Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Welsh Independence and Football

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:31 pm

There seems to be a lot written here today regarding Welsh independence and many arguments for and against. Forgetting politics, finance or whether we could survive as a stand alone nation, look at it from a football perspective.

If Wales became Independent from England/UK what does this mean for Cardiff City? Does this mean we have to play in the League of Wales? I for one do not want this and wish to see Cardiff City in the Premier League.....

What are your thoughts on this :ayatollah:

Re: Welsh Independence and Football

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:47 pm

Good question, and very difficult to see how city could stay in the English league system if Wales was independent.
Not that we would be independent as we would be completely ruled by the EU. Forced to adopt the € and the hot air centre in Cardiff Bay ( poor attempt at Welsh government) would have less power than they currently have.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:48 pm

i highly doubt it as other teams in europe play in different countries :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:15 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:i highly doubt it as other teams in europe play in different countries :ayatollah:

Ok, taken on board. So I suppose moving on from this, How do pro-independents feel about playing in the English league system? Is it acceptable to play in a system run by the English FA or (hopefully) the English Premier League but not be governed by Westminster? If so, isn't that slightly hypocritical and a case of 'doing what suits'?

:ayatollah:

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:07 pm

01443casual wrote:
bluebird7291 wrote:i highly doubt it as other teams in europe play in different countries :ayatollah:

Ok, taken on board. So I suppose moving on from this, How do pro-independents feel about playing in the English league system? Is it acceptable to play in a system run by the English FA or (hopefully) the English Premier League but not be governed by Westminster? If so, isn't that slightly hypocritical and a case of 'doing what suits'?

Very good point!

Im a nationalist at heart. Not cos i hate the English or the country, i dont, they're fine!
I just believe in people standing on their own two feet. I believe Wales can. Its not
ANTI-English to say, thanks, but we'll run our own lives now. Cos we'd STILL be a part
of 'Britain'... its where we live... We'd still interact with English, Scottish, Irish businesses
and stuff... so why not football??... We arent going to turn round and say English people
cant work in Wales, or expel English businesses, and nor would they vice-versa.

Thats my view anyways :?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:32 pm

taffyapple wrote:
01443casual wrote:

Very good point!

Im a nationalist at heart. Not cos i hate the English or the country, i dont, they're fine!
I just believe in people standing on their own two feet. I believe Wales can. Its not
ANTI-English to say, thanks, but we'll run our own lives now. Cos we'd STILL be a part
of 'Britain'... its where we live... We'd still interact with English, Scottish, Irish businesses
and stuff... so why not football??... We arent going to turn round and say English people
cant work in Wales, or expel English businesses, and nor would they vice-versa.

Thats my view anyways :?

I can't argue with that - On reflection, that as a selfish football fan who wants the best for their club is what I would want to happen should we ever be independent. I wanted the 'hate Britain brigade' to give their views........ :D