Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MALKY: 'WE'RE WAY DOWN ON NUMBERS'

Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:16 am

"Gunnarsson has a twisted ankle. Is out for a week. Darcy has had another few days training but his match fitness is not there. But he's fine. McPhail is going in the right direction. Should be back in the next two weeks.

The wins have been great and the way they've played and applied themselves have been great. Nobody is getting carried away. They've worked really hard and taken everything on board but it's coming. It's about keeping the players fresh.

There's nothing to get carried away with. It's a long hard season and we need to apply ourselves. But it's nice to get a win for our fans at home.

Brighton were great last season. they've got a new stadim and momentum and will be a tough test for us. They play good passing football and we've got to make sure we are at our best. I've met Gus and he's a passionate football man and loves his football. We've got our analysis done and I've seen them close up last season. They are a team who likes to pass the ball and work hard for each other. Will Buckley limped off the other night so I don't know if he will play but he is an exciting player.

This is another diferent style of team but we've got to be energetic. We're at home and it's about how we start and apply ourselves. Sunday in a local derby we were very calm and we picked passes well and covered well.

There are less bodies available tomorrow but Joe Mason has hit the ground running. He'd warmed up well and affected the game which I was delighted with. The hard work the players are putting in gets them organised. It wont always come off but they know what they're doing and they have options open to them.

League 1 and the Championship are very close. Some teams had bigger budgets in the team below last year, which I found to my cost. There are big clubs down there and if they get their acts together they can hit the ground running in the Championship and they are able to invest in big players like Craig Macakail Smith. They are not looked at as a favourite to go down. It certainly makes it competitive.

Everybody has their own ideas on how they want to play and there are different ways to win a game. You have to be adaptable one way or another. Gus is someone who is passionate about football and his country. He's someone with a good structure at Brighton and is destined to do well.

We are chipping away at new players but a lot of my targets on frees are gone. We are looking at clubs looking at their squad before letting loan players out. We're also looking at clubs who don't put prices up too high because it has to be right for the club. I'm looking at loans and players to sign. If I can do business before the loan window then great but I need to strengthen the whole squad. We're way down on numbers to mount a challenge."

Re: MALKY: 'WE'RE WAY DOWN ON NUMBERS'

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:08 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:"Gunnarsson has a twisted ankle. Is out for a week. Darcy has had another few days training but his match fitness is not there. But he's fine. McPhail is going in the right direction. Should be back in the next two weeks.

The wins have been great and the way they've played and applied themselves have been great. Nobody is getting carried away. They've worked really hard and taken everything on board but it's coming. It's about keeping the players fresh.

There's nothing to get carried away with. It's a long hard season and we need to apply ourselves. But it's nice to get a win for our fans at home.

Brighton were great last season. they've got a new stadim and momentum and will be a tough test for us. They play good passing football and we've got to make sure we are at our best. I've met Gus and he's a passionate football man and loves his football. We've got our analysis done and I've seen them close up last season. They are a team who likes to pass the ball and work hard for each other. Will Buckley limped off the other night so I don't know if he will play but he is an exciting player.

This is another diferent style of team but we've got to be energetic. We're at home and it's about how we start and apply ourselves. Sunday in a local derby we were very calm and we picked passes well and covered well.

There are less bodies available tomorrow but Joe Mason has hit the ground running. He'd warmed up well and affected the game which I was delighted with. The hard work the players are putting in gets them organised. It wont always come off but they know what they're doing and they have options open to them.

League 1 and the Championship are very close. Some teams had bigger budgets in the team below last year, which I found to my cost. There are big clubs down there and if they get their acts together they can hit the ground running in the Championship and they are able to invest in big players like Craig Macakail Smith. They are not looked at as a favourite to go down. It certainly makes it competitive.

Everybody has their own ideas on how they want to play and there are different ways to win a game. You have to be adaptable one way or another. Gus is someone who is passionate about football and his country. He's someone with a good structure at Brighton and is destined to do well.

We are chipping away at new players but a lot of my targets on frees are gone. We are looking at clubs looking at their squad before letting loan players out. We're also looking at clubs who don't put prices up too high because it has to be right for the club. I'm looking at loans and players to sign. If I can do business before the loan window then great but I need to strengthen the whole squad. We're way down on numbers to mount a challenge."

Sounds like he's ready to give Mason a start.

I just hope his bit about chasing free transfers etc is bluff. When the Club sit down
and negotiate for Bellamy and other players it will suit us to appear skint!!

I hope to f**k thats the case anyways

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:44 pm

Hopefully just a bit of spin to keep our feet on the ground. Otherwise it sounds like excuses are already being made, that would not be good!

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:49 pm

rb1976 wrote:Hopefully just a bit of spin to keep our feet on the ground. Otherwise it sounds like excuses are already being made, that would not be good!

The more I think about it, the more i think its so we dont walk into any negotiations
with "BILLIONAIRE OWNERS" written all over our faces

Scottish Mackay is isnt he? They wouldnt part with shit unless they were touching cloth ***

*** To all our Scottish fans, thats said tongue in cheek ;)

Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Time will tell so I'm keeping my theories to myself but I'm quietly confident some of the alledged allocated fund will be spent on some quality.

Even if the squad isn't strengthened I believe OUR manager can get the best out of what we've got, maybe I've got rose tinted glasses on but I've seen so far has been inspiring.

Keep up the good work Malky and go get some stock !