A forum for all things Cardiff City

SUPERKEV - OUR SQUAD ISNT AS STRONG!

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:20 am

In his interview, Kev alluded to the fact that we dont have as many good
players this season. Bristol City have mentioned that they think we are
weaker.

Is it just me that thinks we are stronger this season? Lets look at the
players we've lost.

Bellamy. Well the mans class speaks for itself, but he hardly played at the start of the
season and was struggling with injury. So a fit, eager Craig Conway could prove just
as effective, particularly if he stays injury free. Lets not forget, Bellers is still very
likely to come back here in the next week or so.

Chopra. I'm not going to slag Chops off, he was a BRILLIANT player for Cardiff City
but always scored in fits and bursts, and last season, Whatever the problem was, he
wasnt at his best. Earnshaw is as likely to score goals as Chops was last season

Bothroyd. On fire for the first half of the season, after that you wouldnt have known
he was on the pitch half the time, pretty ineffective. Kenny Miller is likely to score
as many as Bothroyd, but not only that, he contributes more to the team effort.

Burke. Simply not the player he had been. Great bloke but personal stuff may have
taken the edge off his game.

Thats our 'strikeforce' sorted. I really dont see a big difference in the capability then
and now apart from Craig, who, like I said, didnt really do much for the first few
months anyway.

Midfield. simply... Gunnarsson, Cowie, Whittingham and Conway are a far more
effective unit than Drinkwater, Olifinjana, Whittingham and an unfit Bellamy

Defence... Adding Taylor and Gerrard OBVIOUSLY means the defence is stronger,
particularly as it frees McNaughton to go to his best position at Right Back.

So are we weaker?? I dont see it!

...and there are still a minimum of three players to come. Bellamy probably one of
them. But from his dealings so far, i think Malky knows who he wants and is just
biding his time

Re: SUPERKEV - OUR SQUAD ISNT AS STRONG!

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:37 am

its hard to say this earlier in the season. we haven't got the star players we had last season and i don't think we have as many goals in us but as you said our defence looks stronger.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:41 am

Player for player, we are weaker, yes. But our strength this season is in the squad's togetherness. We're not that much weaker, but the resilience is there and it wasn't when we needed it to be at the end of last season

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:43 am

murphy wrote:its hard to say this earlier in the season. we haven't got the star players we had last season and i don't think we have as many goals in us but as you said our defence looks stronger.

Yeah, it's strange that. We've bought one player in (Taylor) and it's made all the difference. Him, and the return of Gerard who, himself, is like having a new signing

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:14 am

We are stronger because we have Malky not that windbag Dave Jones :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:27 am

Nottage Blue wrote:Player for player, we are weaker, yes. But our strength this season is in the squad's togetherness. We're not that much weaker, but the resilience is there and it wasn't when we needed it to be at the end of last season

See, if we take the comparison between Bothroyd and Miller..

Kenny has a far better goals per game ratio than Bothroyd and
has scored goals at a higher level. AND is more consistent. So
on that I'd have to say Kenny is better!

Chops and Earnie.. Well i prefer Chops, he offers more than Earnshaw.
But goals per game ratio.. Earnie is a bit better AND has scored more
Premiership goals.

Chris Burke? Well the whole of Scotland rates Conway as a better player

So Bellamy apart. Where's the weakness? And lets not forget Craig was
pretty ineffective for much of the season cos of his injuries.

The NAMES Bothroyd, Bellamy and Chopra sound more high-profile and
better. But the reality is... none of them were all that last season. Not
consistently, or we'd be in the Premiership

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:34 am

We have a team this year not a group of individuals. There is no reason we cannot be a stronger team. So far so good.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:40 am

taffyapple wrote:In his interview, Kev alluded to the fact that we dont have as many good
weaker.

players we've lost.

Bellamy. Well the mans class speaks for itself, but he hardly played at the start of the
season and was struggling with injury. So a fit, eager Craig Conway could prove just
as effective, particularly if he stays injury free. Lets not forget, Bellers is still very

Chopra. I'm not going to slag Chops off, he was a BRILLIANT player for Cardiff City
but always scored in fits and bursts, and last season, Whatever the problem was, he
wasnt at his best. Earnshaw is as likely to score goals as Chops was last season

Bothroyd. On fire for the first half of the season, after that you wouldnt have known
he was on the pitch half the time, pretty ineffective. Kenny Miller is likely to score

Burke. Simply not the player he had been. Great bloke but personal stuff may have

Thats our 'strikeforce' sorted. I really dont see a big difference in the capability then
and now apart from Craig, who, like I said, didnt really do much for the first few
months anyway.

...and there are still a minimum of three players to come. Bellamy probably one of
them. But from his dealings so far, i think Malky knows who he wants and is just
biding his time

What always puzzles me is why on everyone of your posts does every other line only contain one or two words?? :lol:

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:43 am

taffyapple wrote:
Nottage Blue wrote:Player for player, we are weaker, yes. But our strength this season is in the squad's togetherness. We're not that much weaker, but the resilience is there and it wasn't when we needed it to be at the end of last season

See, if we take the comparison between Bothroyd and Miller..

Kenny has a far better goals per game ratio than Bothroyd and
has scored goals at a higher level. AND is more consistent. So
on that I'd have to say Kenny is better!

Chops and Earnie.. Well i prefer Chops, he offers more than Earnshaw.
But goals per game ratio.. Earnie is a bit better AND has scored more
Premiership goals.

Chris Burke? Well the whole of Scotland rates Conway as a better player

So Bellamy apart. Where's the weakness? And lets not forget Craig was
pretty ineffective for much of the season cos of his injuries.

The NAMES Bothroyd, Bellamy and Chopra sound more high-profile and
better. But the reality is... none of them were all that last season. Not
consistently, or we'd be in the Premiership
also we are used to the names of bothroyd Bellamy and Chopra, give it a couple of weeks and our new players will be household names :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: .....i hope :lol:

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:45 am

Bakedalasker wrote:We have a team this year not a group of individuals. There is no reason we cannot be a stronger team. So far so good.

This ^^^^ Could do with another winger and a forward, though.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:47 am

Merlin wrote:
taffyapple wrote:In his interview, Kev alluded to the fact that we dont have as many good
weaker.

players we've lost.

months anyway.

biding his time

What always puzzles me is why on everyone of your posts does every other line only contain one or two words?? :lol:

they are 'bullet points' mate.

They are supposed to catch the eye

mine never

do

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:52 am

bluebirdbaz wrote: also we are used to the names of bothroyd Bellamy and Chopra, give it a couple of weeks and our new players will be household names :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: .....i hope :lol:

Which ones of our old players were household names???? :D

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:01 am

Nottage Blue wrote:
bluebirdbaz wrote: also we are used to the names of bothroyd Bellamy and Chopra, give it a couple of weeks and our new players will be household names :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: .....i hope :lol:

Which ones of our old players were household names???? :D

JIF

Oh no, sorry, that was JET wasnt it :lol: :lol:

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:29 pm

We were never a TEAM last season, so I'm of the opinion we are stronger. :old:

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:01 pm

I think it's great to see Kev speaking honestly and openly, quite refreshing to hear, It's also good that he is subtly saying that basically we were lazy bastards last season who were only out for personal gains whereas this season people are realising it takes a full squad of players to get promoted from this league!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:08 pm

taffyapple wrote:
Merlin wrote:
weaker.

players we've lost.

months anyway.

biding his time

they are 'bullet points' mate.

They are supposed to catch the eye

mine never

do

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant humour :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:14 pm

Good post,,,,& on a topic that i have been thinking about myself. Personally, i don't think we are any worse this season than last, & with a bit of tinkering & a few more additions i think, & believe, we are & will be a lot stronger!

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:53 pm

we havent got household names now. we got hungry players. players not just going through the motions.and a hungry manager. i dont care if we dont get in the play-offs. i would prefer to watch players who want to play football for cardiff city :ayatollah: