Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What was your first big football match you went to ?

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:18 pm

My first big match I went to was the Man City v Spurs FA Cup Final replay in 1981

Amazing game with Ricardo Villa running round what felt like about twenty players to score the winning goal and win the game 3 -2

Re: What was your first big football match you went to ?

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:24 pm

cant really think, havn't seen that many big games with cardiff apart from the obvious ones so its probably Arsenal v Chelsea in the community shied in the millenium

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:27 pm

I went to the 1998 Man Utd vs Arsenal Community Shield match in 1998 at Wembley because it was my mate's birthday present from his dad. A good day out but it made me realise how hard I find it to sit and watch a game as a neutral in a stadium. I can't do it any more.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:29 pm

City v Arsenal, Jan '69, 55,000 crowd, 0-0 draw, couldn't see much from the back of the Enclosure.. but I was hooked...

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:46 pm

it was liverpool v aston villa in the late 80's early 90's at anfield

but imo my biggest game was my first city game :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:52 pm

Shit, sorry I forgot that my first big match was Wales vs Germany in 1991 when we beat them 1-0! I was only 8 years old and loved it. 'Give us a wave Nev!'. Haha.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Zabier wrote:Shit, sorry I forgot that my first big match was Wales vs Germany in 1991 when we beat them 1-0! I was only 8 years old and loved it. 'Give us a wave Nev!'. Haha.

same as me. top tier back row. broke my old mans brolly. ian rush get in

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Top tier back row? One of your mates didn't fall backwards over his chair did he? We were one row from the back behind the opposite goal to which Rush scored and some guy fell off his seat near the end and took a load of people out.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Started going in 1972, but I reckon first biggest match was Hereford home at NINIAN PARK about 1975, WEll Over 35,000 Fans there, OLD DIVISION 3, We Won 2-1 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Cardiff v Pompey...FA Cup Final at Wembley!!!.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................Just Joking!

Think it was Wales v Scotland,Home Internationals in the 70s.Toshack & Flynns 1 2 passing goal ..think we won 3-2.Had a sore arse from sitting on a wooden bench in the Canton end and some bounda tried nicking my Wales scarfe which was still around my neck! :lol: :lol:

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:05 pm

Zabier wrote:Top tier back row? One of your mates didn't fall backwards over his chair did he? We were one row from the back behind the opposite goal to which Rush scored and some guy fell off his seat near the end and took a load of people out.

same end, but in line with corner flag lol
loved to have seen that fall tho

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:09 pm

My first big game was wales v england in early 80s (Trevor Francis scored)
My first big CCFC game in terms of big crowd was either Luton (10000) when we lost 3-2 or Orient the following season when we won 2-0 to get promotion.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Cardiff v Swansea 97/98 i think? Not really a big match but was big for me because it was my first football match and the start of my love for the club :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:48 pm

home to hereford 75

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:06 pm

Swansea V Liverpool at the vetch !!!

Swans won 2-0 , and Ray kennedy and Colin Irwin were in the Swansea side - I was very young and took to teddy bears to the match. One with a swansea kit and the other with a Liverpool kit :lol:

crowd was 22,000 I think and it was season 81/82 If I recall.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:07 pm

Wales v Italy

When Wales won 2-1 Bellamy :ayatollah: