highly unlikely but possible)? If the British Army defends us or if we are part of a United Kingdom Army then how would we divide the costs between the four nations? Who makes the rules? There are so many questions that people who 'hate England' do not think about when making rash statements.......I dont think Wales will ever be independent - so I'm pointlessly typing :lol:

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:25 pm

You've only got to drive around the roads of Ireland to realise we are better of as part of the UK