Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Question from a neutral regarding Whittingham

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi, I'm just curious as to how you Cardiff fans rate Peter Whittingham? Whenever I see him on TV he looks a terrific player who should be playing at the very highest level, and I'm surprised that there hasn't been more interest in him from Premier League clubs. Maybe I've missed something, but from what I've seen he honestly looks good enough to play for England. Is his attitude a problem? Does he lack pace badly? He seems very intelligent, composed and creative on the pitch and has a great track record with not getting injured. I really hope you get promoted this season as I want to see him and Darcy Blake (I watched him when he was on loan at Plymouth and he was immense at right-back) playing top opposition.

Thanks.

Re: Question from a neutral regarding Whittingham

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:26 pm

JonHam000 wrote:Hi, I'm just curious as to how you Cardiff fans rate Peter Whittingham? Whenever I see him on TV he looks a terrific player who should be playing at the very highest level, and I'm surprised that there hasn't been more interest in him from Premier League clubs. Maybe I've missed something, but from what I've seen he honestly looks good enough to play for England. Is his attitude a problem? Does he lack pace badly? He seems very intelligent, composed and creative on the pitch and has a great track record with not getting injured. I really hope you get promoted this season as I want to see him and Darcy Blake (I watched him when he was on loan at Plymouth and he was immense at right-back) playing top opposition.

Thanks.

Whitts is a class act at Championship level. But under previous management was
perhaps not utilised to the best of his ability.

Mackay appears to want to play him as the focal point of our midfield, and its
definitely looking good so far.

Whether he's 'premiership' quality is impossible to say.

Although he did pretty well against an all premiership West Ham midfield last
week, that in a team thats hardly ever played together.

England? He's a better playmaker that Gerrard or Lampard, but thats not the
type of player they look for is it really, and i think Wilshire is a better player
than Whitts

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:28 pm

I Think theres a split view on Whittigham. But i think hes our best player for the past 2/3 seasons along with Mcnaughton. :ayatollah:
Surprised a team like Bolton havent tried to snap him up. Am sure some will disagree with me, but there we go :D

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:36 pm

Top quality player and 1 of my fav but can frustrate and go missin in games especially when our backs r against the wall

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:18 pm

Daniel_PT_blues wrote:Top quality player and 1 of my fav but can frustrate and go missin in games especially when our backs r against the wall

Having said that, he came into the game more and more against West Ham even
though the whole team struggled to come to terms with them for a good portion
of the game. He stuck with it, knuckled down and got on with his defensive duties
until we had our periods with the ball.. where he did very well!

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:36 pm

taffyapple wrote:
JonHam000 wrote:Hi, I'm just curious as to how you Cardiff fans rate Peter Whittingham? Whenever I see him on TV he looks a terrific player who should be playing at the very highest level, and I'm surprised that there hasn't been more interest in him from Premier League clubs. Maybe I've missed something, but from what I've seen he honestly looks good enough to play for England. Is his attitude a problem? Does he lack pace badly? He seems very intelligent, composed and creative on the pitch and has a great track record with not getting injured. I really hope you get promoted this season as I want to see him and Darcy Blake (I watched him when he was on loan at Plymouth and he was immense at right-back) playing top opposition.

Thanks.

Whitts is a class act at Championship level. But under previous management was
perhaps not utilised to the best of his ability.

How can you possibly claim that when he scored nearly 40 goals in 2 season from Midfield under Jones :?

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:39 pm

Quality player at this level, not sure about the Prem though. Personally prefer him on the left, and thats the position he prefers.

Technically he is superb but he is not strong enough to play in a 2 man centre midfield, especially in the Premiership.

Divides opinion here because hes not a chest thumper, and when he is not having a good game people take his shy demenaour for laziness. But thats Cardiff fans for you

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:42 pm

All Whitts is lacking is pace he aint exactly the fastest !

but he works better in the CAM role rarther than a wide one :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:51 pm

taffyapple wrote:
Daniel_PT_blues wrote:Top quality player and 1 of my fav but can frustrate and go missin in games especially when our backs r against the wall

Having said that, he came into the game more and more against West Ham even
though the whole team struggled to come to terms with them for a good portion
of the game. He stuck with it, knuckled down and got on with his defensive duties
until we had our periods with the ball.. where he did very well!

Yeh he hasnt put a foot wrong this season so far mate,and last season he was deffo 1 of our better players

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:19 pm

i disagree with anyone that says a bad word about whitts
best championship player in my eyes
and wouldnt look out of place in any prem midfield :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Good thing about Whitts is that he reads the game very well, has a great footballing head, and has the technique to complete that killler pass with hair splitting precision, he seems to avoid alot of tackles, or releases the ball earlier than most players before a silly tackle is even made.....and most of all SCORES a silly amount of goals from midfield too! I honestly think that if he could get his fitness and work rate spot on and not pull out of tackles so easily then he wouldn't look out of place up in the top half of the premiership! :ayatollah: easily worth more than £3m!

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:35 pm

i wish we could have 2 Whittingham's to be honest...

one coming in from the left getting into the positions to score goals like he was a few seasons back

and one as the focal point of the midfield, preferrably the deepest in a diamond as Malky has employed him a few times, as i feel he controls the game there

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Truly wonderful player.

Disagree about his tackling - in the games I've seen so far this season he certainly hasn't been pulling out of any challenges, far from it !

Most fans are so lazy and uneducated they just point to his weaknesses as his apparent dislike of tackling and his tendency to go missing in games. Bollocks - if there's one thing I remember about Dave Jones it's him rubbishing these opinions of people who believed (and some still do :roll: ) that Whitts is a lazy bugger. I remember him saying that the stats they had at their disposal proved that Whitts runs more and works harder than most of his teammates !

Almost every QPR fan will tell you Taarabt does very little every game he plays, but it's his brilliance at crucial moments that won them the league last season, really !

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:18 pm

I think he is a class act, so underrated its unbelievable and can see why MM is building a team around him.
Wouldnt say he was let down under previous management, his record the last two seasons has been nothing short of sensational in terms of goal and assists.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Think he's massively underrated many people judged him just on goals when I think overall he had a better season last year than his goal frenzy season the year before, even though still not utilised the best. Now under MM we are seeing his best and he does seem to have his head screwed on the tightest it's been. At this level there are few as good as him. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: