Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Slightly off the subject...

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:10 pm

As a huge Boxing Fan i am curious to know if anyone else on here follows Pugilism,
With some big fights coming up in September and October here are my views on the fights ;
VICTOR ORTIZ vrs FLOYD MAYWEATHER
Ortiz is possibly the biggest threat FM has faced in recent times, He is a lot bigger,Faster and more powerful the Jm Marquez and Sugar Shane Floyd's last two opponents.
It is possible that if Ortiz catches Floyd the way Mosely did then Floyd could face the biggest problem of his career to date.
However Floyd is one of the most complete fighters of his and any generation and i believe he will frustrate Ortiz whilst putting points in the bank and taking a U.D. on points.
DARREN BARKER vrs SERGIO MARTINEZ
Daz has had a lot to deal with in his life over recent years and i fully commend his attitude and BALLS for taking this fight in the States.But after seeing Martinez knock Paul Williams out cold(some thing i thought no fighter would do) i really fear for daz in this one. That being said Benn and Honeyghan went un-fancied across the pond and came back with the Glory.
Martinez K.O win.
CARL cobra FROCH vrs ANDRE s.o.g WARD
Carl is boxings Ronseal( it does what it says on the tin) He wont be getting knocked out and is more than ready for a tear up, which makes him a constant threat. Ward is a quality operator make no doubt about it (as is Froch) but he has a style that will cause Froch problems similar to the Dirrel Froch fight, the diffrence being Ward is a far more superior fighter and will catch Froch with some heavy scoring combos.
Tough fight to call and if it was in the UK or Europe i would hand it to Carl on a split. However since its in the states Car will have to produce a finish to match the Jermaine Taylor fight to stop Ward sneaking a split or majority decision.

Thoughts?......

Re: Slightly off the subject...

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:14 pm

aj1927 wrote:As a huge Boxing Fan i am curious to know if anyone else on here follows Pugilism,
With some big fights coming up in September and October here are my views on the fights ;
Ortiz is possibly the biggest threat FM has faced in recent times, He is a lot bigger,Faster and more powerful the Jm Marquez and Sugar Shane Floyd's last two opponents.
It is possible that if Ortiz catches Floyd the way Mosely did then Floyd could face the biggest problem of his career to date.
However Floyd is one of the most complete fighters of his and any generation and i believe he will frustrate Ortiz whilst putting points in the bank and taking a U.D. on points.
Daz has had a lot to deal with in his life over recent years and i fully commend his attitude and BALLS for taking this fight in the States.But after seeing Martinez knock Paul Williams out cold(some thing i thought no fighter would do) i really fear for daz in this one. That being said Benn and Honeyghan went un-fancied across the pond and came back with the Glory.
Martinez K.O win.
Carl is boxings Ronseal( it does what it says on the tin) He wont be getting knocked out and is more than ready for a tear up, which makes him a constant threat. Ward is a quality operator make no doubt about it (as is Froch) but he has a style that will cause Froch problems similar to the Dirrel Froch fight, the diffrence being Ward is a far more superior fighter and will catch Froch with some heavy scoring combos.
Tough fight to call and if it was in the UK or Europe i would hand it to Carl on a split. However since its in the states Car will have to produce a finish to match the Jermaine Taylor fight to stop Ward sneaking a split or majority decision.

Thoughts?......

I think you some it up well, but NEVER underestimate, The man mayweather... pure class... :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:23 pm

I have never Underestimated PBF..and never will. I believe the only fighter he slightly underestimated was Jose Luis Castillo who IMO is the only fighter to ever come close to putting a blemish on his record.. Floyd is a clever man and he has surrounded himself with equaly clever people (Floyd Senior apart)....It will take some one or something to get a close and Castilli got....Roach and Pac maybe,maybe not?

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:33 pm

agree with all your predictions but think froch will lose by a slightly wider margin, maybe 3 or four rounds and barker will put up a decent fight before being stopped in about 8. think the fight has come a bit to soon for barker, theres no doubt he has championship level ability but i just dont think hes had enough fights at that level to take on the number 1. think he could have built it up over a year or 2 fighting other contenders before taking the big one. hope im wrong though! would love to see him to it, as iwould with froch.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:37 pm

Yeah i think Daz would have a chance against Felix Sturm (even in Germany) get a belt couple of defences then try Sergio.Its a huge ask and a even bigger step.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Good fight this weekend Abner Mares v Joseph Agbeko....
I rate Mares and he comes off a good win over the tough Vic Darchinyan and although the only blemish on his record was a draw against Yonnhy Perez(i scored it for mares) who beat Agbeko.I expect a tear up with Mares winning in a gun-ho mexican style

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:52 pm

yes sturm would be a good shout, still a tough fight but a step dpwn from martinez. danny geale is a very beatable champ in that division. holds the ibf and barker would have the beating of him all day. also i think barker beats chavez jr all day long but martinez will be a step to far at the moment.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:27 pm

supercoops wrote:
aj1927 wrote:As a huge Boxing Fan i am curious to know if anyone else on here follows Pugilism,
Martinez K.O win.

Thoughts?......

I think you some it up well, but NEVER underestimate, The man mayweather... pure class... :ayatollah:

Calzaghe had him.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:31 pm

yes il be tuning in to the mares-agbeko fight. been a long time coming, wasnt the first date for the fight cancelled a few months back? i predict the same as u, mares to win a pretty wide u.d after a good old entertaining scrap. love to see him take on nonito donaire in a unification sometime next year then. brilliant potential fight!

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:34 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
supercoops wrote:
Martinez K.O win.

Thoughts?......

Calzaghe had him.

Well we will never find out unfortunately, although IMO i think it would've be a similar fight as Reid v Calzaghe and JC shading it.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:48 pm

are we talking calzaghe v froch here? think calzaghe would have won by 5 or so rounds in a definite fight of the year! would have loved to have seen it! dont blame joe for not fighting him tho, froch was just to late arriving at world level. if he had got there a couple of years earlier i think joe would have bitten your hand off for a fight and a big domestic rival like froch.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Mares v Donaire and Juanma Lopez v Gamboa fights that must happen in 2012