Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NO MORE A VIRGIN

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:53 pm

After trying the new TIVO pvr from virgin, and being left disappointed with it, I have cancelled my subscription with them and gone back to sky on a half price deal for 12 months.

I am now looking to buy a 3DTV for the house, has anyone got a 3DTV and if so I need to know whether it is advisable to keep the tv at eye level or can I keep it hung on a wall at higher view point.

Re: NO MORE A VIRGIN

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:55 pm

Bloody Hell Carl,

Thought you were dead. :lol:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Call that an update? :lol:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:02 pm

droopy wrote:Bloody Hell Carl,

Thought you were dead. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My dads mate go one from comet in a sale 50 inch its class

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:03 pm

carlccfc wrote:After trying the new TIVO pvr from virgin, and being left disappointed with it, I have cancelled my subscription with them and gone back to sky on a half price deal for 12 months.

I am now looking to buy a 3DTV for the house, has anyone got a 3DTV and if so I need to know whether it is advisable to keep the tv at eye level or can I keep it hung on a wall at higher view point.

Try Camden Market ,should be some good deals up there ;)

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:05 pm

carlccfc wrote:After trying the new TIVO pvr from virgin, and being left disappointed with it, I have cancelled my subscription with them and gone back to sky on a half price deal for 12 months.

I work in a well known store in Cardiff and i would recommend putting your 3d on the wall at a higher level and put slightly tilted to get the best effect. You will the endure a mind f**k of the brain with all the 3d technology :lol: :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:07 pm

Try Ebay or comet this is a cardiff city message board !!

You dont write , text , email then come on looking advise !! CHEEK :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will exchange info for mega update

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:16 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Try Ebay or comet this is a cardiff city message board !!

You dont write , text , email then come on looking advise !! CHEEK :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will exchange info for mega update

:lol: :lol:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:17 pm

ccfcgrangeend wrote:

I work in a well known store in Cardiff and i would recommend putting your 3d on the wall at a higher level and put slightly tilted to get the best effect. You will the endure a mind f**k of the brain with all the 3d technology :lol: :ayatollah:

That is the way I have my HDtv set up at present and am glad you say I can do the same with the 3DTV otherwise I would have a large hole to fill in my wall :D :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:22 pm

yeah Carl its the best way to watch 3d . Try to get the glasses chucked in for free as they can be expensive go for blue ray player dvd wise . Get the hd scart leads and make sure you ask around what 3d tv is the best as they can vary on different models and sizes. Samsung, Sharp and Sony seem to be the popular 3ds at the moment. :ayatollah: When your in any shop haggle the price down or try and get something chucked in as they would rather leave a small loss than nothing at all trust me on this one i know what im gibbering on about :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Carl
Welcome back hope you've had a lovely break? I have mine at eye level and when you switch the 3D on its brilliant another bonus is no adverts at half time!!!!!

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:36 pm

Got a mate who works for an electrical retailer I'll ask him tomorrow, he's up from Plymouth for the weekend.

Before anyone asks this ex Cardiff person is not you know who

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:52 pm

Carl, I have a 50" 3DTV mounted slightly above eye level. There is no problem with the picture viewing angle. Even sitting to the side there is no loss of picture quality.

I've cancelled Sky 3D channel for the time being. A lot of repeats which I have already seen. Plus you have to have the full package plus HD subscription to get Sky 3D channel

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Cardiff Crazy wrote:

Carl, I have a 50" 3DTV mounted slightly above eye level. There is no problem with the picture viewing angle. Even sitting to the side there is no loss of picture quality.

I've cancelled Sky 3D channel for the time being. A lot of repeats which I have already seen. Plus you have to have the full package plus HD subscription to get Sky 3D channel

I have signed up (again) for Sky world with HD but want to get the 3DTV now :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:01 pm

ccfcgrangeend wrote:yeah Carl its the best way to watch 3d . Try to get the glasses chucked in for free as they can be expensive go for blue ray player dvd wise . Get the hd scart leads and make sure you ask around what 3d tv is the best as they can vary on different models and sizes. Samsung, Sharp and Sony seem to be the popular 3ds at the moment. :ayatollah: When your in any shop haggle the price down or try and get something chucked in as they would rather leave a small loss than nothing at all trust me on this one i know what im gibbering on about :ayatollah:

Got the hdmi leads in my current set up, with a sony surround sound system to boot, my current LCD HDTV is Samsung and the picture has been brilliant to be fair and I have had it for 4 years.

It is a case of lifting the 40" off the wall and replacing with something between 40"-46" but fancy I will probably go for LED this time.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:02 pm

bethanmattsgrampy wrote:Carl
Welcome back hope you've had a lovely break? I have mine at eye level and when you switch the 3D on its brilliant another bonus is no adverts at half time!!!!!

Great holiday. :ayatollah:

I will keep mine at above eye level and tilt like my current TV.

Looking forward to the 3D though :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:02 pm

BlueView wrote:

Got a mate who works for an electrical retailer I'll ask him tomorrow, he's up from Plymouth for the weekend.

Before anyone asks this ex Cardiff person is not you know who

Cheers :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:03 pm

ccfcgrangeend wrote:yeah Carl its the best way to watch 3d . Try to get the glasses chucked in for free as they can be expensive go for blue ray player dvd wise . Get the hd scart leads and make sure you ask around what 3d tv is the best as they can vary on different models and sizes. Samsung, Sharp and Sony seem to be the popular 3ds at the moment. :ayatollah: When your in any shop haggle the price down or try and get something chucked in as they would rather leave a small loss than nothing at all trust me on this one i know what im gibbering on about :ayatollah:

With the Blue Ray I got a PS3 and I believe Sony have just released 3.70 which patches the PS3 to play 3D :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:03 pm

carlccfc wrote:
Cardiff Crazy wrote:

I have signed up (again) for Sky world with HD but want to get the 3DTV now :ayatollah:

I couldn't wait either :lol:

I bought the Blu-Ray 3D player as well. The films are amazing. Much better than the cinema.

To be fair the best thing I have seen so far on Sky 3D was the golf last year in Newport. Mind blowing.

Sky just needs more 3D content to be fair

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:13 pm

carlccfc wrote:

With the Blue Ray I got a PS3 and I believe Sony have just released 3.70 which patches the PS3 to play 3D :ayatollah:

If you buy it from a retailer just watch out for the old "You must have a 3D HDMI cable" Its rubbish the newer 1.3/1.4 HDMI cables will carry the 3D signal. :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Cardiff Crazy wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

If you buy it from a retailer just watch out for the old "You must have a 3D HDMI cable" Its rubbish the newer 1.3/1.4 HDMI cables will carry the 3D signal. :ayatollah:

cheers mate :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:16 pm

carlccfc wrote:

Got the hdmi leads in my current set up, with a sony surround sound system to boot, my current LCD HDTV is Samsung and the picture has been brilliant to be fair and I have had it for 4 years.

It is a case of lifting the 40" off the wall and replacing with something between 40"-46" but fancy I will probably go for LED this time.

Plasma's are better when viewing 3D :ayatollah:

http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/3dtv/pla ... cd-3d.html

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:18 pm

carlccfc wrote:

defo go for the LED as its a much much superior picture quality i have the Sharp Quattro 40" HD LED ir=ts the only tv with the 4 pixels in the tv as every other one has just the three red,green and blue pixels. The Sharp Quattro has the added yellow pixel in the tv and its amazing picture , i recommend this as well a smart looking tv and when your watching its almost like 3D its a quality tv cant rate it high enough . :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:37 pm

Definitely :lol: go for a plasma! Plasma still better at smooth display of fast movement than the other technologies. Football is much smoother on plasma, well some teams play fast...
I have a Panasonic 65" VT30 3D which is just unbelievable quality and a great looking TV. It's a big screen but you quickly get used to that.
Doesn't matter where you put it on the wall the vast viewing angle gives a fabulous immersive picture from anywhere.
Unbelievably life like and way better than the grotty screens in the cinema. It has thoroughly amazed me that 3D is so good already, when I bought the TV I expected much less.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:54 pm

[/quote]
That is the way I have my HDtv set up at present and am glad you say I can do the same with the 3DTV otherwise I would have a large hole to fill in my wall [/quote]

you could've always put up a big picture of annis on your wall to fill the gap

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:03 pm

MrANon wrote:

That is the way I have my HDtv set up at present and am glad you say I can do the same with the 3DTV otherwise I would have a large hole to fill in my wall [/quote]

you could've always put up a big picture of annis on your wall to fill the gap[/quote]
No he is on the opposite wall :D

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:07 pm

MrANon wrote:

you could've always put up a big picture of annis on your wall to fill the gap[/quote]

or your head mounted with a plaque underneath saying DICKHEAD :lol:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:19 pm

ccfcgrangeend wrote:
MrANon wrote:

That is the way I have my HDtv set up at present and am glad you say I can do the same with the 3DTV otherwise I would have a large hole to fill in my wall

or your head mounted with a plaque underneath saying DICKHEAD :lol:[/quote]

oooo look at you getting all defensive
was a joke mate, just like Carl took it as in his reply

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:29 pm

I have a Panasonic plasma TX-P50VT20B and a Panasonic DMP-BDT100 Blu-ray player, I got two pairs of glasses 3D-EW3D10E thrown in as part of the deal. I am delighted with the TV pictures and the network connection to my home wi- fi, that links to the Internet. Great for watching YouTube and Google web albums (Picasa). Panasonic supplied four free Blu-ray DVDs, but as they are kids stuff I was not too interested. Not many DVDs available at present, but the DVD player upscales other DVDs and I am impressed. I will not pay for Sky, watch satellite through my Humax Foxsat-HDR, and there is very little 3D available. I watch straight on and love the pictures. Much better than my old Sony LED.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:30 pm

What was the matter with the Tivo Carl - why were you disappointed?