Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Woeful Wales yet again

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:30 am

Wales v Australia, the game that initially held a fair amount of promise considering the near to full strength squad Speed had to select from, and the calibre of opposition in waiting.

It was the first time the two countries met, and to mark the occasion Speed had conducted some good off the field work - fixing strong communication lines with our top bracket players and their managers to cement their attendance and build a real platform of stability for the future, something not seen as a Welsh supporter for years. The early signs in the build up encouraging, players in the pre-match interviews outlining how professional the Welsh camp is now, and the thought of being able to watch Ramsey link up with the likes of Bellamy, Bale etc was starting to re-ignite everyones enthusiasm.

However, Speed had the small matter of turning around years false dawns and performances out of sync with the talent at our disposal, creating a team with the right mentality; approach; and togetherness for international football. Unfortunately, the harsh reality is yet again our boys starting the way in which we've witnessed so many Welsh teams in recent history - pedestrian, lacking any urgency, and with a sheer incapability to see the game in front of them.

Harsh criticism you may think, however with the talent on display last night expectations should be high. Australia started with urgency, and from the off looked like a team who were well prepared and who genuinely wanted to win a game for their country, firmly aware that international football (or football in general) is not solely about what you do with the ball, but how you conduct yourselves as a team without it.

However, Australia were pressing so far up the pitch I would've fully expected players like Ramsey, Bale & Vaughan to fully recognise the space in behind their midfield, step up the urgency and get in behind them with some quick one touch passing and movement. The wait for our boys to exploit this, or even break a sweat, seemed endless and before we knew it we were trailing. More disappointingly it took us to fall two behind before our 'stars' decided to apply themselves in the manner in which they do for their clubs to play the game in front of them, and execute the type of movement and skill we're accustomed to watching when they play in the Premier league. The work ethic simply was not there prior to the 70th minute.

Unfortunately this was all too late, as in effect Australia had already bagged the game. Speed certainly has a mountain to climb. Not only does he have the mammoth task of assigning a signature style of play within which all Wales players feel comfortable to operate within, and integrate future generations of players, but he has to totally eradicate the currently mentality within the squad that has plagued the national team for years, and remove their apparent pre-conception that simply turning up enough. They also need to grapple and re-familiarise themselves with the modern international game i.e passing the ball around the back four for half an hour without any penetration, just for the sake of keeping possession no longer works like it did 20 years ago.

Strong leadership and a complete revamp is required in order to put pride back in the jersey. Wales has been allowed to lure itself into a sorry state of affairs and I feel, even considering the talent we have, it is now at least a 5 year job that Speed has on his hands. Whether he has the talent to deliver it remains to be seen. Its wrong saying it, but give me Cardiff City any day of the week...

Re: Woeful Wales yet again

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:56 am

Ali set the pattern by tannoying it was Cardiff v Australia then apologized for his mistake ...... what a knobhead :lol:

On the pitch then it was obvious Bale and Ramsey where holding back ready for the Prem league to start plus the Swansea contingent had better shape up or else they will become Championship players again come May , Im so glad we signed Earnie on a free coz even a £1 based on last night would be too much and if that's all Bellamy can give for £90K a week then Id rather Malky spend the money elsewhere thanks ...... and I can safely say that the SPL has officially ruined Ledley .

Over to you Gary Speed .... 4 losses in 5 games so sort it out , and soon !

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:18 am

Vintage 63 wrote:Ali set the pattern by tannoying it was Cardiff v Australia then apologized for his mistake ...... what a knobhead :lol:

On the pitch then it was obvious Bale and Ramsey where holding back ready for the Prem league to start plus the Swansea contingent had better shape up or else they will become Championship players again come May , Im so glad we signed Earnie on a free coz even a £1 based on last night would be too much and if that's all Bellamy can give for £90K a week then Id rather Malky spend the money elsewhere thanks ...... and I can safely say that the SPL has officially ruined Ledley .

I couldnt agree more mate, Ledley was fukn awful, and your right about the Prem players. I did however find Bellamy was a bit of a shining light, at least he showed a bit of passion and willingness to chase down etc. I think he was isolated a bit because the boys in the middle couldnt spread the ball!

I didnt know what Ali said mind :lol:

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:21 am

Bellamy did run and chase down BUT he's meant to be an attacking force and on last night's evidence he didnt deliver the goods ..... at least Wales dont have to pay him £90K per week , Collison did OK as did Allen later on too .

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:26 am

Allen should start in future, he was very good when he came on. Joe didn't do much wrong :? It's too easy to say, "Oh the SPL has ruined him, blah blah blah..........."

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:53 am

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:Allen should start in future, he was very good when he came on. Joe didn't do much wrong :? It's too easy to say, "Oh the SPL has ruined him, blah blah blah..........."

OK then ..... Ledley 's international form seems to have dropped since he left Cardiff for whatever reason u want :lol:

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:49 am

Vintage 63 wrote:Ali set the pattern by tannoying it was Cardiff v Australia then apologized for his mistake ...... what a knobhead :lol:

Glad i went to Oxford rather than watching wales on box.....

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:02 am

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

I wish I had stayed at home and watched it on the box too :lol:

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:05 am

Vintage 63 wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

I wish I had stayed at home and watched it on the box too :lol:

How many people wasted their hard earned cash on it?

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:14 am

Only about 6,500 of us lost souls at the CCS last nite :lol:

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:15 am

Vintage 63 wrote:Only about 6,500 of us lost souls at the CCS last nite :lol:

Fairplay to those who went. Sadly the crowds will continue to fall until we get a decent manager and a team that is worth watching.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:56 am

I feel so bad to say this but surley wales are better than that? Bale, Ramsey, Bellamy?? Three players who you think would win matches for Wales? With one postive about the jacks gaining promotion is that youth players will be raised in the premiership...Now its time for cardiff to do the same. :|

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:44 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:Only about 6,500 of us lost souls at the CCS last nite :lol:

And the Barry Horns... :lol: