Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gavin Rae

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:35 am

i'm hesitant to criticise at the moment as i believe we are so limited with options we need to go with what we've got, and the team spirit seems to have improved ten fold recently. But i struggle to see how rae is a championship player! I dont see any positives in his game whatsoever, he cant pass, head tackle, score and he's gotta be the only player slower than hudson, he just seems to be jogging everywhere. I also agree with another poster that kennedy seems to have passed it now, but the rest of the team were excellent last night particularly the front four, bothroyd, ross, burke and chops they worked their balls off

Re: Gavin Rae

Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:39 am

Very poor passing last night, & was caught in possesion far too easy aswell.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:02 pm

This conversation has been echoed everywhere. He seems a nice guy but to be honest most of the fans are nice guys and we wouldn't expect to be praised if we weren't good enough.

We have to start with Taiwo or Blake in central midfield alongside Wildig. Rae's inability can't be good for Wildig's development. McCormack needs more game time as well. He's looking so rusty right now it's unbelievable.

I liked Rae when he first signed because he was that 'destroyer' everyone labelled him. However, now he can't intercept, he doesn't look for the ball, he loses possession, can't pass, can't header, can't track a man, can't dribble, can't shoot. Time for a change. He's lucky Wildig got exhausted last night because he was a sure fire for substitution.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:10 pm

it's hard to argue with jones picking whitts as first choice but personally i'd rather play ross out wide cos he has the ability to go past a man. I dont think i've seen whitts even attempt to take a man on at all this season. I would prefer to see whitts more central but i don't we have anyone who can do his dirty work for him, maybe blake

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:13 pm

thehumblegringo wrote:it's hard to argue with jones picking whitts as first choice but personally i'd rather play ross out wide cos he has the ability to go past a man. I dont think i've seen whitts even attempt to take a man on at all this season. I would prefer to see whitts more central but i don't we have anyone who can do his dirty work for him, maybe blake

With all due respect - This is one man Dave Jones has utilised well - else he wouldn't be the championships top scorer with 19 goals......

I see what your saying - but each player has his role.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:20 pm

To be fair, most of Whittingham's goals have been from either penalties, free kicks or when he's drifted into the middle.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Why can't Jonesy see it though? I am telling you he would get murdered in league one let alone the championship!

Taiwo has failed to settle but at least he gets stuck in and is a physical presence in the middle- I am sorry if he can't do a better job than Rae we are SERIOUSLY in trouble.

We looked a lot more solid once Darcy came on in the middle as well last night.

Please please Please Jonesy take Rae out cos I am sick of my own moaning about how shite he is!!!!! :evil:

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:34 pm

That's the annoying thing. Rae doesn't even look to make the effort any more. He stands off his marker, never looks for the ball, rarely runs around doggedly. At least Blake and Wildig make up for their current lack of ability at this level by running tirelessly and chasing everything.

I can tolerate bad ability but not bad effort.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Rae is most definitely out of his depth in the championship.
Posters on the other board saying that he is playing through injury at the moment due to lack of numbers, but if this is the case why was he kept on last night when Darcy came on for Wildig.
I have watched Rae closely over a couple of games this season, and to be honest he offers nothing, his second touch always seems to be an attempted tackle, due to his first touch being so bad.
His goals to games ratio must be shocking for a midfielder, but this is not surprising when you see how badly off target his shooting is.
I know we are struggling for numbers at the moment, but surely we need to give others a chance.
Hopefully McPhail will be back soon and can play alongside Wildig in the middle.
Until then, Taiwo should be given a chance.
I know his first couple of appearances were not that good, but he put in a decent enough performance against Bristol City in the cup to warrant another chance.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:01 pm

As my brother said to me last night, the best description of Gavin Rae is....

TRAINING CONE